MO/Non MO Tyres - Confirmation at Last!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From a Porsche perspective:

my Boxster needs N rated tyres (produced by Michelin, Pirelli etc). At the front, 235/35 19, the load index of an N rated tyre is 87Y. All non N rated tyres of the same size are at 91Y.

At the rear, it's 265/35 19. N rated load index is 94Y. All non N rated tyres are at 98Y.

Certainly in Porsche land, N rating does make a difference.

I was lead to believe MO tyres are those tyres from a production batch that meet MB's strict(er) performance criteria. All tyres are tested and the degree of run-out, imbalance circumferential deviation (possibly other metrics) marked by use of red, green and blue(?) bands around the tread. The distances between the bands and the offset from the centre of the tread denote the degree of deviation from the ideal. The better tyres are marked MO

according to my mate who was a regional manager for a well known tyre fitting company, the porsche 'n' marked tyres were the only ones his company enforced,

ie if a porsche driver wanted tyres, they said ooo they have to be marked 'n' or i think he actually said 'no',

however, for all other makes they were told to sel the best tyre for the customer,

ie if you look like you've got a plum up your ass and too much money, you got pushed for the top priced tyre,

however, the better deals were offered to the people who didnt look pedantic and or loaded.

this was due to the porsche tyres being optimised for the engine in the back, and associated stuff (suspension, loadings ect)

and yes i know not all porkers have the engine in the back.

My demands on tyres, is black, round and stops the car's bum scraping on the road :D

From a Porsche perspective:

my Boxster needs N rated tyres (produced by Michelin, Pirelli etc). At the front, 235/35 19, the load index of an N rated tyre is 87Y. All non N rated tyres of the same size are at 91Y.

At the rear, it's 265/35 19. N rated load index is 94Y. All non N rated tyres are at 98Y.

Certainly in Porsche land, N rating does make a difference.

Right, but...N tyres come in various versions, N0, N1, N2 etc.

This is where the MO falls apart - get a 6 or 7 year old MB and chances are you can't buy the same model of tyre as when the car was made (and almost certainly not when it was designed, which could easily be 2-3 years prior). How can the same MO tyre be "tuned" and ideally suited to a huge range of Mercedes vehicles?

Different makes and models of tyre are quite different in the characteristics - Bridgestone's are noted for being harsh, due to stiff sidewalls. Michelin Primacy HPs are much more compliant. Yet both are available marked MO.

Right, but...N tyres come in various versions, N0, N1, N2 etc.

This is where the MO falls apart - get a 6 or 7 year old MB and chances are you can't buy the same model of tyre as when the car was made (and almost certainly not when it was designed, which could easily be 2-3 years prior). How can the same MO tyre be "tuned" and ideally suited to a huge range of Mercedes vehicles?

Different makes and models of tyre are quite different in the characteristics - Bridgestone's are noted for being harsh, due to stiff sidewalls. Michelin Primacy HPs are much more compliant. Yet both are available marked MO.

Which is why the explanation put forward in post #22 would seem more reasonable?

Bridgestone make a specific RE040 for the Mazda RX8, The tread on the rx8 version has less grooves and more slick parts than the standard tyres (ive had both versions fitted) . If they do this for a Mazda im sure they would also change them for more high performance cars porsche, mercedes etc.

I was lead to believe MO tyres are those tyres from a production batch that meet MB's strict(er) performance criteria. All tyres are tested and the degree of run-out, imbalance circumferential deviation (possibly other metrics) marked by use of red, green and blue(?) bands around the tread. The distances between the bands and the offset from the centre of the tread denote the degree of deviation from the ideal. The better tyres are marked MO

I noticed when I recently bought some Michelin Primacy MO tyres that none of them had any run out bands marked on the circumference.

Once fitted to the car they made the car track a lot better.

Adam

I noticed when I recently bought some Michelin Primacy MO tyres that none of them had any run out bands marked on the circumference.

Once fitted to the car they made the car track a lot better.

Adam

I think that the relevant question here would be if they were any different to non-MO tyres?

I think that the relevant question here would be if they were any different to non-MO tyres?

Yes you're right. It would be interesting to find out of non MO primacy have any runout bands.

I was comparing to my old set of kumhos that all had the band on the left and made the car pull terribly to the left. Being directional I could not swap them left to right.

Cheers

Adam

Having started this thread with a statement I thought may bring clarity to the subject, and then watched it unravel and start to span all makes and models, it's only right i come back with my eventual purchase and experience. Just for your ref.

Having hit the web and phones to checkout the various prices from fitters around me I came up with the following.

Conti Premiumcontact 2's 225/55/r16 x 2 - fully fitted.....

Best Indy - £139.00 per tyre (ranges from £140 - £155)
Best Franchise - £155 per tyre (ranges from £155 - £200!!!)

MO version, from same Indy - £160.00 Franchises - £160.00 ++++

On the off chance, and having been tipped off by another thread in this forum, i called my MB Dealer (Hughes - Beaconsfield). Quoted £149.00 for MO. Crikey - pleaseant surprise!

So I had two fitted there while supping on a nice coffee and watching bbc breakfast news (far better than a smelly 70's styled franchise waiting room with Jeremy Kyle on a cruddy tv) and the bill came to £289.00 for 2!! Not sure how or why i received a little discount and I'm not going to ask, but that's £144.50 each for MO. Better than any other quote for MO and almost as low and the lowest price I could find for non MO tyres (and i didn't even mention (or need to mention) price matching).

All in all very happy with with the service, price and tyres. Never thought I'd say that about main dealer tyres. Nice one MB.

So in summary - whether there's a difference in MO or Non MO tyres for my lowly non performance motor- I've got the best possible solution at a great price. Best of both worlds and piece of mind. Sweet.

Ha Ha Ha, I thought that when i submitted the first post! I'm not holding my breath....

So what you're saying is if you like nice biscuits, coffee and MO tyres; go to the main dealer.

If you want no biscuits and crappy coffee with your non-MO tyres; go anywhere else?

That seems to be how things turned out for me.

No biscuits at MB though. Mini cans of coke etc in the fridge, but way too early for fizz.

Maybe it's just me but I hate the oliy smelling waiting rooms with boxy blue modular chairs, classic car magazines on the coffee table and awful coffee machines they have the cheek to make you pay for - yuk yuk yuk. Of course, I'm referring to the franchise chains here, not the Indy's who have far smaller margins and capital to play with. I'm quite happy to get what i pay for there and they provide a teriffic and flexible service (an Indy services my car if you can't guess from that).

If I'm handing over several hundred pounds for something I'd like to feel my waiting area is more than just an afterthought. Afterall, I'm not covered in oi and dirt so why should I wait in an area that makes me feel like i am?

Snob - Moi? :-D

Quick question.... why not get four tyres while the going is good? It's always nice to have same make and model all around (even with staggered sizes)?

A good idea but the fronts have plenty of wear on them yet so no need to change right now.

Besides, I'll be doing myself out of an expensive free coffee if I only visit once :-D

Just to get things going again. My long awaited Winter tyres from Costco have not arrived I had ordered in June Michelin Primacy Alpins in MO. Now I am having the same debate.

It seems that 205/55 16 Michelin Primacy Alpins in MO were available last year this year they no longer make them in that size! They do not do any MO winter tyres in that size

The Michelin Website however says that the Michelin Alpins are fine. Called Mercedes they send me a list of "approved" tyres which was no help as they still think that the Michelin primacy alpins are available but Michelin has no intention of making them! Talked to MB customer service and they just said that they "recommend" MO but can not insist :crazy:

So it seems non-MO Michelin Alpins may be the only option as I have paid costco and got a great discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom