mmmm, SLC - very classy for £5k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've always loved the SLC, but whenever I've looked at one, they have always been riddled with horror rust issues, even on clean looking ones.

They go as follows, sills (get underneath and have a good prod at them), floor pans (lift carpets and look for water), door bottoms, wheel arches, Inner wings, plenum chamber used for cabin ventilation etc etc etc.

This one does look rather nice and they are great value for money if you can find a good one.

they have never been popular... spend a couple K more and you get an SL of that era... why would you have one unless you really wanted the rear space... and no one nowadays has one of these to use daily..

cheap retrim too..

That's in amazing condition!

I once read that due to their lack in popularity and lower prices, these cars are often not as well cared for as R107 SLs, and therefore many examples disappear due to rust taking hold.

It's fantastic to see that car looks almost pristine in the photos!
And that interior is beautiful (I don't think that's the standard leather trim though?)

Darren

Nearly 30 years of corrosion just waiting to erupt and empty your bank balance.

Just my opinion.....................

However, it does look (deceptively?) nice and worth the gamble.

Last edited:
Just rock up with a long screw driver and try to push it through every panel ;)

Thats what the buyer of my 205gti did...

Under no circumstances (alcohol fueled or otherwise) convince yourself or your other half that running an old classic car will be cheap, beat depreciation give you stress free motoring etc. etc.. ;)

Having said that, it looks very nice and if it floats your boat I'd buy it following the aforementioned screwdriver testing.

Ade

Here's an interesting one. If you go here:

http://www.karden.co.uk/stock/used car list/

you can see all the advert photos and when they were taken. The photos of the SLC are dated August 2007, meaning that he's had it on the forecourt for over 7 months now. I believe the trade term for that is a "landmark". He's probably sick of looking at it and should be ready to take an offer.. ;)

Cheers,

Gaz

They are easy to work on and often said the last of the DIY mercs, I would check out the bodywork with a paint thickness gauge

I've always had a weak spot for the SLC, they look great. :)

Go for one, just budget enough to get one in good condition and to keep it well maintained.

It's true that these old cars need continued love and care, so it's no good for a daily driver that needs excellent reliability, but it doesn't sound like that is what you're after.

Besides, now that you are buying that book that I suggested, you'll be able to deal with anything that comes along. :D

Sunroof? I cant see one and i dont think the roof is big enough to have a full slide roof?

I bet there's still some margin to be erroded with some negotiation on that car.

The SL does seem to be more popular, but it's the SLC that appeals to me of the two.

Good luck with the negotiations - start low!! ;)

mercedes_SLC_interior.jpg

is that floor rust by the footrest?

Sunroof? I cant see one and i dont think the roof is big enough to have a full slide roof?

Advert says there's one.

Aprils' ME has article on 280 SLC. Reiterates these are old cars not for day to day use, can have serious hidden rust and are very much an acquired taste.

Advert says there's one.

never trust advets, his adverts arent personally worded, he has just ticked a load of boxes... I have the autotrader system so know how it works and its easy to get the spec wrong as it pre ticks a lot of boxes based on reg number... not always accurate so i de click all the otptions and write my advert out for each and every car...

I think it might have the sunroof, the seller has more pics on his website:

mercedes_SLC_front.jpg

You can just about see the outline of the sunroof. Remember that on these cars the sunroof has no glass. The pictures sure could have been from a better angle :crazy:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom