Ml270 smoking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gardy4

Car
mercedes ml 270 cdi
Hi there new to the forum so thanks in advance.

First of its a merc ml270 cdi

Car was running fine with no issues other then a chuffing injector. I then replaced all injector seals after cleaning off all the carbon.

Injectors reinstalled little bit of sniff and engine fires up. test drove and now i have Smoke on idle and underload on boost. Smoke is white/grey and black when reved out starionary, altho this may just be soot kicked out of the exhaust. Also maby a very slight misfire. Engine power is all there.

So far ive cleaned egr valve and made sure it is closing corectly. Drove with vaccume pipe off. still the same.

Tryed a known good mass air flow.

Looked at all boost hoeses etc no leakes or splits.

Removed down pipe and ran to see if the cat was blocked

New fuel filter along with the filter bowl full of injector cleaner.

Spill tested injectors and they all spill well so not loads and all even.

New airfilter and engine oil. (Due Service anyway)

Removed all injectors and spun upside down reconected injector pipes and electrical conectors and had a friend turn the engine over so i could see the spray patters and make sure i diddnt have a dribling injector. All seem fine and look the same. ( Also il add this is not a clever idea the injectors are extreamly dangerous as they run silly presures and i would advise not to follow me on this one.)

Also cheaked the swirl flaps on the maifold there is no oil around the manifold and no boost leakes or noise.

Code read after drive and the only codes i get are glow plugs. So im ignoring as i cant see them causing this problem.

Logically it would be that some dirt has got in to the injector but surly i would get a prominent misfire? Or diesel knock? Engine sounds fine btw no harshness attal

Im realy pulling my hair out over this.

Any help would be greatly apreaceated

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Hi Gardy4, any luck in fixing this smoke issue? My car is exactly same and I've been trying to sort it out for almost 9 months now to no avail. I've spent a little fortune changing all that needs to be changed, even told by an indie it's a major engine issue at 96,000 miles with full service history!, which I don't want to believe. Please let me know. Cheers pal.

Check the injector seals, one may be stuck in the head so you would have 2 seals on one injector. This can cause smoking and slight misfire.

An injector quantity test I'd recommend first on a Star.

If that's ok I'd do a compression test.....

Check the injector seals, one may be stuck in the head so you would have 2 seals on one injector. This can cause smoking and slight misfire.

As above.

Thank you guys for your inputs. Is this the ONLY reason why it would pour out grey smoke on idle?.
I bought the car about a year ago with 96000 miles on the clock and full service history. It had been parked a few years but when we jump-started it, it fired up at once and the engine sounded as quiet and sweet as nuts (it still does) but was smoking on idle.
Seller told me it was due to being parked for long as a result of bereavement (my check revealed it was last mot'd in 2012), and that it only needed to run a good few miles for the smoke to clear up.
I paid £1900 for it as it was a nice, clean car thinking I got a bargain, but it has ever been trouble!. I've spent over what I paid for it going from one place to another looking for a cure. Worst is that it's not recording any fault codes. I've changed everything that's been said can cause smoking- and I mean turbo, egr, maf sensor, inlet manifold (even though there are no signs of oil drip on the engine block. It's very clean), air, oil, fuel filters, changed the exhaust and cat converters as one mechanic said it may be blocked, cam sensor, etc etc. Injectors were taken out (easily came out) for spray test which came out as spraying brilliantly. What the car does now is to struggle to climb as it juddlers as if it can't find the right gear to climb!. It has got to the point I can't go back considering what I've put in and I keep spending. My hair has all been pulled off at the moment. Any ideas welcome from this invaluable forum. Thank you all:)

Last edited:
Is it showing any other codes on STAR or just the glow plugs?

Is it showing any other codes on STAR or just the glow plugs?

Mine is showing no codes at all, just proper greyish smoke on idle. Sometimes reluctant to rev beyond 2000, at other times rev normally. Just weird :(.

Last edited:
A video of the jeep running and the smoke might help?

Is the fuel in it the same that has been left for a few years?

Chuck some premium fresh stuff in along with a bottle of injector cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom