ML63? w164

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
What are these like then peeps? And that question..... how bad on fuel are they?

Would i get 20mpg? as tbh that's really my limit lol, My cars have to do at least 20mpg on a run, obviously around town imnot worried etc.

I had a 2007 63 many years ago and it was lovely... never had an ounce of issues with it.... however, the early ones can suffer from engine issues so have any potential purchase run through by a good indie even just for verbal advice. Mine was black with black and highly optioned, there are many to choose from so get a high optioned on if you can..... seriously considering another for a daily...

I used to "drive" mine and at worst saw 10mpg and best 22mpg.... driving like a Nun i saw 28 but "very" rarely.... make friends with your local Shell petrol Station...
That being said it spent most of its time on 22" Lorinser rims, so that would have affected the mpg somewhat...

Really appreciate the reply sir thankyou. Humm yes the 6.2 lump is a worry, I’m also considering the 420 cdi only as like torquey engines and v8’s the diesel clutter doesn’t put me off , I’m strange like that haha.

I love the W164 ML63, it's a great car. A high revving naturally aspirated engine shouldn't work so well in an SUV, but it's a wonderful pairing.

Yesterday I managed 20.9 MPG on a sedate trip 120 mile trip which was 90%+ motorway and drove al carriageway, spending most of it with cruise control set to 60 MPH and never exceeding 70 MPH. I posted on here the most I've ever managed - I think it was 25 MPG on the same journey.

Yesterday my passenger asked what the long term average MPG was, and if I remember right, when I checked it the trip computer was reset around 14,000 miles ago and I've managed 17.7 MPG since then, but I spend 90%+ of my time on motorways and dual carriageways.

He joked about the ludicrous nature of having a 6.2 litre engine, and he has a point. As I said to him, it is (and the ML63 generally is) truly one the most versatile cars, as it can do pretty much anything better than you could expect it to, and it does it really well, but it's also the most ridiculous car to do it in.

It can go fast, really fast, but it's ridiculous doing that in an ML63, you'd be better off in say an SLS.
It can cross continents in comfort, but it's ridiculous doing that in an ML63, you'd be better off in say an S.
It can tow a caravan, but it's ridiculous doing that in an ML63, when you could use a diesel ML.
It can commute in comfort, but it's ridiculous doing that in an ML63, when you could use a hybrid C.

No worries....PM SPX as he ran a 420cdi a few years ago and knows his Mercs....
Lee preferred his own ML420 to the ML63 when he test drove one. Never driven the ML420, but I can imagine it being a wonderful thing to drive if you like SUVs.

I’m reading the OP because I too have thought about the ML63.

I remember talking to Ollie at PCS when he sold his a few years back, and one of his reasons was the price of high fuel consumption.

Having said that, if you are thinking about an ML63 for your daily drive, then perhaps not, but as a fun-mobile, why not?
Come to think of it, not unlike a SL63 ;)

If I were to get an ML I think I’d have a 420CDI with a remap!

If I were to get an ML I think I’d have a 420CDI with a remap!

Yes thats what im thinking, But then for me beg's the question, Why not a GL420 with a map and the extra seats, I'd like a 6.2 but keep hearing of all the horror stories, Dropping Valves, cam buckets, and headbolts. :(

Yea I’d be looking at the gl420 if I was you. Mine would have to be black all over with tints!!!!

Maybe bud, if i did get one prefer a Gold or Silver, As it would be sitting outside, Wont fit in my Garage lolol

I also looked at the ML63, one of the later ones (2010) but not the much later larger version (bigger and uglier) if that makes sense. I also looked into the VW Touareg V10 t/t diesel and the Audi Q7 with the V12 twin turbo diesel and decided that I'd probably opt for that, may be worth looking into these other powerful SUV's too

No bud theres a place in Dartford that do 7 seat conversions buddy :)

And yes that one in the link looks lovely. :)

No bud theres a place in Dartford that do 7 seat conversions buddy :)

And yes that one in the link looks lovely. :)
Then a nice ml63 will do you brilliantly lol :p

Sorry BIRMA i'm a Merc fan only bud, cant stand VAG vehicles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom