ML63 W166 Help & Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sunny_amg

Car
S55K AMG
Hello All,

In the market for a low mileage example W166 and ready to buy very soon. My question is that this has the ECO mode and the engines cut out at traffic lights and start up when needed.

Does this affect the longevity of the turbos as its good practice to spool turbos down before the engine shuts down?

Any help would be appreciated and if you feel generous, what else other than the standard gremlins should i look out for on the M157?

Many thanks in advance to all :)

Hello All,

In the market for a low mileage example W166 and ready to buy very soon. My question is that this has the ECO mode and the engines cut out at traffic lights and start up when needed.

Does this affect the longevity of the turbos as its good practice to spool turbos down before the engine shuts down?

Any help would be appreciated and if you feel generous, what else other than the standard gremlins should i look out for on the M157?

I wouldn’t worry, the engine won’t switch off unless it’s safe to do so. There’s a list of things to looks out for but older cars are affected by more items on the list. Which year(s) are you looking at?

Hi Bobby,

Looking at a 2014 at the moment and its got 39K on the clock. Anything in specific to look out for? All your help is very much appreciated!

Hi Bobby,

Looking at a 2014 at the moment and its got 39K on the clock. Anything in specific to look out for? All your help is very much appreciated!
Did you get it?

Haven't seen any other W166 ML63s since getting mine so other than the odd few appearing on auto trader would be good to know someone else on the forum with one!

I got lucky with mine with only 17k on the clock so low mileage ones are def out there!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hello All,

You should try and go for a performance pack 1 if you can, extremely rare come with 550bhp compared to 518bhp absolutely amazing machine's suprised many cars with such an amazing turn of speed.

You should try and go for a performance pack 1 if you can, extremely rare come with 550bhp compared to 518bhp absolutely amazing machine's suprised many cars with such an amazing turn of speed.
Finding one can be difficult though.

Or just buy standard model for £5k less and get it chipped and paint the callipers red for under £1k, yes you won’t get the carbon engine cover but who cares!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or just buy standard model for £5k less and get it chipped and paint the callipers red for under £1k, yes you won’t get the carbon engine cover but who cares!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I guess it's horses for courses, i don't like having my vehicles chipped up unless it's brabus you can void the manufacture warranty if the car has it. also it can be a nightmare when you come to sell it on some people/dealers wont touch a modified vehicle. I know of a c63s which has had a remap and downpipes and the chap can't give it away. It's a bit like buying a rolex and then putting aftermarket diamonds on it the value of the watch normally goes down not up.
It's not only the carbon engine cover which is a £1500 option on its own, but the disc/pads are different, alacantara wheel,upgraded power and calipers.It's a bit like the c63 w204 that came with the performance packs seem to be holding extreamly good money compared to a non pp car that has been modified or chipped.

I guess it's horses for courses, i don't like having my vehicles chipped up unless it's brabus you can void the manufacture warranty if the car has it. also it can be a nightmare when you come to sell it on some people/dealers wont touch a modified vehicle. I know of a c63s which has had a remap and downpipes and the chap can't give it away. It's a bit like buying a rolex and then putting aftermarket diamonds on it the value of the watch normally goes down not up.
It's not only the carbon engine cover which is a £1500 option on its own, but the disc/pads are different, alacantara wheel,upgraded power and calipers.It's a bit like the c63 w204 that came with the performance packs seem to be holding extreamly good money compared to a non pp car that has been modified or chipped.
Not sure where you got your info but performance pack adds 32bhp red painted calipers (no difference to either discs or pads) engine cover (which no-one other than than the mechanic sees [emoji12]) and a different steering wheel

Quote from Mercedes media site at time of release:

"AMG Performance package with increase in power of 24 kW (32 hp) and 60 Newton metres more torque, AMG engine cover in high-quality real carbon, AMG Performance steering wheel in nappa leather/DINAMICA, callipers in red painted finish"

As you would likely have to declare the performance pack to your insurance and anyone buying the car later probably wouldn't worry whether the power was increased at factory or later or the calipers painted later I still maintain, personal opinion, that the extra £6k is never in a million years worth paying and looking at the two 'performance pack W166s' on auto trader for the last 4 months without selling I suspect I am not the only one who thinks that but as you say its your choice and money of course

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not sure where you got your info but performance pack adds 32bhp red painted calipers (no difference to either discs or pads) engine cover (which no-one other than than the mechanic sees [emoji12]) and a different steering wheel

Quote from Mercedes media site at time of release:

"AMG Performance package with increase in power of 24 kW (32 hp) and 60 Newton metres more torque, AMG engine cover in high-quality real carbon, AMG Performance steering wheel in nappa leather/DINAMICA, callipers in red painted finish"

As you would likely have to declare the performance pack to your insurance and anyone buying the car later probably wouldn't worry whether the power was increased at factory or later or the calipers painted later I still maintain, personal opinion, that the extra £6k is never in a million years worth paying and looking at the two 'performance pack W166s' on auto trader for the last 4 months without selling I suspect I am not the only one who thinks that but as you say its your choice and money of course

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
The carbon cover was standard in the pp at launch but the later cars it became an option of £1495 i think they were 14 or 64 reg they became optional. I never had to inform my insurance that my car had a pp on it but if my ml had been chipped or modified i would've had to tell them. We are all different some people see the value in something and some don't i've had a non pp and i've had a pp and i can tell you that they felt completly different in how they drive.

Thanks for all your input, still looking around for a great example sat the right price, the wife is picky and she wants the right color combo so. Its for her by the way..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom