MO tyres or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know non MO tyres won’t cause drivetrain issues however I doubt Mercedes would agree if I had issues down the line. Most likely they’d try to wriggle out of any drivetrain warranty claim..

Currently my choices are PS4S from camskill - £520 plus fitting ( £560-580 all in )

bridgestone potenza S005 ( Audi A3 fitment ) £400 fitted from Costco.

most likely the Michelin’s
Mercedes do not specify that you use MO rated tyres and there is no legal basis for refusing a warranty claim on the vehicle because you chose to fit non MO labelled tyres

As stated previously, you are over thinking this.

Fit good quality tyres, forget about what brand etc you chose and enjoy the car.
👍

I know non MO tyres won’t cause drivetrain issues however I doubt Mercedes would agree if I had issues down the line. Most likely they’d try to wriggle out of any drivetrain warranty claim..

Currently my choices are PS4S from camskill - £520 plus fitting ( £560-580 all in )

bridgestone potenza S005 ( Audi A3 fitment ) £400 fitted from Costco.

most likely the Michelin’s
The Bridgestone potenza is a good tyre the wife has them on her Q2

No, they really wouldn't because it's not even a vaguely defendable argument for reasons that have already been made clear above. The MO/MOE ratings are a singular accreditation applicable to every passenger model that Mercedes have made for at least 2 decades, and every single tyre size variable for those (which often will be shared across significantly different models). Their list is often sufficiently out of date that it lists tyre models you can't even buy anymore. It's a position they knowingly would have zero hope of defending, so they're not even going to bother.

You are blowing this way out of proportion.

Last edited:

I am not aware of any instances where MB declined a warranty claim because the tyre fitted to the car weren't MO. I am not saying it never happened, but if it did it must have been very rare.

Especially given that many MB Approved Used cars are sold with non-MO tyres, and in fact some new cars were supplied from the factory with non-MO tyres (my previous W203 was).

Thanks everyone for the responses. Being too cautious I guess.

For what it is worth, my Estate came with Michelin and my wifes cab with Goodyear. We swap the tyres/wheels over each year (after putting the winters on) to even out the wear (and they are actually both wearing at the same rate). No real difference between the two, but possibly a tad better mpg with the Goodyear (like 1 mpg!). Both are rated the same on their tyre labels and 72db. Likely to try Pirelli next time around as these are rated at 68db.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom