ML320 W164 Head Unit Upgrads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

luckypierre70

Car
ML320
Hi,

New ML320 owner...I am looking to upgrade the headunit but seem to get conflicting advice. I have the NTG2.0 which doesn't have Bluetooth and the maps are dated. I was looking at the various options of the Dynavin etc. But was hoping to just get a standard Double Din unit with a new facia and wiring loom. I have rang local fitters who have all said they they are not interested because of the fibre optic and comand. Has anyone got any experience or advice they can share with me?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Dynavin N6 is good value for money
Have fitted one on my wife ML and she is very happy with it
You need to buy also at the same time the fibre optic interface if you have HK amp
Just follow the schematic instructions
It is a plug and play
She also got DAB tuner and digital TV tune
Happy wife.....happy life

Hi, I have fitted an aftermarket unit from eBay, and Android 5.1 Quad Core unit.

Seemed ok at first, but when you have to live with it every day it's not so good. Slow to respond to inputs (volume etc) unit all the backend systems are running which takes about 2 mins from turn on.

DAB+ is via a USB converter and this seems to play havoc with the DAB signal.

I am looking to change it soon for something better. Either a genuine late head unit or the Alpine X800D-ML but its not cheap.

Did not know of the Dynavin N6 above so would be good to know more about it.

Don't make the mistake I did and go for Chinese junk from eBay for circa £320 ish.

Give member Richard or Alfie a shout on here, they know these inside out for head unit upgrades and configuring the dash after for the loss of Comand etc.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members-offers-traders/70047-comand-online-ltd-discounts-map-disks-bluetooth-phone-kits-cdc-kits-etc.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the info...I've been looking at those items at comandonline. I'll do a bit more digging. A local guy has offered an upgrade to a Kenwood headunit which costs £420 but he wants to £200 to fit it

If you have a fibre optic system I don't know, but, I faced the same problem as you with the difference that I have an R and no optic ring. I bought a second hand NTG4.5 unit on eBay (unit was like in new condition) and it came with the latest maps for Europe installed. I bought a new handsfree cable (to utilize the inbuilt handsfree in the car) and installed it myself. I had to change a couple of pins in the main connector which wasn't conplicated but took some time due to it being a connector with locked pins which I had never come across before. All in all it will take a couple of hours max if you are prepared with tools and connector pinout information.

I didn't have to code anything with STAR and all the controls work with the steering wheel as well the instrument display (clearly MB has programmed the NTG4.5 to be backwards compatible). It probably should be coded with STAR but it clearly isn't necessary (at least in my case) to use it at least.

I later also had the the buttons on the steering wheel changed (parts was very expensive + workshop must install it as it is a safety issue with airbag) to support Linguatronic which NTG4.5 has, but I must admit that I'm like the majority of users who don't use it.

So I would never look at some other solution as this upgrade covers what you normally want and works like intended/factory as it is original MB.

I use a 32GB SD-card with a lot of music and it's easy to change. I also have the NTG4.5 with inbuilt disc changer so I have several movies that the kids can watch when sitting idle in the car.

Thanks for the help. I've had a quick play this morning and think as a short term measure I'm going to get a Bluetooth unit for the phone cradle. They seem to be cheap on eBay then spend some time sorting out a long term solution.

Thanks for the help. I've had a quick play this morning and think as a short term measure I'm going to get a Bluetooth unit for the phone cradle. They seem to be cheap on eBay then spend some time sorting out a long term solution.

I think the NTG4.5 route is the only way to go if you want everything working really good and with Bluetooth. Buying a Bluetooth adapter is half-fixing the Bluetooth/phone and still having the old mapdisc-based COMAND etc.

I don't know about the going rate of units on eBay right now but you should be able to get away with approximately £500 including the cable and Bluetooth antenna kit. Compare that to buying a new set of map discs, Bluetooth adapter and ease of use.

The images of the NTG 4.5 I've seen wouldn't fit into my W164 unless I'm missing something. It looks like a separate screen. The NTG 2 is a double din unit.

The NTG 2.5 will fit, same is in mine, and has dab, tv, rear entertainment, logic 7 the lot.

Sorry, my bad, I'm (of course) talking about NTG2.5 (and not NTG4.5)!

Here is the cable kit you would need (the one I bought) to be able to install NTG2.5 without hassle; https://www.commandonline.co.uk/NTG2-NTG2.5-converter-kit.html and it's £99 + postage but I think forum members have some discount.

And search for this on eBay; "Mercedes MB ML class W164 Comand NTG 2.5 navigation system DVD CHANGER UNLOCKED" and there you have one unit with the inbuilt disc changer. Although a bit more than when I bought it. Otherwise do a search in few days and see if other cheaper units come up.

If you have fibre optic HK system then I don't know if this would work, you'd have to check with the seller or with some expert on this forum like the COMANDONLINE guys.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom