ML500 or 270cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steven Stoole

Car
W163 ML500 The Beast
Hi guys, busy looking for a ML at the moment to buy, not sure if I should go for the 5L v8 or the 2,7cdi. The car is not going to do much mileage every day only when we go on holidays so hence why I was thinking of the 5L v8. But then my mind says better mileage on diesel but short trips not too good for a diesel. Also what are the pros and cons of these models that being a 2003 to 2005 model. Any input is much appreciated.

ML500 or given fact the price difference is negligible an ML55

500 all the way!!!

No replacement for displacement!!

(apart from turbos, NOS & now Tesla P90D insane modes)

I know of someone who bought a second hand 5 litre V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee, then had it converted to LPG. Worth a thought...

We recently bought our w163 ML320 as we don't do a lot of daily mileage but we do a few Euro trips a year. We didn't want a diesel and the 320 we found had good mileage and was the right price.
If we hadn't found this particular one, for the difference in running costs we would have bought a V8. We're off to Germany on Saturday so the first real chance to check the fuel consumption on a run.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 28
Wow thanks guys, I'm tending towards the V8 just got to convince the other half its the right idea. I missed a good ml55 the other day so closest thing now is the 500.
In terms of rust and things what would I need to look out for? As I've spotted a ML 500 but don't want to rush into it and then find I've got problems to deal with. All cars have problems but don't need any more head aches. Rust is a pet hate for us all.

We recently bought our w163 ML320 as we don't do a lot of daily mileage but we do a few Euro trips a year. We didn't want a diesel and the 320 we found had good mileage and was the right price.
If we hadn't found this particular one, for the difference in running costs we would have bought a V8. We're off to Germany on Saturday so the first real chance to check the fuel consumption on a run.

Looks great. Let Us know how you get on with the fuel consumption. Will be good to see. Also Safe Travels that side.

Looks great. Let Us know how you get on with the fuel consumption. Will be good to see. Also Safe Travels that side.

Thanks very much and will do. Off to the Nurburgring so will probably have to divert away from Brussels now.

go for g55 or g63

go for g55 or g63

Come on..... That's another level of price bracket!!! Answer the chaps question. Plus you only buy them if you a football, c0ck or both. Lol

As a family we have an ML55 & an ML63. The 55 is a great car, my youngest son drives it, and still not showing any rust on a 51 plate, we have owned it for getting on 3 years now. The ML500s rot on the rear arches, rot on the sills and the boot door, and the underneath of the doors, the American built cars are terrible. The 2.7 is the same engine used in the Cherokee and Sprinter and does indeed sound very agricultural. I would advise the AMG given the age, the cost difference between that and the 500 will be negligible and the AMG has the arches. Be prepared to have new discs and pads as they eat them. Ensure you get a car with full history and bear in mind 16 plugs on the major service. The AMG will only give you around 17mpg but is a brilliant 'away from the lights' motor The ML63 in the W164 derivative is a fabulous vehicle and you don't see many, my missus loves hers. If you can afford one of those, get one, another 200bhp with better consumption.

Lennox said:
Come on..... That's another level of price bracket!!! Answer the chaps question. Plus you only buy them if you a football, c0ck or both. Lol
classic

Thanks guys this is helpful. Been busy hence no reply this week. So now I will begin my hunt for a decent ML and decent insurance as well. I can't believe how they class the ML as a high risk vehicle!!!!

So Guys I bought an ML500!!!!! What a beast I must say I had a smile on my face the whole way home. I will post some pics later once it's had a good clean. Thanks for all the advice.

peter best will insure as classic for under 500 pa and 5k value btw

So Guys I bought an ML500!!!!! What a beast I must say I had a smile on my face the whole way home. I will post some pics later once it's had a good clean. Thanks for all the advice.

Well done :rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom