ML420

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
unfortunately its not to keep, now its all 100% it will get a full 2 stage machine polish and coated and she will be up for sale, its an amazing machine thats for sure,
If it were a facelift AMG car I would have to keep it
The ML didn’t change much with the facelift, what is it you’re less keen on with the pre-facelift, or like better with the facelift?

I think the front end looks better and prefer the wing mirrors,

I am also considering face lifting this car myself, it’s finding a front bumper that is currently an issue

I think the front end looks better and prefer the wing mirrors,

I am also considering face lifting this car myself, it’s finding a front bumper that is currently an issue
The wing mirrors are easily done. The tail lights too. The bumper is barely different apart from the chrome and notches for the headlamps, but the bi-xenon headlamps would be pricey!

So just an update I have repaired my glow plug module and all tested ok

This isn’t a difficult repair, not quite as simple as the V6 cdi version but still doable as a diy
Great to hear its possible. Thank you for the updates Woody.

I just attempted to get to my GP Relay however couldn't get past the stubborn air filter housing :confused: Found the two bolts at the front, but can't see what else it holding it so firmly in place. Any advice please? - Did you disconnect the entire air filter housing or are there some hidden bolts or clips at the back that I'm missing!?

Thanks

I took the top part off removed the air filters then disconnected the MAF sensors at the back then removed the bottom part of air box

Have you still the 500 Nat?

Sold it last year and kind of regret it, although I did have too many silver cars on the driveway then. Still on the hunt for it's replacement having had a Macan since then which was truly awful IMO which is now gone.

Sold it last year and kind of regret it, although I did have too many silver cars on the driveway then. Still on the hunt for it's replacement having had a Macan since then which was truly awful IMO which is now gone.
Silver is the best 😁 I'm sure whoever bagged the 500 is a happy camper mate

Silver is the best 😁 I'm sure whoever bagged the 500 is a happy camper mate

Ha ha. It is a lovely colour that suits certain cars but at the time I had my CLS, CLK, ML and M5 sat there - all silver. I was done with the colour by that stage 🤣

I don't really like silver cars yet I seem to have 2 of them! AMGs in period didn't seem to come in much else, which is something I really can't fathom.

Hi all

I'm attempting to repair my ML420 glow plug relay as I can't locate one anywhere! However I'm struggling at the first hurdle, how do you remove the air box assembly? My lap top with WIS on it has crashed and burned so can't get the info. I can see how the front part is fixed but not the back side near bulkhead. If anyone could post of diagram of WIS that would be very helpful.
Cheers

Yep, it said that there are NO glow plug module available for V8 CDI's... which is kinda crazy, manufacturer has obligation to provide spare parts decades.
Actually....unless its changed in the years since I was a car sales manager (VW and AUDI) they are only obligated to supply parts for ONE decade....so ten years......

EDIT.... a bit of googling tells me that there is no legal requirement to supply parts for any given time.....10 years was just a gentleman's agreement within the industry. Certain parts like wiring looms on low volume selling cars are only made for TWO YEARS after production of that model finishes. My ALFA 159 is 2009.....many parts for that especially ECUs have not be available for some years....that only ceased production in 2011!

Hi all

I'm attempting to repair my ML420 glow plug relay as I can't locate one anywhere! However I'm struggling at the first hurdle, how do you remove the air box assembly? My lap top with WIS on it has crashed and burned so can't get the info. I can see how the front part is fixed but not the back side near bulkhead. If anyone could post of diagram of WIS that would be very helpful.
Cheers
See post #45.

If all else fails, and you can neither find a new relay nor have your existing faulty one fixed, I would think a decent auto-electrician could jury-rig something, manually-controlled, to feed battery voltage direct to the glowplugs when necessary.

@X11WDY have you still got yours?

Hi all

Cheers
I’ve finally got round to removing my glow plug control unit on my ML420…..What a pain in the axxx that was. The two bolts holding the air box at the back a really awkward. Then refitting the hoses onto the air mass meters is nigh on impossible. Any way I’ve got it off and opened it up. And as with the OM 642 GPR the aluminium input feed wires have broken away from the contacts. Anyone had any luck soldering wire it to replace the aluminium wires? I can’t get to tin the contacts in the GPR even though I’ve ground the silver coating off. Anyone managed to do any better? LOL 😂 ripping my hair out with it. And to make things worse with the cold snap this morning I only just managed to hit it started.
Have to say soldering isn’t my strong point you needs four hands 🙌…..

Attachments

• F06706E2-21C0-4CC2-8120-0C1E06E49F8C.jpeg
    F06706E2-21C0-4CC2-8120-0C1E06E49F8C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • D96572E4-FB42-4BA5-B277-4B8759C9359D.jpeg
    D96572E4-FB42-4BA5-B277-4B8759C9359D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • C90CBED9-8CDE-438E-8404-11998C7E7983.jpeg
    C90CBED9-8CDE-438E-8404-11998C7E7983.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
On a more positive note. This ML420 has had a misfire under light throttle since I bought it 3 years ago. I never got round to doing much about it. No EML on so put up with it. Was fine under full throttle. When I took the air box off yesterday I discovered that the left bank hose had not been connected properly and it was kinked and drawing air in. They are very awkward to refit no room to manoeuvre and push them in squarely. But it’s fine now and never run better

Afternoon everyone.

I have finally finished off the repair to my Glow Plug Relay on my ML420.

I soldered new wires to replace the broken aluminum ones.
The most difficult part was getting the little silver contact points to take solder and tin.

Replaced all 8 glow plugs....that was a job and a half in itself. however when I tested them 6 were dead anyway.

But the good news is that the glow plug relay works perfectly now and goes off as the engine fires up.
With the cold snap recently I was struggling to get it started in the morning.

I checked with Mercedes-Benz Stockport last week and there is no imminent sign of the part becoming available again??

Attachments

• OM629 GPR repair 2 April 2022.jpg
    OM629 GPR repair 2 April 2022.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • OM629 GPR repair April 2022.jpg
    OM629 GPR repair April 2022.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom