MO UHP tyre failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastcar155

MB Enthusiast
Car
A fast car
Hi , Recently had my car MOT tested and the tyres were put down as an observation of tyre cracking.

The tyres are under three years old and have 5mm of tread left on them. (9000 miles)

I spoke to the tester who told me that that while the tyres are safe in normal conditions the car should not be driven quickly.

This was confirmed by two tyre companies.

It appears that cracking is not unheard of but on a UHP tyre !

These tyres are not cheap but have a potential life span of two years which is not satisfactory IMHO.

As this is the case I am considering purchasing ( only considering ) purchasing a less expensive tyre premium tyre.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

While some tyres are more susceptible to 'dry rot' than others, this is often associated with long period of stand-still coupled with exposure to the elements.

If you are happy that the car is in regular use, then choose a different brand, as you suggested. But if the car was stood for a long period of time, then this could be the cause.

It does seem odd that they have cracked after such a shot time. Budget tyres are a bit hit and miss. I have had some great ones and not so great. Some of the budgets will last long and grip very well, but the grip definitely deteriorates exponentially as they get lower on tread. Some I have been amazed at on how good they are for the price. when I consider budgets I do try to do some research before hand as it proves useful.

My recent experience of tyre woes was with a pair of Nankang AS-2 fitted to the wife's Audi. Both tyres manufactured within 6 months of each other according to the batch code. Yet both had started to split and crack where the tread join was from the manufacturing process. A large crack all the way across the tread, it was if I could peel the tread off the carcass of the tyre. Tyres were probably 2-3 years old tops and still had 3-4mm tread left.

I was horrified. I called Nankang to ask if there was an issue and to voice my concern about safety of others out there. They very very blasé about the subject and simply said oh yes we are aware of this issue and its been deemed not to be a safety issue so no action was taken. Wow I thought... they don't appear to be bothered.

I have replaced them with a pair of budget tyres by Rovelo. I have had these fitted many times and been very impressed with the grip and wear rate. Many will shoot me down in flames for using budgets but my experience has been a positive one over the last 10-15 years providing you buy wisely.

and what do you man by that ?
What he means is that the topic of tyres is often, and pretty much ad infinitum, discussed on the forum. You're not being got at, don't worry...

Reactions: HB
Have you checked the manufacturing date to make sure you were not sold 'old' tyres?

What he means is that the topic of tyres is often, and pretty much ad infinitum, discussed on the forum. You're not being got at, don't worry...
Than you Denis that’s exactly what I meant. Looks like you saved me from his annual purge list.

While some tyres are more susceptible to 'dry rot' than others, this is often associated with long period of stand-still coupled with exposure to the elements.
The lockdown periods have been perfect for causing premature deterioration of tyres.

Tyres that are regularly rolling and flexing cause the rubber to stay supple; leaving a car standing for weeks in sunlight - as happened to many of us last year - means the tyres get, for want of a better description, brittle and then the cracks occur once they start being flexed again in use.

Another cause of premature tyre degradation leading to cracking is the presence of ionised air caused by, for example, parking in an enclosed space adjacent to a chest freezer. Less common with cars as most UK domestic garages aren't big enough to contain both a car and a chest freezer, but surprisingly common with motorcycles that are laid up during winter months.

Hi , staying with OEM tyres
What tyres are fitted to you car?
Add the date code too please.

I once bought a brand new car, they tyres showed cracking within a few months, turned out the tyres were nearly three years old

Hi , no the tyres when fitted to my car were only a couple of months old.
But we are trying to explain that they tyres you bought could be old tyres, especially give the state of things over the last year or so due to lockdowns.
What date code is on your new tyres?

Another cause of premature tyre degradation leading to cracking is the presence of ionised air caused by, for example, parking in an enclosed space adjacent to a chest freezer. Less common with cars as most UK domestic garages aren't big enough to contain both a car and a chest freezer, but surprisingly common with motorcycles that are laid up during winter months.

I have heard of ozone damaging tyres but wasn't aware that a chest freezer was a potential source. My car and motorcycle are always parked in the garage which also contains a small chest freezer. Between the car and the bike I have tyres that are 7 years old without showing any obvious signs of aging. . My understanding is it's only electric motors with a commutator that produce ozone due to the sparks. What is it about a chest freezer that produces ozone, I thought the motor would be sealed inside the compressor casing.

My understanding is it's only electric motors with a commutator that produce ozone due to the sparks.
You’re correct. if the freezer motor isn’t causing ozone, its not an issue.

Another one.
Dying to know the outcome from another of these open ended threads..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom