ML500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
I'm quite warming to this:

Mercedes-Benz ML500 5.0 auto ML500 2004 | eBay

Looks pretty tidy, decent colour, sensible mileage, asking price seems reasonable. I seem to recall somebody saying good things about the seller, or one with a rather similar name, on the forum not long ago, but I can't find it. Does he ring any bells with anybody?

SECOND THOUGHTS: Just checked the MoT history. Maybe not...:eek:

Last edited:
Yep, that's a car that hasn't been properly serviced in the second decade of its life.

But, for a fan who's practical, at the right price, it's probably easy to fettle. It just needs to be taken away from the owner who couldn't be bothered to resolve those issues.

A lot would depend on what condition its mechanicals and electrical are "really" in.

M

The engine and box will be fine, but it's described as having a "very good" service history. There's another ML on eBay (not from the same seller), no later than a 2004, described as the same, with five - yes, FIVE - stamps in the service book, the most recent about a thousand miles ago; I suppose it depends on your definition of "good" - or possibly of "mug"...

I may have been a little harsh in condemning that ML500. There's nothing too costly in the list of advisories, but while I'm willing to spend up to a grand to bring a £10K E55 up to snuff, spending the same on a £4K ML would be a different matter; the M113 cambox breathers will need resealing, for a start, unless they've been done, so there's a couple of hundred for a start. The ML320 cost me £2.5K, and I've spent £43 in repairs so far...

I think I'll have a word with the seller, and see what the service history amounts to, before I write it off completely.

Service history is OK (July 2005/06/07/08/09/10/12, Aug 2013, July 14/15/17, all with reasonable intervals. Main dealer servicing until 2010, on 27K miles. The only niggle is it's done 28K since the last recorded service, but if it runs OK I wouldn't see that as a problem. Hmmmm....

Jesus, Mary and Joseph; you’re relentless man!

What have you got at the minute? E63, ML350 and SLK 55?

You looking at a 500 to replace the 350?

Jesus, Mary and Joseph; you’re relentless man!

You looking at a 500 to replace the 350?

I know what I like, and I'm getting there... Yes, it will replace the 320, and the E63 must go too; the end state will be one fun car, the SLK, and one dog van, an ML. I like the W163 a lot, I have confidence in the M113 like no other engine, and I don't want a 55 (no spare wheel). A sensible-mileage W164 would do just as well as that W163, but there aren't any that I like on sale at the moment.

ML55 has a spare wheel inside. Easily removable. Can even relocate it behind the tailgate:

s-l225.jpg

Go 55.

Yes, sorry, I forgot that, but for my purposes it effectively hasn't. I need the space inside for my dogs, and the external mount would be in the way when I was trying to get up close to the rear to load heavy items - which regularly includes my big, old, creaky dog...

I got a ml55 and I might sell it pm me if you interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom