ML270 W163 Front wheel drive only?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnb

Is it possible to rig a W163 to run front wheel drive only as an emergency measure?

I have a ML270 with a damaged rear diff, so I was wondering whether it would be possible to drop the rear prop shaft off, and then drive it with only the front prop connected? Not for ever but just for recovery purposes - maybe 100 miles or so. The vehicle is away from home.

What say you guys?

Even with the prop shaft removed, the diff is still going to rotate, so further damage could be caused. I think I'd be getting the car recovered.

Yes I understand that, but the problem is with the crown wheel and pinion, so I thought if I removed the 'drive' to that by popping off the prop shaft, I maybe able to drive the ML home on front axle drive only.

The rear diff is knackered anyway, so not worried about damaging it, just wanted to protect the transmission/transfer box from damage because at the moment the rear diff is skipping under load and sending shock up the prop shaft.

So just interested to see if you could get away with just front wheel drive?

Depends if the centre diff is lockable or not. If it's not, removing the propshaft will result in no drive as the diff will try to apportion drive to the output with no driveshaft. If you can lock it, or if it's an LSD, you'll be fine

Nick Froome

No, you will have no drive if you remove the rear (or front) prop shaft.
The transfer box has no 'limited slip' function and therefore leaves you with no drive if either prop shafts are removed.

Thanks Guys, replace the diff it is then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom