ML420 CDI - What is it worth and do I want one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The 420 is infinately better to drive, much more suited to the weight of the car... but they aren't as popular for economy reasons.

If you dont need the practicalities of owning an ML then why go for one? The CLS is a far better car, more comfortable, more reliable, much more economical

I have to say this is the first time I have heard there is not much comparison between the two - everywhere I have read and been told is that the difference is huge in terms of power and torque and makes a huge difference to the experience.

I have generally noticed the ML420 CDI's are specced a bit better and tend to hold their value better too.

420 is a better engine to have in ML, full stop.

I get 25 mpg in town and 30 outside. One doesn't buy a 2.5 tonne SUV for economy reasons.

If you dont need the practicalities of owning an ML then why go for one? The CLS is a far better car, more comfortable, more reliable, much more economical

because I can (until they stop making fun stuff like this) :devil: lol ok on a more serious note why do you feel its a better car, more comfortable and mroe reliable ?

I thought the ML would be more comfy with being higher up, air susp too also very little I have heard in terms of ML's being poor reliability - not heard much in terms of issues on the 420 - granted theres only 4 around lol

because I can (until they stop making fun stuff like this) :devil: lol ok on a more serious note why do you feel its a better car, more comfortable and mroe reliable ?

I thought the ML would be more comfy with being higher up, air susp too also very little I have heard in terms of ML's being poor reliability - not heard much in terms of issues on the 420 - granted theres only 4 around lol

4L diesel has been around for years. Sadly, was only offered in ML or GL form in the UK. Here's the vid of a Swedish fella I met @ Kleemann HQ in Denmark last year, having his E420 tuned:

[YOUTUBE]A-8KFbnGiYk[/YOUTUBE]

Mine is Kleemann chipped at 350 HP and 800 Nm.

To clarify - real world driving was stated. When you floor the 320 cdi in semi urban areas it goes plenty quick enough, and sheds speed slowly enough when you brake, to make it occasionally feel uncomfortably rapid for its size. This happened a lot (an I have had plenty of fast cars - s5, 997 etc). I tried the 420 and decided it was pointless extra performance for a drop from 34mpg to 25mpg.

The 420 will get to worrying speed quicker, but marginally. Get a 320 and Brabus chip it if you need the extra pace.

When you are flooring a 2.5 tonne car on a NSL road you are aware that it is the size it is. A cayenne can handle it but the w164 is not a sporty chassis, even when the airmatic is on sport (which I had). it just feels fast enough in a 320.

At motorway speeds I am not sure you'll care if it's a 3 or 4.

All IMHO of course as someone that tried both and bought a high spec 320 (they do exist!)

To clarify - real world driving was stated. When you floor the 320 cdi in semi urban areas it goes plenty quick enough, and sheds speed slowly enough when you brake, to make it occasionally feel uncomfortably rapid for its size. This happened a lot (an I have had plenty of fast cars - s5, 997 etc). I tried the 420 and decided it was pointless extra performance for a drop from 34mpg to 25mpg.

The 420 will get to worrying speed quicker, but marginally. Get a 320 and Brabus chip it if you need the extra pace.

When you are flooring a 2.5 tonne car on a NSL road you are aware that it is the size it is. A cayenne can handle it but the w164 is not a sporty chassis, even when the airmatic is on sport (which I had). it just feels fast enough in a 320.

At motorway speeds I am not sure you'll care if it's a 3 or 4.

All IMHO of course as someone that tried both and bought a high spec 320 (they do exist!)

Not nitpicking but were are really getting 34 mpg in town in ML? Cos that what I was normally seeing in a C350 CDI.

From what I read 320 is only 5 mpg better than 420 in MLs.

My experience of the 320 / 420 is in a GL.

IMO there is no comparison between the two engines.The 420 is much faster, but it's not just about absolute speed it's the manner and ease with which the 420 delivers. Silky smooth torque available from just above tickover makes for effortless performance, 80% of the ( not inconsiderable) performance available for 20% throttle opening. To extract performance from the 320 it needs to be worked harder and feels much rougher and less sophisticated.

That was my average - I was getting 37 ish on motorways and 30 ish in town. Mixed always around mid 30s. I found the ml very calming on my driving style. Plus I had the 997 to drive for fun!!!

Driving the ml heavy footed is get 27 in town.

Are you all driving your ml's like race cars? I never worked the 320 hard as I drove it like a limo on its air suspension!

It's not a fast car nor a sport one in any guise apart from the AMG. And even that was miles behind an cayenne.

If you want a sporty suv the w164 is not it. It is classy, well built and comfy but not a cayenne.

Are you all driving your ml's like race cars? I never worked the 320 hard as I drove it like a limo on its air suspension!

It's not a fast car nor a sport one in any guise apart from the AMG. And even that was miles behind an cayenne.

If you want a sporty suv the w164 is not it. It is classy, well built and comfy but not a cayenne.

You mean Cayenne Turbo? Even stock 63 will see a remapped one it in its rear mirrors:

[YOUTUBE]Tm4gQQea81w[/YOUTUBE]

Std drag race maybe. Corners involved then no chance.

Different suv with different purposes. A stock 3/420 is a 4x4 limo.....comfort is what they excel at. That's why I went with the 320. It's not that I dislike big thirsty engines....my last 3 cars have been a 3.2, 4.2 and now a 6.3.

An AMG is a different kettle of fish which has some sporting intentions and a great lump of power. Maybe the OP should consider one if he wants something fast in a merc jeep....if someone wants the ride and comfort of the ml then my own thought process was to take it easy and enjoy the height and smooth progress and some okay mpg.

OP - get the 63 or a cls!!

Std drag race maybe. Corners involved then no chance.

Different suv with different purposes. A stock 3/420 is a 4x4 limo.....comfort is what they excel at. That's why I went with the 320. It's not that I dislike big thirsty engines....my last 3 cars have been a 3.2, 4.2 and now a 6.3.

An AMG is a different kettle of fish which has some sporting intentions and a great lump of power. Maybe the OP should consider one if he wants something fast in a merc jeep....if someone wants the ride and comfort of the ml then my own thought process was to take it easy and enjoy the height and smooth progress and some okay mpg.

OP - get the 63 or a cls!!

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your comments, its obviously stirred up quite a discussion, haha. In all honesty everyone has different needs and requirements, in your case you had no need to satisfy your need of speed in the ML as you had other fun cars to play with and many people might not utilize the extra power and thats fair play...

I think for the most part people do find it a big difference and in terms of ML63 this would be outside of my budget unless I got a stinker. The reason why I am looking at the ML420 is because firstly it would be nice to experience such an engine before they throw them all in the bin due to emissions.

There is no doubt high spec ML320's do exist no doubt however I do want the AMG pack on it - I feel it suits the vehicle very well and brings the shape of the car into its own.

For me I need a car that comfortable but also fun for me - my father and me both use it - My father is long term ill and need something reasonably comfortable and I need something that will get me my jollies of the weekends (I use public transport for going to work)

So for me the CLS and ML fit the bill very well and wont cost me my legs to run (aka the ML63)

Is there any rust issues on these ML's or CLS's cars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom