MO tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The issue isn't with MO. The issue is with OCD. And there's no known cure...

When I had the W203, I bought 4 identical ContiPremiumContact 2 MO tyres, all with the same manufacture date. A week later, the front right tyre had a puncture near the sidewall, and was replaced by an identical tyre, but with different manufacture date (same year, different week).

It bugged me every single day for the next 5 years..... 😱 :crazy: :D until they finally needed replacing and I got 4 new tyres all with the same manufacture date. Order has been restored.

Last edited:
The date thing is abit odd
My car had all 4 tyre's fitted by MB in jan 2021 rear tyre's sports Maxx M0 date 2020
Front conti SSR M0 dated 2018

The date thing is abit odd
My car had all 4 tyre's fitted by MB in jan 2021 rear tyre's sports Maxx M0 date 2020
Front conti SSR M0 dated 2018

Do you mean week 20 in 2020 and week 20 in 2018?

Also, do you have Conti runflats at the front and Dunlop non-runflats at the rear? Or are they all runflats?

None are run flats ,im not sure on week off the top of my head just the year's ie
Year 2020 rears
Year 2018 fronts

Yes I know how to read them I just don't know of the top of my head 🙂

Awesome, page 2 already over a simple “no” answer
We can’t be helped……
If you think this is bad, you should see the discussions on Porsche forums about tyres and N-codes :D

If you entered a classic MB in a concours competion, would you be marked down for not having MO-marked tyres, if that's what was fitted when new?

It might mean the difference between first and second place at the Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance 🙂

If you think this is bad, you should see the discussions on Porsche forums about tyres and N-codes :D
To be fair though the construction is quite different for N rated tyres. The shape of the shoulder is visibly very different to others which relatively speaking look similar (to each other).

If I remember right Porsche specify quite different tyre characteristics for tyres designed for the 911, to reflect the rear engine configuration, which leads to different weight distribution and handling characteristics to front engined cars.

You learn something new every day if that's the case it doesn't mention it on the tyres

Attachments

• IMG-20220215-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20220215-WA0003.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 14
To answer the original question, no there is no a problem to run two different 'brand' tyres of the same type of tyre on the same axle.

From one who has helped develop tyres for different tyre and car manufacturers, the same tyre can have a small number of tweaks from the original to suit the requirements of the vehicle manufacturer. They can include compound, construction, shape and tread depth, but only within a very small degree of the original tyre design.
You would need very carefully controlled tests to spot the differences, but as a total, they are preferred by the vehicle manufacturer to complement the qualities of their own products.
Unless you have a test track, stopwatch, sound meter, a very sensitive internal 'g' meter and prepared to run them for over 20K miles....then they will do the same job.

Except for those couple of letters on the sidewall.

Last edited:
You learn something new every day if that's the case it doesn't mention it on the tyres
The clue is in the name - ‘SSR’, but it should mention runflat in the small print on the tyre too :)

To answer the original question, no there is no a problem to run two different 'brand' tyres of the same type of tyre on the same axle.

From one who has helped develop tyres for different tyre and car manufacturers, the same tyre can have a small number of tweaks from the original to suit the requirements of the vehicle manufacturer. They can include compound, construction, shape and tread depth, but only within a very small degree of the original tyre design.
You would need very carefully controlled tests to spot the differences, but as a total, they are preferred by the vehicle manufacturer to complement the qualities of their own products.
Unless you have a test track, stopwatch, sound meter, a very sensitive internal 'g' meter and prepared to run them for over 20K miles....then they will do the same job.

Except for those couple of letters on the sidewall.
Hi , apart from your opening sentence I understand where you are coming from.

I can remember a few years ago that a motor programme was testing Premium , Mid range tyre and ditch finders.

From what I can remember in the wet braking test the best tyres where a mixture , part worn , re moulds and I new ditch finder.

Utter amazement but the mismatch tyres performed the best , so perhaps your opening line had some merrit to the content.

The clue is in the name - ‘SSR’, but it should mention runflat in the small print on the tyre too :)

As can be seen in your photo, the tyrewall has MOE stamped on it.

MOE stands for MO Extended, meaning it's runflat.

So the fronts are definitely runflats.

Are the rears runflats or non-runflats? Can you post a photo?

I haven't got a clear 1 if I recall it does say M0 ill check tomorrow

That's probably why it feels stiffer than the w204 I thought it would say though🙄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom