ML63 or ML420 - Whats the opinion ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSLiverpool

MB Enthusiast
Car
Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
Decided against the Toureg V10 - no real reason but i fancy a ML instead as Im SO happy with the SL55 Im in love with MB again.

As an ex lorry driver I like big diesels so a ML420 is attractive so is a AMG though.

£30k will be tight on a ML63 but do-able on a 420

Most seem to have Artico and velour trim - yuk - why ?

Apart from the things I have learnt from searching is a particular year / type a no no ?

MAX budget is £30k and Im prepared to haggle hard

Decided against the Toureg V10 - no real reason but i fancy a ML instead as Im SO happy with the SL55 Im in love with MB again.

As an ex lorry driver I like big diesels so a ML420 is attractive so is a AMG though.

Apart from the things I have learnt from searching is a particular year / type a no no ?

Before my business was nearly wrecked by a former school friend, I was looking at the ML 420 CDi which were just hitting £20k a month or so ago.
I mainly test drove the 320s because they were more in my price range but the one 420 that I did test drive was brilliant.
In fact it was rather scary how that engine shifted 2.5 tons so quickly, 304 bhp if I remember correctly.
The one thing I did find bizarre is that you would have thought with the 420 being the 'bigger, better' model that there would be loads out there that are top spec but I found that in typical Mercedes fashion, you had to look hard to find Comand/Heated Memory Seats etc.

With regards the Artico/Suede trim, I had the same levels of disgust that there doesn't seem to be a full leather unless you go for an SE:crazy: As it happened, another forum member was re-trimming his ML500 SE and was getting rid of his full leather interior which I took of him in anticipation of me buying a 164 ML.
I now no longer need it (for obvious reasons) so if you wanted the interior whilst making a donation to a charity of your choice & cover postage (or pick it up) you could have it for free. ;)

The sport only comes with the hideous half artico and velour :( really bad. In order to get leather you need to go with an SE model.

how about a GL420?

Before my business was nearly wrecked by a former school friend, I was looking at the ML 420 CDi which were just hitting £20k a month or so ago.
I mainly test drove the 320s because they were more in my price range but the one 420 that I did test drive was brilliant.
In fact it was rather scary how that engine shifted 2.5 tons so quickly, 304 bhp if I remember correctly.
The one thing I did find bizarre is that you would have thought with the 420 being the 'bigger, better' model that there would be loads out there that are top spec but I found that in typical Mercedes fashion, you had to look hard to find Comand/Heated Memory Seats etc.

With regards the Artico/Suede trim, I had the same levels of disgust that there doesn't seem to be a full leather unless you go for an SE:crazy: As it happened, another forum member was re-trimming his ML500 SE and was getting rid of his full leather interior which I took of him in anticipation of me buying a 164 ML.
I now no longer need it (for obvious reasons) so if you wanted the interior whilst making a donation to a charity of your choice & cover postage (or pick it up) you could have it for free. ;)

Great post thanks - let me know the colour please.

My Mrs works for a childrens hospice Im happy to put money their way, they are about to have a duck race on the Mersey canal bit at the pier head, they have 40,000 ducks in it so far (plastic of course)

The sport only comes with the hideous half artico and velour :( really bad. In order to get leather you need to go with an SE model.

how about a GL420?

GL420, - ML is hard to justify, in fact if justification was required I would be in a smart or on a bike as I have a 8 mile commute (total) one up out of rush hour 3 or 4 days a week. A GL would be impossible to justify, its so big - so so big.

In fact Im talking myself out of this as I type (must stop typing) :eek:;)

I could easily use the SL for the next 5 months, ditch the Jag and save a few thousand - STOP TYPING DAVE !!!

It is in excellent condition and the colour is a rather fetching Black.
PM me for more details. ;)

Let me get a bit further down the ownership road before I end up with something else the Mrs beats me up over :D

Im off to see a ML63 on thursday in Macc its a little over budget but .....

GL is not that big ;-) my 5'1" wife drove ours for 18months on the school run etc and it was brilliant......also, tend to have all the toys /leather etc etc....also depreciate much faster than ML so better value used (see my posts about ours in a recent Rangerover thread)

that being said, there aint no substitute for 6.3 litres of AMG muscle! :)

I drove the 420 when I bought my 320 and went for the 320 cdi over it as I felt that the 320 was fast enough whilst returning OK economy. The 420 had a average readout of 22 on the computer when I scrolled through (wonder why dealers dont think to zero these!).

For that economy I would get the 63.

I actually liked the interior on my sport - I miss that car a lot.

I sampled the half artico/suede and prefered it over the leather. Sport trim is somewhat nicer but maybe misses the point.

If leather etc is a must, maybe the AMG 63 is the way to go, even for a slightly increased budget. Or an ML500. You'll get one of those under £30k.

We used to run a couple of the 420's and about 6 320's in our company.

The 420 was great! Loved every moment when driving them. Nothing wrong with the 320 but would feel a bit slow on the german autobahn when trying to keep up with traffic.

The only problem we had was the fact that all the 320's drank more fuel than the 420's :eek: The 420's returned about 26-27mpg. All models were Sport (apart one which was customised with Carlson 20" wheels and special red leather interior. Looked the nuts!

I have also tried the ML63 which is an express train on wheels! Amazing power and the ability to haul the 2.5 tonnes is really something. However, fuel economy is a "don't even think about it" matter as they are not built with this in mind.... :devil:

The only problem we had was the fact that all the 320's drank more fuel than the 420's :eek:

I can believe that .. big power does not always mean higher fuel consumption

I sampled the half artico/suede and prefered it over the leather. Sport trim is somewhat nicer but maybe misses the point.

If leather etc is a must, maybe the AMG 63 is the way to go, even for a slightly increased budget. Or an ML500. You'll get one of those under £30k.

I normally have leather but find the artico/suede good to sit in and it is easy to keep looking clean etc - it just doesn't look as good - thank heavens for blacked out windows.

you will be able to get a ml63 for 30k that one in macc is on for 29990 which has just been reduced from 33k it has had a big service done on it which cost nearly 1k had plugs done and service. i rang up yesterday about it the only thing it hasnt got that i like is sunroof ,a must for me.
the ml 63 is a beast of a car and its the only car ive really only missed when it went.the road presence is good and its fast in a way that is deceiving. not many about so the rare factor will also be good and one thing i noticed was it always got positive reaction from people in the know. the look on some supercar owners when they could'nt pull away from a big black jeep was priceless. black is the colour to have.

the look on some supercar owners when they could'nt pull away from a big black jeep was priceless. black is the colour to have.

:thumb:

If you still had the interior on offer I ould happily make a charitable donation...

I have a sport without the leather...

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom