ML55... heart over head??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arbs

A little while ago I was half considering a C55 or CLK55...

Well I've recently been driving my wifes runaround which is a 'SUV' style car and have grown to really enjoy the lofty position. That coupled with the point and squit-ness of the AMG lump has led me to the ML55.

I know dynamically its far from the best but as a cruiser with a bit of town work I think it would be quite nice with the added bonus of THAT noise under the right foot! Don't do a big mileage so fuel consumption isnt a biggie but what about reliability and servicing?

Anyone have any opinions on the ML55 or even the ML in general??? Tips/pointers/pitfalls all welcome!!

Have even seen a kleeman badged '55 for much cheapness!!!

Last edited:
I'd say buying the ML55 would be a head decision too.

The W163 ML wasn't well loved - compared to say the later X5 - and so they're great value.

Stick to the facelift model - slightly nicer inside and out, and supposedly better built.

Nice cars IMHO.

be careful though as there are a lot of abused ones around.. all the ones ive seen never seem to have any service history and look generally unloved.

yeah i've noticed some shabby cars around too. any ideas on the correct service schedule - and what would a servicing cost from an indy/dealer??

Does it have to be a ML55? The ML500 sounds good too and less likely to be caned?! Costs would be a tad cheaper too. I went for an ML350 which I'm enjoying - facelifted is a big improvement - look at the centre dials on a pre-facelift dash and you'll get the idea!

Agreed. We looked at two ML 55's with the thought of converting to a seven seater which can be done. The ML isn't known for its good suspension, we ended up with a 52 plate ML500 as the ride in the AMG was shocking, although roll was better controlled. It certainly shifts and growls nicely, but is docile when it needs to be. I could see it as a real long-termer if it wasnt for the appalling low-speed crashy suspension (which coming from someone who runs a Nissan Cabstar on 4 leaf springs is quite something!)

I'm very happy with mine (ML350) which is actually a 3.7 V6.

I've so far had this over two years which for me is good :) as I tend to change evey year. I have even considered the ML55 as only do 6K - 7K a year.

I remember a colleague having a ML500 and his trip showed 14mpg regularly I'm not sure if a ML55 could be any worse?? Also servicing and parts will be quite a bit more being an AMG.

In the 'real' world I'm not even sure you need more than what I have in a SUV type car, straight line with the auto box it goes quite well, I've seen 130 on a private road :) yet I can get 25 to 28 mpg on a run.

They do go round bends quite well when you get use to the lean.... If its just you in the car you can throw it round a bit :)

I've seen that Kleenman one (I assume its the same silver one thats been on and off of e bay a few times).

If you do go for one I would get a facelifted one, 2001 or newer.

Also try and get the best spec possible,

Family pack
Lux Pack
Command
Parking sensons
Xenons
Sunroof (very rare)

The w163 do not get a good report in general but I've found mine a very nice car to own. In two years off ownership its had an oil change and a biger service thats it...

:)

haha thanks - yeah nobody could ever say they need a ML55 over the 500 or even the 350... its a matter of 'because you can' lol. i think they are amazingly good value at the mo, although the kleeman one i have discovered has finally been sold! (circa £12k iirc!)

Been looking at a 01 but non-facelift which looks nice but is possibly due a (big?) service but is otherwise a decent looking car. Did try searching but couldn't find the servicing schedule here - anyone able to help?

have found out this info from the VIN - any comments?

Order 0 0 577 22141
Delivery date
Dealer
Spain (577)
Interior
exclusive black leather (561)
Paint
189 emerald (green) black metallic (с 1993)
Options E12 door sill panels, illuminated blue front (с 26.06.1997)
E16 lockable wheel bolts (с 26.06.1997)
E55 Unknown code 345 rains sensor for windshield wipers (с 01.10.1993)
352 operation and monitoring system comand (navigation + radio/cassette) (с 01.09.1996)
461 instrument with mileage reading and english lettering (с 01.04.1990)
524 paintcoat preservation (с 01.01.1964)
617 headlamps and fog lamps or additional high beam light, amber, and additional halogen fog lamp (from april 1st, 1970); additional turn signal lamps for italy, and rear turn signal lamps, orange
xenon headlight asymmetric, left driving traffic (с 01.03.1994)
669 spare wheel (с 01.06.1995)
spare wheel (R170)
801 Change of year of model, last figure shows new model year
819 CD changer - alpine - in trunk (с 31.07.1992)
840 elimination of all-wheel drive 4 x 2 (for cross-country vehicles only)
dark tinted glass (с 01.10.1994)
887 lockable safe (с 01.10.1994)
984 elimination of ownership certificate but with coc papers (с 01.06.1993)
500A Unknown code

Having been out in an ML 3something I would reccomend that if your looking for a powerful SUV then look at a discovery. They are great to drive, nice powerful engines and have been doing the SUV thing a lot longer then merc and IMO have got the balance between hard core 4x4 and luxury cruiser just right!

One of our neighbours had an ML55AMG and I just loved listening to it as she drove by our house.

I personally cannot see the sense of having such a brilliant engine in a 4x4 but hey ho.... SO WHAT. It is each to their and if that is what you like then go for it.

Our neighbours vehicle was a nice metallic gold and absolutely immaculate, so whilst there might be some tatty ones about, there are also some good ones.

I have no idea what your budget is but if you are after performance then have you considered the 420Cdi? they are also real flying machines but sound wise they are NOT in the same playing field as the AMG

Having been out in an ML 3something I would reccomend that if your looking for a powerful SUV then look at a discovery. They are great to drive, nice powerful engines and have been doing the SUV thing a lot longer then merc and IMO have got the balance between hard core 4x4 and luxury cruiser just right!

Speaking as an ex D3 owner I have to say that the diesel versions are really slow, 0 to 60 11 or 12 secs with top speed only just about 110mph. Petrol V8s are faster, 0 to 60 around 8 secs and max around 120mph but you need you own oil field.

Mine was a diesel and I couldn't put up with the (lack of) performance.

Excellent ride, real magic carpet stuff. As stated a really impressive combination of off road ability and street comfort, image and practicality.

Well we have an ML500, on an 02 plate, and love it, big powerful and safe.

Around town I would say we get about 18mpg, and on a run between 22 and 25 depending on how loud we press the pedal.

Brakes and discs are more expensive, approx £300 for front pads and discs.

Watch out for rust, ours is starting to go on the inner arches, and around the tailgate handle.

We have the seven seater option and its great, worth a bit of a premium.

The 55 has the spare wheel in the boot I think which means it would be a pain to convert.

Speaking as an ex D3 owner I have to say that the diesel versions are really slow, 0 to 60 11 or 12 secs with top speed only just about 110mph. Petrol V8s are faster, 0 to 60 around 8 secs and max around 120mph but you need you own oil field.

Mine was a diesel and I couldn't put up with the (lack of) performance.

Excellent ride, real magic carpet stuff. As stated a really impressive combination of off road ability and street comfort, image and practicality.

Very fair comments, I Love the V8, as its sitting on 4x4 suspension when you tap the pedal in nutral it rocks the car LOL

As with most of these cars performance the petrols are better and cheaper to buy. The X3 3.0d seems to be the exception.

LPG in a ML500 and your getting 40mpg :)

The ML55 you have the details for that is a pre facelifted one? no indicators in mirrors? I would be tempted to go for the facelifted one if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom