ML63: improving exhaust note?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ftogpx

Car
S204 C63 Estate PPP
Morning Guys. I'm currently looking to buy a 2007 ML63 and managed to go and view a couple on the weekend. Pics really don't do these beasts any justice as they're much more purposeful and handsome in the flesh imo. The engine is something else and there's something very addictive about accelerating so fast in a 2.5 ton jeep.

I'm definitely sold on getting one, but I was slightly disappointed by the sound (or lack of) they make. I definitely think they could do with a few changes to the exhaust system. Has anyone had any experience of changing making a few changes to the stock system, may be with a resonator delete and installing straight pipes instead? I know the SLK55 boys do something similar with an x pipe, but I can't find much info on a similar mod for the ML63 so may be it's not recommended?

I bought the ML63 last month and I totally agree that the sound is lacking for what it could or should be for such a beast, I am about to delete the resonator and put straight pipes in, in the new year unless someone tells me something detrimental so I will let you no next month if it's done and the sound it makes, i heard one that's been decat and that sound is terrifyingly awesome but can lead to an mot failure so I hear so am leaving that option

Andrew

The ml especially seems to be so quiet. I have taken out the centre box and rear box with straight pipes on an ml55. It's the older gen and not as much of a beast but the difference was unreal. Taking the centre box out which is what I did first (x pipe ) doesn't really do much apart from give it more of a "noise" didn't define the v8 at all. Once I replace the back box with straight pipes that's when it became an animal. Pure v8 but not stupidly loud as still has cats and secondary cats

Morning Guys. I'm currently looking to buy a 2007 ML63 and managed to go and view a couple on the weekend. Pics really don't do these beasts any justice as they're much more purposeful and handsome in the flesh imo. The engine is something else and there's something very addictive about accelerating so fast in a 2.5 ton jeep.

I'm definitely sold on getting one, but I was slightly disappointed by the sound (or lack of) they make. I definitely think they could do with a few changes to the exhaust system. Has anyone had any experience of changing making a few changes to the stock system, may be with a resonator delete and installing straight pipes instead? I know the SLK55 boys do something similar with an x pipe, but I can't find much info on a similar mod for the ML63 so may be it's not recommended?

There will be plenty options available, just be careful though removing the resonator and replacing with straight pipes, most install a X pipe to stop drone.
Speak with Imran ( torque flow) part of MSL at Birmingham and he can design build and install a system to suit.

When I looked at an ML, I also felt they were very muted, then plumped for the E63, which has exactly the same problem. Imran removed my centre resonator a few weeks back and it has brought the E to life. Might be a good first shout for the ML, as if the improvement is half as good as mine, you'll be delighted. Also, absolutely no drone.

Last edited:
I mentioned this thread to Mrs D yesterday, and she said if you can't hear the V8 roar then you're not driving it hard enough!

i need the same for my ml63, i also wanted one but thought they looked funny, then in the flesh i liked it and driving wise i think its the best car ive ever owned, and ive had alot of good and performance cars, m3s,x5s, rrs etc etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom