Ml55 Amg Owners.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

k420rs

Is there anyone who has one of these as a daily driver that can tell how bad they are on fuel?

I have looked on autotrader at the technical data and compared to the C43 AMG (which is my daily driver) it's supposed to be better!

Just thinking of buying one for my wife as they seem good value for money at moment.

Not worried about tax and insurance that's just part of life in Britain!

Any info would be appreciated.

Hi and welcome!

ML55 was always the one to avoid in the range apparently. Sound fantastic of course. Yes, of course insurance and tax will be higher, but that's the case for most MLs really. I have the 3.7 which could be worse on fuel (18-23mpg) or around 300 miles from a tank. But I hear the ML55 is more like 10mpg :eek: ...cheap for a reason. Diesel expensive for a reason too. You just need to do the maths as I did. I use the car very little, so a big petrol worked out cheaper for me. Good luck!

As above..

My 3.7 will give 25-28 on the motorway @ 85 on cruise round town its best not to work it out.

I had a friend with a ML500 and his had a trip computer that stuck around 14mpg.

The ML55 I'm guessing it pretty darn bad... :) too be honest I'm supprised how well my bus goes in normal dad to dad driving. Sounds great and gives reasonable mpg so don't dismiss it.

Speed limits on roads seem to be reducing al the time and cameras poping up all over the place to where can you go quick anyway...

Our neighbour had one and she used it as a typical Chelsea tractor, shopping trips and the school run. If she got 12mpg then that was a bonus but don't forget I am talking town work in a very hilly district.

If your worried about fuel consumption then a modern 55 is not the vehicle for you. :devil: ;)

She now has the ML 320CDI

Regards
John

Any ML is not the best choice for economy. But there is a great range of possible figures. The best I have seen is in my 320 CDI is shown, but a colleague with a ML63 often only gets single figures:eek: I can't believe that the 55 will be much different.
The biggest difference will be to the use they are put;)

Last edited:
39.4mpg is really good from a 4x4 with a 3 litre engine. What would an E or S get on a similar run though?

My Dads E320CDI does 40mpg almost however he drives it.

He has seen just over 50 cruising at 55mpg and teh range said 1030 miles left !!

I heard that an ML55 AMG went at auction the other week for £7.5k.

2.5 years old and low mileage, still under warranty!

39.4mpg is really good from a 4x4 with a 3 litre engine. What would an E or S get on a similar run though?

The best yet from the S is 48.8MPG for a very similar run, which is pretty much in proportion to the frontal areas.....;)

ML55 are seriously cheap. A look on Autotrader a month or so yielded one for £6k, and many less than £10k. Bargain.

I guess there's a fair risk of having protestors from Greenpeace / Friends of the Earth / etc. camped outside your house though :)

You could have a lot of fun with the money you would save not buying the popular diesel models, if you don't mind having your wallet raided every couple of hundred miles. For me, that would become tiresome:)

Thanks for all your comments still cant make up my mind, was really hoping to hear it from the horses mouth.

Is there no ML55 owners on here?

Thanks for all your comments still cant make up my mind, was really hoping to hear it from the horses mouth.

Don't think so..... a few E55's though. In mine, I get 24.3mpg so far at steady 80 mph.

But having fun for every single mpg!

If you do a search you'll find several ML55 owners who have started threads and not been heard of again. I don't think there are any 'regulars' here who have one.

But the ML55 is bigger, heavier, more powerful, and less aerodynamic than a C43. So it's a fair bet that the fuel consumption is going to be significantly worse.

A neighbour who is a property destroyer, sorry, developer, had one and hated it with a passion. He thought it was a 'cheap' car with a lovely engine. He kept it a while, passed it on to his girlfriend and then very shortly after a Range Rover turned up which they both seemed much happier with.

Have you taken one for a test drive and then compared it with other marques equivalents??

I think I can safley say that if fuel will be a concern then its a no go.

I do few miles (6K - 8K a year) but filling a ML55 up each time would still mount up and its at the pumps you feel it.

I See no reason why it would not drive well? I tried, X5's, Landrovers, XC90, Lexus when looking for mine I just prefered the merc.

Saying that I still love the look of a RangeRover and the fact that a 17K one looks almost the same as a 70K one :)

As mentioned drive one and see what you think, even with that engine its no sports car, but I can have fun in mine and I've over 100bhp less :)

I could grab my neighbour by the hair and drag her around here but

(a) She would only say what I have already said

and

(b) Rumour has it her Russian husband has NO sense of humour and might object to me dragging her round here and more to the point you suggesting this lady is a horse!! :devil: (wait til I tell them what you said)

If you get 12mpg around town then your a lucky bloke

Good luck in hiding from the Mafia

Regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom