ML63 AMG M156 W164

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rOckyAMG

SUPPORTER
Car
Mine: ML63 PP Hers: CLA45 PREV: E63 W212, Edition 507 x 2, ML63 AMG, C63 AMG PPP, CLA45 AMG
What are your thoughts on this beast?

I'd like to hear from people who have also owned them too and mods that are recommended?

Also, I'd like to know any options to look out for.

I am thinking of getting one just as a daily and then look for something to replace the c63 ppp.

Rocky

I can help too... I had a 2007 20k miles ML63 fully optioned almost that i used as a daily 5-6 years ago... never had any major problems with it... I sold it to Olly on here who owns and runs PCS so you can ask him too.
For me i wanted heated and cooled seats and a sunroof as my "must haves", although mine almost had every option box ticked by the purchasing owner... I ran 22" Lorinser alloys and i removed the resonators to open up the sound a bit, fitted the later paddle shift steering wheel too as per pics below.. I'd buy another if I could find a heavily optioned one in black with lowish miles...
6aXpriq.jpg

WMdkDdI.jpg

aoDj7Z2.jpg

Hi,
We have a 2015 ML63 AMG with the optional engine upgrade pack (557hp, red calipers, carbon fiber engine cover, alcantara&leather steering wheel and 280km/h speed limit raise)
Bought the car new and generally very happy with it.
Serviced every 15,000 miles at the main dealer - coming up for 90,000 km service in next few weeks.
It eats brakes and tyres.
Cheers
Steve

What do you want to know? Wonderful cars, and a great car for every day use. Many will disagree!

What its like as a daily and options to look out for.

I can help too... I had a 2007 20k miles ML63 fully optioned almost that i used as a daily 5-6 years ago... never had any major problems with it... I sold it to Olly on here who owns and runs PCS so you can ask him too.
For me i wanted heated and cooled seats and a sunroof as my "must haves", although mine almost had every option box ticked by the purchasing owner... I ran 22" Lorinser alloys and i removed the resonators to open up the sound a bit, fitted the later paddle shift steering wheel too as per pics below.. I'd buy another if I could find a heavily optioned one in black with lowish miles...
6aXpriq.jpg

WMdkDdI.jpg

aoDj7Z2.jpg

Thanks for that. I also need those heated seats. Any other options to look out for?
I am currently at a few in black and silver. Not seen many with low miles.

I drive a W164 M156 ML63 AMG every day, and it's great. I use it for anything and everything, and it's equally happy touring Europe as it is bumper to bumper town driving. For short distance town driving, 13.X MPG is the norm, expect 19.X MPG taking it easy on a run.

I wouldn't entertain one without a very full service history. The engine is surprisingly robust for the performance. The M156 engine is noisy at idle (not exhaust noise) but don't be put off my that. Air suspension pumps can fail, but that's true for any car with air suspension.

A high-revving naturally aspirated engine shouldn't really work in a large SUV but it works beautifully. It genuinely feels fast, and never short on torque, no doubt helped by the instantaneous response from the engine. And then there's the sound. SUVs shouldn't sound this good, or go this fast, but I'm glad they do.

I see you mention heated seats, they're standard in the UK, as is the sunroof, reversing camera and tailgate. Cooled seats are very rare. The only option I would look for is the factory upgraded wheels: for the pre-facelift 20-inch (up from 19-inch); for the facelift 21-inch (up from 20-inch). Make a big difference.

I see you mention heated seats, they're standard in the UK, as is the sunroof, reversing camera and tailgate. Cooled seats are very rare. The only option I would look for is the factory upgraded wheels: for the pre-facelift 20-inch (up from 19-inch); for the facelift 21-inch (up from 20-inch). Make a big difference.
Here's mine on it's Winter wheels, which are the pre-facelift factory upgraded 20-inch wheels:

full

Here it it's Summer wheels, which are the facelift factory upgraded 21-inch wheels:

full

Here's mine on it's Winter wheels, which are the pre-facelift factory upgraded 20-inch wheels:

full

Here it it's Summer wheels, which are the facelift factory upgraded 21-inch wheels:

full

I like the bottom more :)

She's on those at the moment. I can't decide. I think I like the top best, but then again...

Alternate weekly :p

I had the 20's as standard on my Bobby... when clean they always looked good... The lorinsers although IMO looked great were very brittle hence a few weld repairs.... big wheels don't get on with the crappy UK roads....

She's on those at the moment. I can't decide. I think I like the top best, but then again...

I've bought it as my daily. I am pretty happy. I wasn’t fussed the mileage being in the late 000s as I will be using it for commuting and it being an 08 car.

I can comfortably say the old boy can move a little.

I read somewhere you can get Bluetooth sorting with the maker device which I will be sorting out. Any other recommendations for little gizmos?

So what options did it come with? Remove that centre exhaust box.... sounds so much better....

So what options did it come with? Remove that centre exhaust box.... sounds so much better....

These are the options:

Code Description
16I CONTROL CODE TUSCALOOSA PLANT
197U OBSIDIAN BLACK
19I CONTROL CODE TUSCALOOSA PLANT
205B OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE RECORD - ENGLISH
213 SPEED-SENSITIVE POWER STEERING/VARIO STEERING
214 ADAPTIVE DAMPING SYSTEM
218 REAR-VIEW CAMERA
220 PARKTRONIC SYSTEM (PTS)
241 ELECTRICALLY ADJUSTABLE LEFT DRIVER SEAT W MEMORY
249 INSIDE AND OUTSIDE MIRROR AUTOMATIC DIMMING
250B MOBILO LIFE/EUROPE SERVICE PACKAGE
275 MEMORY PACKAGE (DRIVER SEAT, STRG. COL., MIRROR)
283B AIRBAGLABLE - ENGLISH
293 SIDEBAG IN REAR LEFT AND RIGHT
299 PRESAFE
335B INSTRUMENT CLUSTER/HU LANGUAGE - ENGLISH
345 RAIN SENSOR
386 UNIVERSAL TELEPHONY PACKAGE
401 FRONT SEAT CLIMATE CONTROL
404 MULTI-CONTOUR SEAT, FRONT LEFT
405 MULTI-CONTOUR SEAT, FRONT RIGHT
414 ELECTRIC TILT/SLIDE SUNROOF IN GLASS VERSION
427 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 7-SPEED
438 CRASH-ACTIVE HEAD RESTRAINTS (CAK)
441 STEERING COLUMN, ADJUSTABLE
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
475 TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR (TPM) HIGH LINE/MID LINE
489 AIRMATIC DUAL CONTROL / AIR SUSPENSION SEMI-ACTIVE
500 OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR LH AND RH FOLDING
500A EXCLUSIVE LEATHER TRIM
501A EXCLUSIVE LEATHER - BLACK/ANTHRACITE
524 VEHICLE PROTECTIVE COVER (FULL BODY COVER)
527 COMAND DVD APS WITH NAVIGATION
537L GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND
550 TRAILER COUPLING
551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
581 AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL
5XXL EUROPE
600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
616 BI-XENON HEADLICHT W.ACTVIE CURVELIGHT LEFT-DRIVE
619 CORNERING ILLUMINATION
668 PRODUCT PROT. F FREIGHT PACKAG. W TIE-DOWN HOOKS
669 SPARE WHEEL / FOLDING WHEEL
673 HIGH-CAPACITY BATTERY
682 FIRE EXTINGUISHER
691 BLUE HEAT-INSULATING GLASS ALL-AROUND, GLASS REAR
720 ROOF RAILING
723 TRUNK COVERING
729 TRIM PIECES - WOOD POPLAR
772 AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE SKIRT
778 20" AMG SPOKED WHEELS ALL-ROUND
808 AEJ 07/1
810 PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM
817 SIREN BRACKET FOR INCREASED THEFT PROTECTION
819 CD CHANGER
840 DARK TINTED GLASS
846 SCUFF PLATE IN ALU-APPEARANCE WITH RUBBER STUDS
863 TV-TUNER DIGITAL TO ANALOG
864 REAR ENTERTAINMENT (2 SCREENS)
872 REAR SEAT BENCH HEATING LEFT UND RIGHT
875 HEATED SCREEN WASH SYSTEM
876 INTERIOR LIGHT ASSEMBLY
882 INTERIOR SAFEGUARD
885 HIGHTEN THEFT PROTECTION
889 KEYLESS - GO
890 AUTOMATIC REAR-END DOOR
900 EXTERIOR CHROME PACKAGE
983 COC PAPER EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY W/O REG. CERT. PART II
989 IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD
A05 TRANSMISSION ALL-WHEEL CAPABLE
A21 SHIFT BY WIRE
A22 NEW CONVERTER GENERATION
A38 M - VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY WITH VGS 2
A44 SOFTWARE 3
F164 SERIES 164
FW LIMOUSINE
G907 W 6 A 700 AUSFUEHRUNG 07
GA AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
J58 RIGHT BRACKET
K11 ADAPTIVE STOP LIGHT FLASHING
K14 CONTROL CODE FOR SERVICE INTERVAL 20000 KM
M156 V8 GASOLINE ENGINE M156 - AMG
M63 6.3 LITER DISPLACEMENT
R RIGHT-HAND STEERING
R01 SUMMER TIRES
U18 AUTOMATIC CHILD SEAT RECOGNITATION (AKSE)
U26 FLOOR MATS - AMG
U72 DVD PLAYER WITH REGIONAL CODE 2, EUROPE, JAPAN
V37 SPEED+ - LOADINDEX 106

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom