ML500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Different indeed. I'm far from convinced about the interior/exterior colour combo.

Maybe if the exterior were either of the upholstery colours?

The blue would be a bit gaudy for an exterior colour, and an interior entirely in that blue doesn't bear thinking about...

Helluva lot of car for the money, though. I'm looking for an ML500 or 420 diesel, and at that price I'm almost tempted to buy it just for the hell of it. Not quite, though...

Last edited:
That’s got to be a Designo interior, but either way I love it; very much “of its age”.

There was an old AMG -E36 or E43 - with beautiful Tanzanite bodywork and the same bright blue inside, for sale in the last six months or so, and that was certainly Designo. It has a certain style, but not one that appeals to me.

Going back quite some time and several cars ago I had a Year 2000 CLK230 with seats that colour. They were quite vibrant but looked good in the sleek CLK. It helped that the car was black. Like others have said it’s almost certainly a ‘designo’ interior.

One thing worth noting is designo leather is truly excellent quality. Very thick yet soft and hard wearing. At least it was in my CLK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is that the same front bumper as on the ML55?

I presume it would be easy to unbolt and remove the third row of seats?

Somebody has spent some money on that car; the sunroof and upholstery are obviously OE, and the more modern (probably cheap'ncheerful Chinese, but so long as it works...) head unit, with a reversing camera to obviate the need for rear parking sensors, and bluetooth connectivity, is a bonus. I can't help wondering where it was between December 2015 and July 2018, though, to have done only nine miles and not have the MoT renewed. I wonder if it's had a haircut?

Mind you, there's nothing in the recent MoT history to suggest imminent expense. For that money, you could run it for ten months and scrap it when the MoT ran out if necessary, and still not have lost very much. I reckon my ML320 should sell privately for that, too, and I do like V8 engines a lot. Hmmm...

The upholstery is Designo Ultramarine Two-Tone. Interestingly, unless the datacard is wrong the car came out of the factory in Tanzanite, not silver, so it must have had a complete bare-metal respray (about 2012-2013 judging from the MoT history). ISTR that MB did some of those under warranty on Schrempp-era cars.

If it were still Tanzanite, I'd definitely not want it with that interior, but somehow, it's passable in a silver car.

It does indeed have the (AMG-ish) Styling Package - chrome grille slats, door handles and tailgate trim, bumpers, sills, wheel arches, white-faced AMG-logo'd clocks, visible AMG-logo'd chrome tailpipe, and an AMG badge on the tailgate; sadly, however, they forgot to fit the AMG engine... A forerunner of the 'AMG Line', perhaps?

Yes, I bought it; it needs a little titivating, but at that price, I couldn't find a good enough reason not to. Nice to drive; just like the ML320, but on steroids when the loud pedal is pressed...

Last edited:
Good for you, sounds nice

It needs a good clean, and there are a few little things to do. It's not done much mileage in the last seven years - the service history stops 17K miles and seven years ago when the service book was full - but I think it's sound enough, and it's only a stopgap until a better one comes along anyway. It'll do for the moment.

How about something a bit left field. If you love the 113 so much. Run it for a while then scrap it and bung the engine in a classic like a 190 ??? I had a 104 bunged in a 190 and was the best car I ever owned but a 113 would be something else !!!!! I'm sure Terry would be up for it :)

Interesting thought, but not my sort of thing, I'm afraid, and the 190 is a little small for me, and not an estate anyway.

When are you going to share the pics of your new acquisition? :)

The dealer delisted it before I remembered to save the pics, so it will have to wait until I collect it; he's keeping it for me until I can collect it. I'll post some pics once I get a chance to clean it up; it's looking a bit neglected and sorry for itself at the moment, but I think it's sound underneath the grime. It even has half a tank of fuel, and I don't think I've ever bought a car off a dealer before that didn't have the low fuel light on and not much more than vapour in the tank. Has to be a good sign...

Yes, that's the one; I'm happy to say the ML has a lot less blue on the inside than that C36 has; much too much for my taste. I don't think it goes well with the dark blue paintwork, either, but silver would I think be a better body colour. If the ML had still been in the Tanzanite it came from the factory in originally, I don't think I'd have bought it, bargain price or not...

If you decide the sell the ML let me know, I would have bought it for the AMG kit alone but you beat me to it!

Congrats on the new acquisition, seems to be a good buy, (I saw the advert before the dealer took the pictures down). Look forward to seeing more photos once you've collected it and cleaned it up. Depending upon where about you are in South Bucks I may see you around...

Near Beaconsfield, so way down south.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom