ML430 SPluttering issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

footieshop

Car
ML430 - 2000
All, New to the forum but thought I would ask for help.

After visitng 3 seperate dealers no-one has an answer to this so I am hoping someone here can help.

My ML430 (2000) drives really well, then if I do 80 miles ish at a speed between 85 - 95 on motorways, all of a sudden the car starts spluttering as though there is no fuel getting to the engine, it then does this for about 20 miles on and off and then I have to stop. Get back in the car after 30 mins and then 80 miles ish later it starts to do it again.

If I travel at 85 or less it does not happen?

The 1st time it happenend I had the aircon on all the way so thought it was that, but since then it has happenend without the aircon on? I do 50000 miles per year in it and it is starting to get a bit annoying now.

Any ideas? anyone else had / have the same issue? Many thanks in advance for you assistance.

Martin

What did the dealers do / say?

Was anything replaced?

How long have you had the car, and how long has this problem existed?

A few more details would be helpful.

Anders,

Other details are:-

2 dealers could find nothing wrong with it, the other said there was an error showing that the engine had to increase fuel on 2 cyinders, eror 1702? Possibly but it had corrected itself and only happened once.

Nothing has been replaced to date.

I have had the car since it was 2 years old, the problem has existed for the last 7 months.

Cheers

Martin

gordon, I knew when I put that someone would pick up on it, I do generally but I also do a lot of continental driving where speed limits are higher!!!!!!

Tank breather hose blocked???Could be a dozen reasons really....
Similar thing happened to a friends microlight,exept substitute your 85-95mph for 800-900 feet and your "a bit annoying" for "s*** what the f***."
Eventually traced the problem to the fuel hose collapsing due to the slightly lower air pressure.

Well it is certainly Fuel Starvation, in my opinion. I would be inclined to change Fuel filter and check fuel pipes for signs of constriction, and also as mentioned check tank breather pipe for blockage.

Many thanks all, I will ask the dealer to check that out the next time it is in for a service.

Cheers

Martin

UPDATE for anyone interested:- Taken it to the Bristol Dealership who have test drove it and checked the fuel supply and air breather tank and they are saying it is the Air Mass Sensor (Lambda?) which is why it is not working, they are doing a special deal of a refund if this does not work, which isn't too bad? Although I do not think it is this!!!!!

Will let you know if this works. Many thanks for all the advice.

Well that didn't work going in for another try on Tuesday

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom