ML63 W164 2007 - Comand Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndySML45

Car
ML63
Hi. I'm picking up a mint and original spec 2007 ML63 at the weekend and I'm told by the dealer it has the standard MB speakers in it, not the HK upgrade. I can't see the HK badge on the speaker grills in the photo's so I have no reason to doubt, but I thought HK was standard on the ML63 at that time (but only referenced from USA brochures). Does anyone have one of that age and confirm?

On the basis it's a base Comand and speaker system, has anyone upgraded part or all of one and care to share advice? Any model in the ML range, not just the '63. Same kit ultimately. I'm just about to move away from a W212 e350 which has the HK upgrade and gets played with pleasure at full volume regularly. I'm happy for my new car to be older but not the hifi.

Not ML, but www.comand.co.uk retrofitted COMAND to my W204 (a later model of COMAND than the car would come with if it had it factory-fitted in 2013), and upgraded the sound system using Morel speakers, Alpine subwoofer, and Dynamat sound proofing. Highly recommend.

My 2007 has harmon/kardon on the speakers, no idea though if it was an upgrade as I bought used. Sound nice though however loud.

I can’t remember seeing a UK car (of that generation ML63) without it.

Last edited:
Check the build card from the vin. That will tell you if hk was fitted. My 06 GL has it fitted but the decals on the speakers were missing. Sub will be in right rear compartment in boot. Dead giveaway.

You can see from the comand if it has the Logic 7/surround sound option.

The HK system can be massively improved by changing the speakers.

Thanks all. The lack of a badge on the speakers has thrown me but it seems that wasn't a standard practice. How odd. Time will tell then. I'd rather keep the standard Comand, even if it is a little aged now. It fits well with the dashboard design and original nature and would be a shame to spoil it. So long as my iPhone connects then I'm good.

I am interested in your comment though Alfie. If there's a like for like speaker upgrade you've experienced I'm happy to progress those investigations. Subtle and invisible.

Thanks all. The lack of a badge on the speakers has thrown me but it seems that wasn't a standard practice. How odd. Time will tell then. I'd rather keep the standard Comand, even if it is a little aged now. It fits well with the dashboard design and original nature and would be a shame to spoil it. So long as my iPhone connects then I'm good.

I am interested in your comment though Alfie. If there's a like for like speaker upgrade you've experienced I'm happy to progress those investigations. Subtle and invisible.

Mine has standard command, but speakers have emblem. Did you remove the left hand side panel in the boot area, you can see a sub speaker there ( as per Andrews comment). Mine has this.

Again only as per Andrews comments this is the way to tell (I think)

I don't get the car until Saturday so I'll have a nosey then. Hoping there's a sub and HK installed.

www.comand.co.uk replaced the standard speakers (non-HK) in my W204 with Morel speakers, keeping the original COMAND unit (NTG4.5).

The sound quality is massively improved, and the installation is totally indistinguishable from the original fitment.

Very pleased with the result.

I now have the car and it's not an HK system. There's no sub in the boot on only basic bass/treble controls. So it's time to change. Given the Nav isn't working and the video seems equally unresponsive I'm going to ditch the head unit and go for a new aftermarket one. And then bang in the supporting speakers. Alpine do a nice direct speaker swap package which could be suitable. Time for tedious research to start.

I now have the car and it's not an HK system. There's no sub in the boot on only basic bass/treble controls. So it's time to change. Given the Nav isn't working and the video seems equally unresponsive I'm going to ditch the head unit and go for a new aftermarket one. And then bang in the supporting speakers. Alpine do a nice direct speaker swap package which could be suitable. Time for tedious research to start.
They do a head unit too: Advanced Navi Station, Alpine Style Product for Mercedes-Benz ML and GL. - Alpine - X800D-ML

Hi The Alpine X800D-ML seems to be discontinued now (Checked in May 2019) Does anyone have a recommended Alternative (Or know where I can get hold of a this discontinued unit?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom