ML320 VS ML420 pros and cons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MORGANpl

Car
Mercedes W212 E350 AMG Bluetec Night Edition Premium Plus
I've not found yet E320 in shape and form that I would like to buy so I'm expanding my search adding the ML to the list. Should have pick one on Sunday but the seller decide to sell it prior to my agreed visit. Never mind it's gone.
My question is as per title ML320 VS ML420 pros and cons. Anyone have 420 with BRABUS chip? How are they on fuel? Better or no?

I hear the 420s are not significantly worse on fuel (say 20%) so the extra performance comes on the cheap.

The problem I'd imagine would be the handling.. My 320 is pretty understeery (Is that a word?) already, but the V8 engine is much heavier so will be much worse. It might take all the fun out of driving it "enthusiastically"...

I've also heard that the gearbox is prone to delays in starting-off from a standstill in the 420s, maybe they pull away in 2nd to save the transmission? who knows....somebody must.

I've never heard of similar complaints with the 320, and mine is just fine in that respect.

It sounds like fuel consumption may be important to you... I get 27-33 MPG depending on how heavy my right foot is.

As with all heavy cars, don't accelerate up hills and expect to get good economy!

ML420/450 is epic. I had mine chipped with a tuning box. Gearbox in auto mode always a couple of gears higher than you want it to be (if you ever want to get anywhere in time) but shifters on the steering wheel take care of that. Double tap to downshift, foot down and at nearly 900Nm you get the most pleasurable drive out of the diesel V8. EVER.

Oh and 33-35mpg is very achievable if you're not in a hurry.

I've owned both, the 420 is leagues ahead in power and how it delivers it; the 320/350 is quite cumbersome in comparison.

Not much difference in the mpg figures either, I'd comfortably achieve over 30mpg in the 420, the 320 was nearer 35-36 but it's negligible in reality.

I hear the 420s are not significantly worse on fuel (say 20%) so the extra performance comes on the cheap.

The problem I'd imagine would be the handling.. My 320 is pretty understeery (Is that a word?) already, but the V8 engine is much heavier so will be much worse. It might take all the fun out of driving it "enthusiastically"...

I've also heard that the gearbox is prone to delays in starting-off from a standstill in the 420s, maybe they pull away in 2nd to save the transmission? who knows....somebody must.

I've never heard of similar complaints with the 320, and mine is just fine in that respect.

It sounds like fuel consumption may be important to you... I get 27-33 MPG depending on how heavy my right foot is.

As with all heavy cars, don't accelerate up hills and expect to get good economy!
The ML will be for my wife to drive so I don't think she will be driving enthusiastically :p
Just as a runaround, go to work and 1 or 2 trips in a year 2000 miles. She had now C180 coupe and that wasn't great on fuel and it was boring to drive as well.

Morgan,

If it's "Just as a runaround" why do you want a V8 and all the expense that entails?

The 320 is not slow, and more than fulfills the requirements of "runaround".... without the downsides of a heavy V8 in a car that's pretty heavy already..

Morgan,

If it's "Just as a runaround" why do you want a V8 and all the expense that entails?

The 320 is not slow, and more than fulfills the requirements of "runaround".... without the downsides of a heavy V8 in a car that's pretty heavy already..
I said this in some of my other topics that I'm not a diesel fan. First because I don't like the sound of it. I heard the 320 engine and BMW 330 and I like more the sound of BMW. The V8 sounds good. Ofcourse best would be ML500 but that will kill me on fuel. With the C180 I never got above 34MPG so when I will be driving it I would like to have that power under my right foot and I think it's always better to have more than less power/torque with the fuel consumption would be similar. Talking about long distances.
I always said never diesel in my life and black car but by the look of it, it could be black and diesel. Yes the car will be my wife's but in weekend I would like to leave my BMW and enjoy the ML. I

The ML will be for my wife to drive so I don't think she will be driving enthusiastically :p
Just as a runaround, go to work and 1 or 2 trips in a year 2000 miles. She had now C180 coupe and that wasn't great on fuel and it was boring to drive as well.

Oh yes, she will ;) Mine liked the V8 CDI so much, she is now on 5.0L Supercharged RR. God knows what's next...

I get to drive them as well so performance is of importance to me.

Really shame that they didn't sell that engine in E class in UK models. That would be more fun...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom