Mmmmm....! Which Tailpipe...500E?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paddy@polyposta

Car
500E & RS4 B7
Now then, decisions, decisions. As you may have ready, my 1991 500E is currently getting lots of love, attention and mouth watering dribble from Ian at www.124works.com !

She's getting new bits including Green Cotton Air Filters, EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads, new air intake ducts/pipes, plugs etc and a B Service. Actually she's getting more attention from Ian;s admiring looks than anything else I reckon.

I am considering putting a full SS Exhaust System on her. I am not really looking to get more torque (although a few hp wouldn't be bad!!), but piece of mind that I have a good strong system down there which will also emphasis that wonderful 32 valve 8 cylinder rumble.....

I have spoken to Longlife Performance Centre in Leeds, as reccomended by JAYMANEK :rock:

They have explained their systems fully to me and they give a lifetime guarantee also. Here is a snippet of there info:

We are the people to supply and fit a Stainless Steel Exhaust to your Mercedes E500. All our systems come with a LIFETIME GUARANTEE so it is fit and forget. The combination of the quality grade stainless that we use (T304) and the full free flow system will transform the vehicle. Powermaster exhausts are Engineered for optimum exhilaration, our systems have a genuine performance edge, noticeable power gains, sounds that are truly awesome, styled looks that are aggressive but discrete and a feeling of truly exhilaration.With over 20 years of continuous exhaust development and technical expertise,Longlife Powermaster is placed at the forefront of tuning companies and owners must have lists.

The cost for a custom British built T304 stainless cat back system, together with mirror polished tailpipes would be £789 including vat, including fitting and is guaranteed for life.

The system comes with a choice of 15 different tailpipes from 2”to 5” oval round and slash cut ,We have over 87 other tail pipe designs to choose from if you fancy something designer, such as jap-style, blue flame, twins, acoustics and letterbox styles. Unlike other fabricators our tail pipes are not pre welded to the rear silencer which gives you the ultimate flexibility in your choice of style of tail pipe and also allows you to choose the sound that you want from the car. These can be viewed at tailpipes.co.uk .

Hand-building and fitting your custom made system takes approximately 5 hours (around 2 for a back box only) by appointment at our Leeds centre. We have courtesy vehicles which you are quite welcome to use so that you can nip off and do other things whilst we attend to your car.

Because all of our systems are hand made and custom built on site , you are able to tell us how you would like the car to sound, anywhere from quiet to full sport. The most popular choice is Mild Sport, which gives a slight note when you open the accelerator, yet without being intrusive.

The benefits of a Longlife Stainless Steel Exhaust include improved engine performance and greater fuel economy. This is achieved by fabricating all our exhaust systems on a full free flow principle which means that your engine operates more efficiently. You will immediately notice an increase of around 15 BHP and 10% MPG and the car will have more torque making it more responsive at bottom end revs.

When you arrive, before work commences, you will be talked through the system design and fitment. You will also be given a choice of sound, from quiet to sporty, or somewhere in between. We can also ‘offer up’ a selection of tail pipe designs to your car to help you make your choice.

After our work is completed the exhaust will undergo a thorough 12 point quality check, to make sure it is clean, there are no leaks, and the fit is perfect, it will then be tested for sound. Don't forget our exhausts are guaranteed for life and are made with only British and Italian T304 non Magnetic 2mm wall thickness Stainless Steel , so you can truly fit it and forget it, unlike other systems built from lower quality imported t409 stainless from China or Korea. It’s the difference between Gold and Gold Plated.

Sounds good yeah!!

Trouble is, which tailpipe would look best guys and does anyone have any further reccomendations or tweeks for what they might suggest?

Pictures of some of the tailpipes below, suggestions of which one you think would look best on a post to Paddy please :)

I quite like the third in top right

Link here:

http://www1.snapfish.co.uk/launchsl...SCRIBER_NAME=SNAPFISH/EntryIDX=1/t_=106397261

Try this link also

Last edited:
Paddy

Do like the Barry Boyz and just cut both ends off the catering size tin of beans!:D

Seriously, too many to see properly but i think i would be tempted by a subtle twin pipe myself

Hello

Its impossible to tell form that picture, I woudl choose a sensible sized twin and hold it against the back of the car to see what it looks like.

Better still get someone esle to hold it and you stand back and think is that a nice view for everyone behind me :)

These things are just personal taste... personally i would go for a mid sized oval tip... rectangulars also look good on the W124/W126 due to the angular lines of the car...

best thing to do is take the car in and ask them to hold a couple on the car and see what it looks like...

I would go twin rectangular , like the AMG back boxes of that period ...

Have the bottoms of the rectangles cut so they sweep backwards ...

Not like the Barry DTM tailpipes ;)

Bear in mind that the guarantee for life means that you will probably have to "return to base" to get it repaired. If you aren't too far away from your fitting centre that's not a problem. What tends to happen with St/St systems are metal stress cracks or fractures rather than corrosion --obviously. Some folks feel they "ring" a bit compared to conventional mild steel systems but this tends to go away after a time. Deffo go for the correct "period look" as Howard suggests.

Hello

Its impossible to tell form that picture, I woudl choose a sensible sized twin and hold it against the back of the car to see what it looks like.

Better still get someone esle to hold it and you stand back and think is that a nice view for everyone behind me :)

of the pipes or the person;)

Hi I used Longlife in Plymouth and had a custom dual quad pipe system fitted their service was great and they really took their time in getting the sound i wanted. Moreover, as others have said they will hold the different selection of tailpipes up against the car for you to view. They have more tail pipes that are shown on the shelve in pic above. In fact the branch in Plymouth were so good they are fitting my Kleemann header and cat replacement for me today.

Good luck.

I used Longlife in Basingstoke to do the full system on a E class , very impressed with the service and products

I also went back there for some alterations on the exhaust on my fun car again they were really good and didnt charge much as all

Seeings as the tailpipe is purely cosmetic you just need to go through what you think looks good on the car

Keep it original, twin rectangular as Howard suggest, personally dont feel oval tail pipes suit a W124.

Keep it original, twin rectangular as Howard suggest, personally dont feel oval tail pipes suit a W124.

Totally agree with you and Howard, it has to be twin rectangles/squares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom