ML63AMG what's it like to live with?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sparkynw

Car
BMW X4 335d MSport,MINI Countryman SD JCW, vivaro sport, nc30, cbr600rr
Always wanted an ML and whilst looking for a merc for a friend I've come across a very nice 63AMG with lovely extras. Whilst I love my CLA I've always wanted an ML and have been offered a good deal on mine. I know they won't be cheap to run. It's a 12 plate done 50k full MB history. I only do 5-6k a year so fuel doesn't really bother me. Any advice welcome.

12-plate, so this will be an M157 5.5 bi-turbo on a W166 platform, is it the same as the black one in this photo?

bobby-dazzler-albums-w166-ml63-amg-picture10216-two-generations-ml63-amg-side-side-w164-m156-w166-m157.jpg

Mazeballs. They really are fantastic. Anything specific you want to know?

Even if it's the M156 6.2 on a W164 platform, like the silver one in the photo, then it's still Mazeballs, just not quite as mazin as the M157 W166.

Yes same as the black one, it's white with a tobacco extended leather trim which is unusual and gorgeous. The mileage worries me a little as its out of warranty, are there any particular weak points? I'd probably buy warranty on it once the dealers 6 months wore off. Are there any things I should check for in the history? I've never driven a 63 I've driven the new GLE which is I'm sure very similar albeit I was in a diesel. My cla puts plenty smiles per miles in but I suspect I may prefer the height, comfort, luxury AND performance of the Ml63AMG.
Do they still handle reasonably well through twisties?

I wouldn't let the mileage put you off. It will drive like the GLE but will go and sound better. It handles better than it's size would suggest but it will never be a match for a sports car when it comes to handling. I really enjoy the combination of a big engine in an SUV, you'll either love it or you won't, give it a go and see :thumb:

Yes same as the black one, it's white with a tobacco extended leather trim which is unusual and gorgeous. The mileage worries me a little as its out of warranty, are there any particular weak points? I'd probably buy warranty on it once the dealers 6 months wore off. Are there any things I should check for in the history? I've never driven a 63 I've driven the new GLE which is I'm sure very similar albeit I was in a diesel. My cla puts plenty smiles per miles in but I suspect I may prefer the height, comfort, luxury AND performance of the Ml63AMG.
Do they still handle reasonably well through twisties?

Bullet proof really the m157 engine likes a bit of oil but that's it everything else seams to hold together pretty well.

C36fan said:
Bullet proof really the m157 engine likes a bit of oil but that's it everything else seams to hold together pretty well.

As my good friend said thirsty for oil but bullet proof. I put my m157 through loads of stick and it was as good as gold. Fill your boots...

I've got an E63 Biturbo and was given a courtesy GLE350d last month and since then I've been looking at the ML63 as a replacement. As soon as the time is right and I manage to find the right one the I'll make the move.

I'm going into Merc for a service on Monday and they have a 14 plate which I might arrange a test drive in to see if it's worth the swap.

Thanks. I had a gle 250 on order last summer but when we borrowed one it felt so underpowered after the 330d we had the wife wasn't impressed and said it would be too big n thirsty. We decided to get a car each and I ordered the cla. I personally loved the gle but knew I'd get earache over this and that so cancelled the order and let her pick her 2ltr mini. Looking at the car again last night there is younger models with less miles around for similar money. I'm going to take my time.

Take your time I can't see people rushing to by ML63's there's a a good few avail and the white ones seem slightly cheaper.

White are do seem cheaper. We almost bought a secondhand Designo White pearl with Designo White leather, and Designo wood - it had an incredible spec but was still cheaper than all but the most standard cars. Long story, but in hindsight, I'm glad we almost bought it. White on white is probably going to appeal to a limited number of buyers!

Spoke at length to an Indi dealer today who has good top end car experience, he only had positives for the ml63 other than fuel consumption. The experience is 'a special one' apparently. I'm sure most of the 'special' is that big v8!
Took the cla for a good thrash before and I'm going to keep it until it stops making me smile.

Spoke at length to an Indi dealer today who has good top end car experience, he only had positives for the ml63 other than fuel consumption. The experience is 'a special one' apparently. I'm sure most of the 'special' is that big v8!
Took the cla for a good thrash before and I'm going to keep it until it stops making me smile.

I concur, had the M156 powerplant and at full chat it was incredible revving to 7k. I came out of a 993 turbo straight into the '63 that is saying something.

Other than fuel consumption had no issues with it, didn't use much oil and was very good at heat management.

The ability to drop the hammer and keep it pinned in such a large vehicle while sounding like a motorbike at full chat is unforgettable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom