Mobil 0W-40 Engine Oil - Different blends

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The only thing I would say with Mobil is that it breaks down quite quickly compared to many other oils.
On the Porsche forums many send off their oil when they change it to get an inspection to see how well it still works.

Mobil 1 is the oem Porsche recommended oil too, but most swap once out of warranty as it is pretty poor after a 4 or 5k miles or so.

Mannol is 1/4 price and does better, Motul is really good, Total is also good up to 10k or so, LIQUI-MOLY or Millers seems to be the oil of choice money no object.

I have Mobil 1 in my 996 at the moment, but I will not do more than 4k miles before dropping it. I would not put it in a car that saw 10-12k between changes after seeing all the analysis' of it.

Hi , does anyone know if Shell 0W30 meets Mercedes APPROVED 229.5 in a Mercedes M276 petrol engine.

Sorry to put approved in capitals but approved means that MB have tested that oil in that engine rather than the wording conforms to that means have not been tested by MB.

Any help would be appreciated
It's on the list

See HERE all the approved 229.5 oils.

https://www.acea.auto/files/2022-ACEA-oil-sequences-general-requirements.pdf
Mercedes won't test all these approved engine oils in their cars. Rather they will specify oils from manufacturers who have submitted their products for analysis in accredited laboratories and received certification to certain standards. I would suggest the major problem for folks to look out for are counterfeit products especially if bought online from unreliable supply chains-- they may even use bona fide containers and labelling-- reliable supply chains are your best bet whatever brand of engine oil you decide to go for.

MB Newcastle had a sale on and I bought 20 litres of ow40 from them. MB 229.5, and the label simply says 'Mercedes-AMGF High Performance Engine Oil'. The part number is A000 989 53 04 13 FCCE. I think I'll stick with that.

The only thing I would say with Mobil is that it breaks down quite quickly compared to many other oils.
On the Porsche forums many send off their oil when they change it to get an inspection to see how well it still works.

Mobil 1 is the oem Porsche recommended oil too, but most swap once out of warranty as it is pretty poor after a 4 or 5k miles or so.

Mannol is 1/4 price and does better, Motul is really good, Total is also good up to 10k or so, LIQUI-MOLY or Millers seems to be the oil of choice money no object.

I have Mobil 1 in my 996 at the moment, but I will not do more than 4k miles before dropping it. I would not put it in a car that saw 10-12k between changes after seeing all the analysis' of it.
Ah - ha! Evidence of evidence in an emotive discussion!

Is there any place where these inspections are listed or discussed. It would be really interesting to get a handle on what has happened to real oil in real cars, assuming there is context as well eg how hard its been driven.

I get 5 quarts of Mobil 1 0-40 at Walmart for $23 when it's on sale which makes it the best deal (better than amazon basics or any other brand). I don't think brand matters so much as long as it meets the correct certifications. What's more important is that you change it often. For me, I don't go over 7500 for oil changes on my gasoline cars or 6000 miles on my diesel cars (3000 miles if i'm using conventional oil). It's not worth it.

Opie Oils will do you 11 litres of Petronas Syntium 7000 0w-40 for £72 (after a 20% discount code) on eBay at the moment. Unsurprisingly it's MB 229.5 Approved, and (to keep Gazwould happy) also VW 502.00/505.00 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom