MO/Non MO Tyres - Confirmation at Last!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On another note, MB have not updated their manufacturer-approved tyre list in a number of years now, so most of the tyres on the list are now badly outdated (ContiPremiumContact 2 superceded by ContiPremiumContact 5, Dunlop Sport FastResponse superceded by Dunlop Sport BluResponse, etc). This is not great because one if faced with the choice of buying a non-MO tyre, or an outdated tyre model.

I managed to find MO1 labelled tyres for my 10yr old CLS55 without difficulty

No

As long as the tyres meet the speed and load rating stipulated by the manufacturer and are within the correct size range for the rim width as recommended by the tyre manufacturer.

Additionally, it you ask the tyre manufacturer, they will tell you that their (non-MO) tyres are suitable and safe to use with your car, which will make it very difficult for the insurer to win a court case (in the unlikely event that it actually gets to that).

I managed to find MO1 labelled tyres for my 10yr old CLS55 without difficulty

Yes, but my point was that chances are that it wouldn't be one of the latest tyre models... so customers' choice is restricted to older tyre models if they wish to buy MO tyres.

I think it's worth noting (sorry for coming late to this) that the OP is lucky to have Hughes of Beaconsfield as his local dealer as they are one of the few MB franchises to achieve a consistently high rating across the forums. Never used them myself - live in the wrong part of the country - but envy those who do.

Yes, but my point was that chances are that it wouldn't be one of the latest tyre models... so customers' choice is restricted to older tyre models if they wish to buy MO tyres.

The tyres I bought were the current offering from Michelin but I take your point, MB should be much more up to date in their recommendations.

Very true. I've just mailed them about this and am waiting for a reply. Goodyear 4seasons anyone? I don't think they come with MO, but the G1s (pesumably) are on the elderly list. (Replying to Markjay)

Last edited:

For my SL you can buy MO1 but it's PS2s etc not the latest ones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, are the older ones now not good? Are the current ones that much better? Better enough for the average driver to notice, driving on public roads?

So, are the older ones now not good? Are the current ones that much better? Better enough for the average driver to notice, driving on public roads?

Probably not, but older model of tyres are more difficult to get, thus limiting the choice somewhat if you want MO tyres.

Quieter for sure, look at the dB levels on new tyres like the new Goodyears compared to old MO1 rated PS2s. I have found much better grip and handling on these than the MO PZeros previously fitted though granted if you are not a "spirited" diver you may not notice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PZeros of any flavour, MO, MO1 or 'normal' are dire and I ditched mine in favour of Michelin PS3 MO1, so much better and for much longer too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom