Mobil 1 0W-40

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bully2112

Car
CLS63 AMG
Hi Guys

Car told me the other day to top up with a Litre of oil at next refuel. MB tell me that i need Mobil 1 0W-40. So went to buy it when filling up at a Shell, and they only have Shell Helix. Anyone know which garages i can get mobil from rather than hae to go to Halfords??

Cheers Bully

If the Shell helix meets the MB spec it will be fine especially as a top up to existing oil.
assuming you have a petrol car then MOBIL 1 0W-40 meets ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, API SM;Approved: MB-Approval 229.5/229.3, VW 502 00/505 00, Vauxhall/Opel GM-LL-A-025/B-025, BMW Long-life 01, Porsche A40;
anything that meets 229.5 will be fine. EUROCARPARTS sell it I believe- tho not sure if they sell 1litre containers?

ps UNIPART OILS are made by FUCHS lubricants who are OEM to MERC They should be able to supply you with a litre of oil from their PRO S range that meets MB 229.5

Last edited:
I recently bought some Mobil 1 'New Life' 0w40 from Eurocarparts for an oil change. I had the filter from my local MB dealer and the parts guy there said that MB are currently recommending the use of and using the above oil in their workshop.

If you order online and pay in store from Eurocarparts and spend over £20 the MBClub30 discount works, so it might pay to buy 2 litres and keep one for future use. Their code for the 1 litre size is 521771852. You must order online to get the discount.
As The Don said Costco are cheaper, but I don't have an account with them and I'm not close to a Costco store.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies guys - great help.

With my office in Stoke poges i just did a google search of Mobil 1 stockist and theres one not far from me. Hughes in Farnham Common. At the moment they are doing 1 ltr bottles at £8.18 yet £55 for 5 ltrs. So if you live near slough, and want Mobil 1, this seems really good value.

Always buy my oils on line from Opie oils, always a good deal.

RR

If the Shell helix meets the MB spec it will be fine especially as a top up to existing oil.
assuming you have a petrol car then MOBIL 1 0W-40 meets ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, API SM;Approved: MB-Approval 229.5/229.3, VW 502 00/505 00, Vauxhall/Opel GM-LL-A-025/B-025, BMW Long-life 01, Porsche A40;
anything that meets 229.5 will be fine. EUROCARPARTS sell it I believe- tho not sure if they sell 1litre containers?

ps UNIPART OILS are made by FUCHS lubricants who are OEM to MERC They should be able to supply you with a litre of oil from their PRO S range that meets MB 229.5

Finally someone who knows the truth. Most people say Unipart? Just crap without knowing anything :thumb:

Not sure I agree with this anymore. I've ran the CLK on Mobil 1 since new and also bought a dipstick to check the oil level and not rely on the electronic system.

I've read quite a few posts on dash warnings stating "reduce oil level" and the usual advice of not filling up the top dipstick level to stop this happening.

My engine hold 6.5 litres and is always filled up to the top dipstick mark and I've never had this problem until recently. After a service by MB they filled it with Shell Helix, slightly shy of the full mark on the dipstick. First time on the m/way I get the reduce oil level warning, but the levels are fine. It appears that Shell Helix likes to froth up and confuse the electronic sensor. Since then, I replaced the oil with Mobil 1 and the warning has never appeared on the dash again. :thumb:

Russ

The MB dealer used Shell Helix Ultra in my car at the time with no ill-effects.

Said that, some cars seem to work better with some oil makes, my previous Vauxhall V6 was strangely happier with GM's semi-synth (made by Fuchs I was told) then with Mobil-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom