ML63 w164 coolant loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trinitom

Car
ML 63
Hi people

So looks like im losing coolant on my ML.... o_O
i'm aware of the head bolts issue on these engines and i have read a ton of information around the net about this problem.
the coolant loss started a few weeks back so i did top up to the right level, today i got the low coolant warning again and it was like 2" under the max mark.
car has 95k miles with fsh and i don't think the head bolts have been replaced, at least there is no info in the service book regarding that.
so what do you guys think? broken head bolt?
there is a bit of white smoke on start up witch dissipates after a few seconds, there is no funny noises and oil looks normal in color.
is there any other usual know faults that can cause coolant loss somewhere?

I used to have one of these.

I would get a pressure test done first to rule out things like water pumps etc. Head bolt issues are not common despite what you may read.

I'm going to UV test the cooling system and go from there, but whatever the outcome im thinking in get those bolts replaced for peace of mind.

hi people
just a little update on the coolant loss, so after using the UV test i have finally found where the problem is.
there is a little crack on the radiator plastic housing where the top pipe connects.
don't know which other models use the same rad, but work a check if someone is losing coolant too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom