ML270 W163 Gearbox Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speedtriple

Car
MB ML70 CDI, Mitsubishi L200
Hope someone can help as I am a little confused. I have searched the forum for other people’s woes, but no symptoms appear like mine.

I have a ML270 W163 (2004) 106,000 miles. It has been running fine with no problems, but yesterday it stopped changing gear into 3rd, 4th and 5th, and now only appears to drive in 2nd. You can select Drive and Reverse but the car jerks when engaging which it never did and when in drive and driven 2nd gear will rev to eternity and the triptronic does not work. If this is Limp Mode it is strange as I could blow the engine. Also I cannot now engage Low Ratio. The light on the switch flashes a few times then goes out.

About 2 years ago I had the ATF and filter changed, also a new ‘O’ ring fitted to the multi-plug on the gearbox by a local Indi, but it has run perfectly since then and only covered about 10,000 miles.

I have been under the car and there is no apparent oil leak, checked the multi-plug, and no ingress of oil. There is no warning lights on. I am at a bit of a loss as to what direction to take and taking it to my local Indi at 25mph would be awkward, especially if I can do something myself.

Thanks for your help, Gary.

No expert but I think similar posts point to the electro plate. I'm sure an expert will be along shortly.

Yes it sounds like the electroplated. Get a star test done to read the codes

Sounds like electro plate. Common fault on these gearboxes as I've read.

Sounds like limp mode, as said before get the codes read and cleared, then try driving and see if it goes back into limp mode, if it does read codes and go from there. have you got an icar reader for mercedes as this will allow you to read and clear the codes yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom