ML320 CDI Auto-dim mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ebzoid

Car
ML320 CDI Sport
Hi all,

I've just recently acquired a 2006 55 plate ML320. It does not have auto-dim interior/wing mirrors. Does anybody know how I'd check if it's pre-wired for auto dim mirrors without actually taking the mirrors off, please? Although the feature wasn't a priority when I was looking to buy the car, it'd be nice to retrofit auto-dim mirrors if it were possible to.

Any help and/or advice much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mercedes, generally speaking, do not fit wiring that's not required. I had headlamp washers retrofitted and the existing loom was the one wire short!

The RVM should be a simple retrofit as it takes it's power from the OCP and would simply plug into the vacant socket.

Only the offside door mirror dims BTW

Be prepared to dig deep or wait for a 2nd hand one to come up if you do go down this route. I needed to replace the drivers door mirror on my R129 as the liquid crystal in it (the means by which it auto dims) had failed. Replacement price from Mercedes £342, that's the mirror itself not the housing just the mirror. :eek:

Mercedes, generally speaking, do not fit wiring that's not required. I had headlamp washers retrofitted and the existing loom was the one wire short!

The RVM should be a simple retrofit as it takes it's power from the OCP and would simply plug into the vacant socket.

Only the offside door mirror dims BTW

Thanks very much for that, Whitenemesis. Does that suggests that I can go ahead with the RVM but not the door mirrors? I knew that it was only the driver's side mirror that dims. Apologies for my technical ignorance but what does OCP stand for please?

Be prepared to dig deep or wait for a 2nd hand one to come up if you do go down this route. I needed to replace the drivers door mirror on my R129 as the liquid crystal in it (the means by which it auto dims) had failed. Replacement price from Mercedes £342, that's the mirror itself not the housing just the mirror. :eek:

Bummer! That's pretty expensive! I was actually hoping to retrofit the newer 2009/10 door mirrors that are bigger and squarer than the smaller, saloon looking ones on my W164. I've read that that's possible. If the ones I got were from an auto-dim set up, and mine are not pre-wired for auto-dim, would it just be a case of fitting but leaving the auto-dim cable unplugged, as it were? Or is that just too simple?

Thanks very much for that, Whitenemesis. Does that suggests that I can go ahead with the RVM but not the door mirrors? I knew that it was only the driver's side mirror that dims. Apologies for my technical ignorance but what does OCP stand for please?

OCP = Overhead Control Panel

Any retrofit is possible, just depends on how much one wants to spend.

Slight hijack....

Had auto dimming mirrors on the W203, but there was an issue.

Many London cyclists ride with no lights at night, because the streets are generally well-lit.

When pulling out of a parking space, if another car comes behind me, the mirrors would dim and I could not spot a cyclist riding parallel to the parked cars.

Then, as soon as the car behind me passed, I'd pull out, not being aware of the cyclist to my right...

Luckily I never knocked one down, and I also learned not to pull out as the car passed, but give it a minute longer for the mirrors to un-dim before pulling out. But I did not appreciate this feature...

The W204 does not have auto-dimming mirrors and does not suffer from this problem.

I guess auto-dimming is great for Motorway drivibg where everything that comes up behind you will have its lights on, but not so great in cities and built up areas.

Luckily this is an easily switchable function on my Lexus, just touch the bottom edge of the RVM to disable/un-dim. Unlike the Merc both door mirrors dim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom