Mobil 0W-40 Engine Oil - Different blends

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noogieman

MB Enthusiast
Car
I Loewe Old Skool AMG
For my car I always bought this oil for my W202 C43 AMG.
Mobil ONE 0W-40 oil.
Spec:
  • MB-Freigabe 229.3
  • MB-Freigabe 229.5

There's a new formula Mobil ONE ESP 0W-40
Bottle says: Maintains fuel economy.
Spec:
MB 229.31

Would the ESP formula be more suitable than the above oil?
ESP protects particle filters and cats.
The ESP oil is a bit more expensive than the other.

Would I gain any benefits buying ESP for my C43?

Last edited:
I should stick with original blend as I don't get much improvement?

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40​

I've heard several people claim Castrol Edge is a much better engine oil than Mobil ONE.
Would you change your oil to a different brand even if your engine had blood from Mobil it's entire life?

There's no risk getting engine issues going from Mobil to Castrol?

The main difference between most well known brands of oil is the amount of money they spend on advertising.

1657021820153.png

The old saying, going from mineral oil to synthetic oil could cause engine issues because the synthetic oil has better cleaning additives desolving gunk clogging oil canals.
This is correct or not?

In 5 litre container jugs Castrol Edge @ the price of €41.95 is actually €2,45 euros more expensive than Mobil ONE €39,50

I found genuine MB oil 5W-40 @ €29,95 eur for 5 litre container jug.
The specification is 229.5
What spec is recuiered for the M113 engines in C43 AMG?
Minimum 229.3 or 229.5?

Last edited:
What spec is recuiered for the M113 engines in C43 AMG?
Minimum 229.3 or 229.5?
229.5 👍🏼

Oil choice is always an emotive subject, and everyone always has their own go to option, and reasons for that decision.

Personally, I wouldn't put anything but Mobil 1 0w40 in an M113 AMG engine. It was the original factory fill choice, what we used in the dealer when they were current, and I've never known any drawbacks to make me want to discontinue it's use. If there are any oil leaks, it's due to perished seals or gaskets, not the oil.

229.5 👍🏼

Oil choice is always an emotive subject, and everyone always has their own go to option, and reasons for that decision.

Personally, I wouldn't put anything but Mobil 1 0w40 in an M113 AMG engine. It was the original factory fill choice, what we used in the dealer when they were current, and I've never known any drawbacks to make me want to discontinue it's use. If there are any oil leaks, it's due to perished seals or gaskets, not the oil.

You wouldn't recommend this 5W-40 oil for older cars?
I have no problems with my engine, I was thinking if a bit thicker oil maybe protects internal parts in a better way now that our cars are more than 20 years old?

Perhaps this is the 5W-40 oil $tealership use on servicing our cars?

Attachments

• MB Oil.jpg
    MB Oil.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 9
You wouldn't recommend this 5W-40 oil for older cars?
I have no problems with my engine, I was thinking if a bit thicker oil maybe protects internal parts in a better way now that our cars are more than 20 years old?

Perhaps this is the 5W-40 oil $tealership use on servicing our cars?
They're both 40W oils, so in normal circumstances they're the same viscosities, the 5w-40 is not thicker or thinner than 0w-40 apart from maybe in the middle of an extreme Swedish winter! But I know you don't drive your car then anyway. In real terms a 5w-40 is no thicker than 0w-40 apart from when it's really cold.

A thicker oil would be a 50W, but not recommended.

As for what the dealers use, as most are franchised, it depends what brand they are in bed with! Over the counter in the parts department they will supply the M-B branded stuff, but I know over here in the UK that different dealer workshops use Mobil, Petronas, Shell and Castrol to name a few.

Like I said in my earlier post, oil is an emotive subject. Ultimately, as long as it meets the 229.5 standard then just go with your own preference.

I always buy my oil from Germany, their prices are the best in EU for engine oil!
Genuine MB 5W-40 - 5L jug is actually €10 euro cheaper than a 5L jug of Mobil1 oil.
Which means it doesn't matter which one of the oils I buy.

In Sweden I can't even buy a 4L jug of Castrol or Mobile for the same price in Germany.
In Sweden 4L synthetic oil 0W-40 costs a whooping 1000SKR! :wallbash::eek:

Genuine MB oil is it Aral or Mobil, who's the supplier of oils?

0W-40 oils are better in the arctic area of Sweden, where it's very cold maybe 8 months a year where you can still freeze your @rse off? :eek:
Never been there and will probably never go there as I don't want my nuts to fall off! 🤣

Last edited:
I believe the Mercedes-Benz labelled oil is rebranded Petronas in Europe, but it's all a bit of a secret.

Petronas have their logo on MB F1 cars.
They must be their official supplier of engine oils.

I found this fully synthetic oil Petronas Syntium 3000E 5W-40.
On the bottle bottom label says: Designed for AMG Petronas

I think I will try the MB oil next time I purchase, more oil for less money.
A win-win situation. :thumb:

Petronas Syntium oil seen in the first photo is the same but rebranded MB oil seen in the 2nd photo.

Attachments

• MB Oil.jpg
    MB Oil.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Petronas 5W-40 Oil.jpg
    Petronas 5W-40 Oil.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Petronas have their logo on MB F1 cars.
They must be their official supplier of engine oils.

I found this fully synthetic oil Petronas Syntium 3000E 5W-40.
On the bottle bottom label says: Designed for AMG Petronas

I think I will try the MB oil next time I purchase, more oil for less money.
A win-win situation. :thumb:

Petronas Syntium oil seen in the first photo is the same but rebranded MB oil seen in the 2nd photo.
It seems to be market dependant who makes the oil; I think in the US it's Sinopec, possibly the Middle East & Asia too. Australasia is said to use Fuchs products. But yeah, Petronas seems to be the smart assumption for what's in the European bottles.

@ Gazwould.

That's certainly cheap oil for Audio cars :thumb:

I've started to use this after previously using Fuchs and MB own brand, so far so good but I only do around 5,000 miles between changes.
I managed to get 10 litres for £36.00 when it was on offer.
They also do a 0w 40 version that meets MB specs.

Did some window shopping on ebay today.
Noticed MB also have Petronas 0W-40 high performance oil for AMG cars.
This oil cost a bit more than Mobil 1 0W-40 oil.

Between the three oils, best price I found is for Mobil which I will stick with as I have always used it before.
Mobil 1 0W-40
MB 5W-40
MB 0W-40 HP AMG

Attachments

• Petronas AMG 0W-40 oil.jpg
    Petronas AMG 0W-40 oil.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 9
Hi , does anyone know if Shell 0W30 meets Mercedes APPROVED 229.5 in a Mercedes M276 petrol engine.

Sorry to put approved in capitals but approved means that MB have tested that oil in that engine rather than the wording conforms to that means have not been tested by MB.

Any help would be appreciated

Hi grober , thanks for your reply. I only noticed the change of oil spec on my car when I read the service paperwork.

Ths MB dealer only puts on the first Shell 0W and I resent them an email.

The reply was based as you say about emissions, improved MPG etc but I asked them to confirm that the Shell engine oil was approved to 229.5

Total silence !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom