ML's and Snow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chord

Car
M3, SLK350
Hi,

friend of mine in Scotland is thinking of getting a 2009 ML and wants to know from other owners what they are like in the Snow, winter tyres would make a difference but it is most likely to be running on all weather tyres.

TIA

An ML in all weather tyres will be pretty good. Ground clearance will be ideal for really heavy snow fall, and decent all season tyres or winters will be brilliant.

As above but the only problem is being an ML it will be great when it's off road, but off road in an ML's case usually means sat in the dealers workshop :D

The last couple of winters my ML has been fine, getting traction, but the problem is try stopping a big heavy car, it still keeps sliding on non gritted compacted snow. :rolleyes:

The last couple of winters my ML has been fine, getting traction, but the problem is try stopping a big heavy car, it still keeps sliding on non gritted compacted snow. :rolleyes:

Not a problem so long as what you hit is lighter and smaller than you....like a walking pikey....

What tyres were fitted during your slide as a passenger in the driving seat Wobbly?

Not an ML I know but I put winter tyres on my Discovery 3 last winter and it was awesome. Absolutely recommended. I'd recommend an extra set of rims, smallest that will fit (18" or maybe 17", can someone confirm?) with the correct size / profile tyres. Narrow.

I'm keeping the Disco, and planning to add an ML to the stable, which will also be similarly equipped.

Need to bear in mind (as above) that it's a big heavy car and is still subject to the laws of physics...!

As above but the only problem is being an ML it will be great when it's off road, but off road in an ML's case usually means sat in the dealers workshop :D

Well my ML NEVER needed a workshop in five years trouble free motoring, except for two services. Brilliant car. (And that included towing an 1800 kg caravan, when it was rock solid)

(Take no notice of Steve, he is about the only one on this Forum who can't get on with 7G!!:bannana:. I think he must stick it in first and leave it there...!:bannana: I can never detect gear changes, neither in my C350, nor my previous ML.)
If flanaia was talking about an A5 I would concur. My neighbour's was in the workshop so often, they eventually had to give him a new one...
Snow? Never had a problem in the ML. Felt sound - but then again, it's the way you drive 'em, in it!! :)

Last edited:
Take no notice of Steve, he is about the only one on this Forum who can't get on with 7G!!:bannana:.

Agreed - those of us who appreciate the 7g 'box need to up our posts to counter the weight of Steve's posts criticising it :p :D

I've not had any issue with mine - always found it responsive and very smooth changing.

+1

Every car on the road has 4 wheel brakes :thumb:

A friend has a LR Defender, with mud & snow tyres, it drives as though the snow isn't really there! The right tyres make a big difference... as anyone who watches F1 should know.......

I got my ML last Oct and during the winter we had last year it was great.
Am getting a set of Continentals fitted this week for its MOT so wont bother with winter tyres.Wife likes driving from safety and visibility and isnt put off by discerning views from MCP,,,,,,,,,s
Am starting new job next month so will be giving up Company van and driving it full time
Reliability so far (touch wood) has been good compared to some of the plugs I have driven over the years
Could do with fuel tanker behind me
Cheers
:thumb:

Well my ML NEVER needed a workshop in five years trouble free motoring, except for two services. Brilliant car. (And that included towing an 1800 kg caravan, when it was rock solid)

(Take no notice of Steve, he is about the only one on this Forum who can't get on with 7G!!:bannana:. I think he must stick it in first and leave it there...!:bannana: I can never detect gear changes, neither in my C350, nor my previous ML.)

If flanaia was talking about an A5 I would concur. My neighbour's was in the workshop so often, they eventually had to give him a new one...
Snow? Never had a problem in the ML. Felt sound - but then again, it's the way you drive 'em, in it!! :)

The Dealer had my ML more than I did it was that bad and I agree with Steve the 7g box is a complete dog.

On the other hand now I am a partner in a Garage and MOT centre, ML's are always in with suspension failures, cat failures, gearbox problems (7g) If you have got long arms and deep pockets then go for it they certainly help keep us in business.

We run 2 x Land Rover Discoveries on all weather tyres both V8's one running on lpg, these are far superior vehicles to the ML they do have there problems but no where near as expensive to correct as an ML. If you are contemplating heavy snow then the ML is not the vehicle, last year we got one of our Disco's stuck in heavy snow on Holme Moss it was well snowed in, what did we use to go recover that? SWMBO Ford Explorer V8 you will never find a better vehicle than that as a 4x4 but you'll also struggle to find a V8 version in the UK.

In summary ML off road and in Snow, give it a miss All IMHO of course

Last edited:
My ML300 had the 7g and it was clunky, would change gear at inappropriate times.

But worse was the delay of drive when pulling out from a junction.

In all honesty, if your pal is looking at a 2009 ML and is worried about snow, there is only one suggestion.

Buy a Range Rover.

You would be better off on an A Class then an ML

In all honesty, if your pal is looking at a 2009 ML and is worried about snow, there is only one suggestion.

Here's another suggestion............

karhu-meta-skis-lg-1rohhy5.jpg

Buy a Range Rover.

Agreed, but it won't solve his "workshop" problem, will it?

I have to say that the ML's capability in snow was very low in my own priorities - probablty about 95th! But might be different for someone living in the frozen north!!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom