ML320 W163 Power Steering nightmare!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Theshark180

Car
Mercedes ML 320
Hi Guys, I hope I have posted this in the right place!
I have a 2000 ML320 with a curious power steering issue! Back in June the power steering stopped working but only when turning left! Perfectly fine if you only want to turn right. Took it to my indie who diagnosed a steering rack issue. The rubber boots were also full of fluid. He sourced a professionally reconditioned rack and fitted it (At considerable cost). All was fine for a month then exact same issue re emerged. A possible faulty rack was diagnosed and this was replaced by a different supplier. All was good for a few weeks then it happened again! It was then diagnosed that the power steering pump may be faulty causing the racks to fail. Hence another rack and new pump was fitted. 3 days after having the vehicle returned it has failed again?? My indie garage is at a loss as to what it could be. He has ensured that the correct fluid is used and has checked all the rubbers etc. The system is not leaking fluid and levels are good. Have any of you experts any idea what could be causing this problem please?
I love my old jalopy and have looked after it and thrown money at it and I really don't want to end up breaking it for parts!
Thanks
John
Forum software by XenForo® © 2010-2021 XenForo Ltd. Design by: Pixel Exit

Reading this post of yours mirrors similar indicidences I have had in my shop with not only MB platforms but others as well! Like Acuras
First although the rack (in this case ) might be professionaly rebuild the question arises BY WHOM.
As an an example on this side of the pond a lot of re-con parts are boxed as Cardone--(read Junk--not the marine variety from China )

A popular autoparts chain suppliers to the DIY crowd, weekend warrors, & Pro shops alike, is Carquest now owned by Old Mother Riley nationwide chain . Big US flag Stars and Bars on the box--Gotta be good, giving impression made in the USA!
Out of the fancy schmancy box and under careful scrutiny is the same re-man rack by the same re man'r business..
Now based upon this experience learned the hard way from the worldwide University of Hard Knocks , there's this!

Customer with T1N (2006) Sprinter presents us with a similar problem to yours.

As usual the budget is tight and wants a cheap job..
OK, aftermarket rack was around $800 to us retail at $1200.
Labor is 4,5 hours around $650.
Alignment $125
Sundries incl' MB fluid $25 .
Customer goes away happy with a C/C ding but is back a week later "unhappy " No assistance on one side "
OK we warranty it out , initial comeback investigation cost is $147 billed to the shop overheads.
Labor & sundries alignment etc $800 lost in billable time. billed to the shop overheads
Install another, this time out of a Carquest box and it works but its not centred so 63 degrees on one side ,72 degrees on the other lights are up including yaw rate calibration and we are only allowed by MB 5 degrees tolerance on lock to lock. (internal rack backlash problem discovered )
OK bring up another, It works for a week and fails again ! No assistance on one side.

On the definition of madness is making fundamental mistakes over & over again.

So resulution.
Call up our MB suppliers and order a Gen U WINE exchange rack $2300 retail $1600 to us .
Install cost again, $800 includiing a total system flush AGAIN
It works and has been so for several years now .
Devlin my chief Tech who T/O'd it stated that was the easist rack to install, a breeze compared to the aftermarket getting it to work crapola excercise ,
I wont bore you with total warranty overhead cost billed to shop overheads to make this customer happy, AND not end up with a law suit. (I think you can work this out yourself )

How you deal with this and your repair shop is your issue but mine was to eat the costs, install a genuine rack and be done.
Simply put, junk is expensive at any cost
Via con Dios
Tuercas Viejas

Thanks for that informative reply. Fortunately my indie garage was pretty good and kicked up a fuss with the supply company which ended up in the Area Manager being sacked! Upshot was that they reimbursed the garage which sourced another rack from a seperate source and fitted it with no problems to date. All at no cost to me which is always good! Apparently there is a valve inside the rack which directs the fluid both left and right but they were clearly doing something wrong and no fluid was going left. A genuine rack replacement would in reality probably have cost more than the car is worth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom