ML63 oil drain - oil cooler drain? M156

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bert_W164

Car
ML (W164)
Hi all,

I've got the genuine oil filter and sump washer from Mercedes locally and have ordered 10l of M156 spec oil from Mercs Newcastle on eBay.

The car is a 2007 ML63 W164 M156.

Just doing a bit of reading it seems across the pond draining the oil cooler which holds another litre or so of oil is recommended.

I had my last oil change done at Mercedes, and due to a close relation was allowed in the workshop where by I watched what they do, which was a case of draining the oil from the sump. Replace with 8-9l and check dip stick...

Should I be also draining elsewhere?

Last edited:
In many service procedures you aren't able to change 100% of the fluid e.g. coolant change, gearbox oil change and in some cases engine oil.

The servicing carried out by a Main Dealer (to MB Specification) will just be a basic drain and refill. In theory the fact not 100% of the fluid is changed is factored into the fluid change schedule.

Opening up extra lines is usually the recipe for a leak.

Personally I just change the oil at a more frequent interval to be sure the oil is in good shape. For modern oils (that in VW and BMW engines only require a change every 2 years) time is not the issue as much as mileage. On a petrol engine like yours you can get a feel for the condition of the oil by its colour. On my M156 to me the oil starts to look a bit brown by about 4,000 miles so I'll be changing it every 6,000 miles (or sooner) to keep it super fresh.

Hi Jason,

Thanks mate, I won't worry about draining the oil cooler then. Just waiting on the oil to arrive now 😁

If you want to do the job properly in line with the manufacturer instructions you have to drain the oil cooler.

The M156 engine takes 9.7 litres of 229.5 oil (0W40 or 5W40).

Cheers @CrazyCow, guess I will be draining it then as I'd like to follow the official instructions.

@CrazyCow without starting a glorious oil debate, any reason to use one weight over the other? I've gone with 5w/40 MB oil meeting the MB spec. I note my oil filler cap recommends Mobil 1, which I've been running it on so far, but when I called the dealer they offered me the MB oil, but I know when I had it serviced in London the last two times they religiously use Mobil 1.

It's very easy to start a debate unintentionally when it comes to the engine oil :)

In my personal opinion the low temperature viscosity between 0W and 5W is negligible in the UK climate and unless you run a lab test you will not notice any difference.

The main thing is to use the right spec (229.5), viscosity ( both 0W40 and 5W40 are approved for M156) and purchase the oil from a reputable source. I believe you have made the right choice as you can't go wrong with a genuine oil, but i would not have any objections against Mobil 1 either. It's a matter of personal preference.

Cheers, I appreciate your input and knowledge. That settles it.

What flavour of the GLB do you have? 🙂

I stand corrected. Apologies for the duff info.

I've just had a look at the WIS for my M156 engine and mine has just one sump drain plug but it does have an oil cooler drain plug. The official instructions do require the oil cooler to be drained too.

That then prompted me to look through my service history. One MB Dealer has charged for 9 litres of oil and two sealing washers each time it serviced the car. Another MB Dealer has charged for 8 litres of oil and one sealing washer both times it serviced the car....

I stand corrected. Apologies for the duff info.

I've just had a look at the WIS for my M156 engine and mine has just one sump drain plug but it does have an oil cooler drain plug. The official instructions do require the oil cooler to be drained too.

That then prompted me to look through my service history. One MB Dealer has charged for 9 litres of oil and two sealing washers each time it serviced the car. Another MB Dealer has charged for 8 litres of oil and one sealing washer both times it serviced the car....
Hey Jason,

I too was under the impression draining just the sump pan and 8l was the way forward as that's what I observed myself...

Though through this exchange at least the official process is clear for anyone else wondering what the correct procedure is, and also shows Mercedes seems to be inconsistent at following their own procedures...

Thanks for your input and checking your service history 🙂

On my M156, I do drain the oil cooler also. The sump plug on the cooler drain is the same size on the sump drain and washer. I got the 20 litre drum of 5w40 MB oil. I changed every 5k.

If you want to do the job properly in line with the manufacturer instructions you have to drain the oil cooler.

The M156 engine takes 9.7 litres of 229.5 oil (0W40 or 5W40).

5/40 is the recommended oil by Amg -

"Guys, AMG Private lounge answered this question: 5W40.

Lifters are prone to bleed down and 0w40 is too light at start up, making the condition worse.

Go hard if you want to use 0W40, but the suggested oil from the horses mouth is 5W40 and has been for years now."

Cheers, I appreciate your input and knowledge. That settles it.

What flavour of the GLB do you have? 🙂

Unfortunately it's not a 35 AMG :) but only a 220d AMG Line. I never thought I would enjoy driving an SUV though. It's great .

5/40 is the recommended oil by Amg -

Could you clarify where does "recommended oil by Amg" come from ?

As it's been said earlier as long as as the oil meets 229.5 standard and is either 0W40 or 5W40 it is approved by Mercedes-Benz ergo Mercedes-AMG for the M156 engine (and others).

Your links show that (some) owners prefer 5W40 which I don't dispute.

Interestingly the genuine Mercedes-AMG branded engine oil is only available in 0W40.

229.5_0W40_AMG.jpg

Oil change done.

The oil cooler drain plug has its own cut out on the driver's side front number, access is really good.

I did run into slight trouble, it looks like no one has drained the oil cooler in years as the copper washer is fused to the cooler!! I did give it a tap but given I need the car right now wasn't comfortable with using brute force so drained it and left the fused washer in place. I'll keep an eye on it like a hawk for any leaks.

Given how cheap the oil is and how easy it is to drain, I'll drop the oil in a couple of thousand miles and revisit the washer situation.

It took a surprisingly long time to drain the engine oil, but I let the very last drops come out and put in approx 8.75l and hit just below max level so happy days. I started the car up, let it get to temp and then tightened the oil cooler - I read due to it being aluminium (the cooler) it's best to tighten once it's at temp.

@CrazyCow - so it's a torque monster, I had a C220D trying to push me along the other day, it moved surprisingly well, I'm guessing perhaps it was remapped, of course the debadged 63 swiftly left it behind hehe.

And I feel the same about my ML, somehow despite the driving position (height) it doesn't feel like I'm driving a post code, my other car is a Golf GT (Mk5) which is stupidly low in comparison, though that feeling of oh lord I'm now driving a bus doesn't come into it.

I've been a passenger in a W163 in the past, and have to admit that did feel like it was going to fall over when turning, but the more recent stuff from Mercedes, even with their tall stance are surprisingly nimble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom