ML420 - Nice but Leggy...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmmm...I find that a bit strange; I owned the ML420 at the same time as my E55K and although the ‘55 was obviously faster, the 420 didn’t feel a million miles off tbh.

The performance figures I've seen suggest the 55K hits 60 about two seconds sooner than the 420, or to put it another way, takes half as long again; you weren't trying very hard most of the time, were you?

A propos the rather disappointing dipped beam headlights, this thread:

Old Bulb vs. New Bulb Output Comparison - HiDplanet : The Official Automotive Lighting Forum

makes interesting reading. I'll try changing just one bulb first, just to see how it looks, but I suspect I'll buy another one straight afterwards for the other headlight.

The performance figures I've seen suggest the 55K hits 60 about two seconds sooner than the 420, or to put it another way, takes half as long again; you weren't trying very hard most of the time, were you?
Conversely, I mostly drove the E55K like a teenager and the 420 like a grandad - as @Bobby Dazzler alluded to earlier it’s the *delivery* of the power that catches you out.

If you happen to get the chance to drive them back-to-back, you’ll see what I mean.

I think I recall the E55K fairly well - I had them for three years - and the 420 feels a lot slower (as indeed it is) to me, even if I try to drive it in Turbo Nutter Bastard mode. I rarely do, though; I bought it inter alia to preserve my licence, so I drive it like - well, fairly like - the grandfather I am. I still like to "make progress", of course, but the problem for me with the E55K, and the E63 even more so, was that I could make so much progress, so easily, that either could be doing licence-losing speeds without trying...

I think I recall the E55K fairly well - I had them for three years - and the 420 feels a lot slower (as indeed it is) to me.
I’ll just reiterate for those struggling to hear at the back; in *my experience* of owning and driving the two vehicles back-to-back, the 420, albeit obviously slower, didn’t feel a millions miles away from the E55K.

I think it’s fair to say that an E55K would blow a ML420 diesel out of the water performance wise.

There’s a half tonne weight penalty to begin with, then the 55k has about another 170hp on top... :)

My GL is no slouch but even with c. 550hp it’s not as quick as a 15+ year old E55K :thumb:

I’ll just reiterate for those struggling to hear at the back; in *my experience* of owning and driving the two vehicles back-to-back, the 420, albeit obviously slower, didn’t feel a millions miles away from the E55K.

There's no need to take offence. The point I make is that in my experience the 420 does feel a very long way away from the 55K. I don't believe I'd change my mind driving them back-to-back, either. I came to the 55K from a W210 E55, so I drove those back-to-back; the W210 is a fair bit quicker than an ML420, and I well recall what a revelation the E55k's performance was after the W210's.

There's no need to take offence. The point I make is that in my experience the 420 does feel a very long way away from the 55K. I don't believe I'd change my mind driving them back-to-back, either. I came to the 55K from a W210 E55, so I drove those back-to-back; the W210 is a fair bit quicker than an ML420, and I well recall what a revelation the E55k's performance was after the W210's.
No offence taken at all - simply relating my own personal experiences of owning and driving the two vehicles *at the same time* back-to-back - the 420 is a torquey old bus that could shift and I never stated that it’s as quick as an E55K, just that it’s no slouch probably in the same way I’d maybe describe a BMW 535d.

Dennis, do you get ambient interior lighting on an M of that age?

Yes, though probably not common on the Sport version. My SE version has it. It may be part of option 876 - Interior Light Assembly, or possibly U61 - Luxury Package.

Great, thanks. It's something I like on the E that the C doesn't have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom