Mobil 1 fully synthetic £40 Kwik Fit !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petef

Car
Mercedes 200C
My friend has just had an oil change, Mobil 1, fully synthetic, £39.50 from Kwik Fit...oh and they stamped the service book for "oil change" section )...ASDA price.....you cant even buy the stuff for that, i think the manufacturers only sell it in 4 litre tubs which is very naughty really ..... :)

I remember years back when I had the Cosworth that my local tyre/exhaust place used to do it for a fiver.

It's just a chance to get your car up on the ramps and spot all those expensive bits that need changing. ;)

My local Kwik Fit quoted £38.95 including filter!! Incredible value.

I'm very tempted but I'm concerned that it will be a 17yo that does it, who cares much less than I do about my pride and joy. Not dissimilar to the dealer then!!

Anyone know how easy or difficult it is to get to the sump plug and oil filter on a C32 AMG? It's a bit cold & wet outside to scrabble underneath and look!!

seems a bit too cheap 2 me anyone hear of the dodgey Mobil 1 thats been going around latley...?

Si

If you buy anything in large enough quantities, you can get a hefty discount. I normally mail order 16 litres (4x4l cans) of Mobil1 0w-40 at a time, and pay about £105 plus delivery (approx £6.50 a litre, or £26 a can).

If you're ordering 50 gallons at a time, it gets pretty cheap. I would expect that Kwik-Fit just about cover their materials costs on each service, even with a filter change.

As plodd mentioned, even as a loss leader, it gets you in through the door and your car on the ramps. Then they can scratch their chins, suck in breath and point out all the things that "require attention" while it's up there having the oil changed, in the hope that you'll bite, and they can get some money out of you.

Superb bit of sales marketing, I'd say...

Last edited:
Bobby Dazzler said:
My local Kwik Fit quoted £38.95 including filter!! Incredible value.

Anyone know how easy or difficult it is to get to the sump plug and oil filter on a C32 AMG? It's a bit cold & wet outside to scrabble underneath and look!!

If its anything like the standard C Class its a pain in the ass, you have to remove the underpans, two of them and then take off the top plastic cover (this was on an '03 C 220).
The filter on the 220 is at the front top of the engine rather than the bottom. After that its plain sailing. think I'll go to Kwik fit.

Dave

Seems a good price. May even have to check it out in the new year for the 43. Think its all about perception. Maybe even snobbery! I drive a Mercedes surely it cant be that cheap??

I dont know its a bout value for money at the end of the day and a Mercedes fitter isn't really any better or caring than a Kwik Fit Fitter. Yes it depends on the individual but again it Mercedes playing on the name and the extortiante prices mean surely you must be getting what you pay for.

At the end of the day if you the Kwik fit is too good to be true you can always watch whilst they do it.

If you dont have them carry out the oil change will they just sell you the oil?

DolphiN Tech said:
If you buy anything in large enough quantities, you can get a hefty discount. I normally mail order 16 litres (4x4l cans) of Mobil1 0w-40 at a time, and pay about £105 plus delivery (approx £6.50 a litre, or £26 a can).

If you're ordering 50 gallons at a time, it gets pretty cheap. I would expect that Kwik-Fit just about cover their materials costs on each service, even with a filter change.

As plodd mentioned, even as a loss leader, it gets you in through the door and your car on the ramps. Then they can scratch their chins, suck in breath and point out all the things that "require attention" while it's up there having the oil changed, in the hope that you'll bite, and they can get some money out of you.

Superb bit of sales marketing, I'd say...
Where from? Please share your secrets! It's £38 for 4L or £12/L at halfords! ALthough I need the 15W-50 :confused:

I am definitely going to get mine done. You just have to make sure they put the proper stuff in and they dont get mixed up with semi synthetic.My friend actually went up to the guy who was doing the job and reminded him of what oil he should be putting in, and said to him "it will say fully synthetic on the bill of sale wont it " :rolleyes: I think the trick is as someone said...watch them from the viewing area... at least you can make sure all the old oil is drained out ;) ! If you leave it at a garage, (even mercedes ) you dont know whether they have let all the old oil drained out, especially if they are in a rush...and worse case, they could actually forget to do the oil !! ..it happens.......! :)
Happy New Year

petef said:
I am definitely going to get mine done. You just have to make sure they put the proper stuff in and they dont get mixed up with semi synthetic.My friend actually went up to the guy who was doing the job and reminded him of what oil he should be putting in, and said to him "it will say fully synthetic on the bill of sale wont it " :rolleyes: I think the trick is as someone said...watch them from the viewing area... at least you can make sure all the old oil is drained out ;) ! If you leave it at a garage, (even mercedes ) you dont know whether they have let all the old oil drained out, especially if they are in a rush...and worse case, they could actually forget to do the oil !! ..it happens.......! :)
Happy New Year

mercedes suck it out .....

DolphiN Tech said:

Apparently it's hugely cheaper if you have the ability to buy it in France.
In the US this year, Mobil 1 was around $25 in Walmarts and that was for 5 US Quarts (just under 5Litres). I wanted to bring some home with me!

I feel a group buy coming on....

Can't help but feel that kwikFit will be using rebadged lawnmower oil instead of Mobil 1, with the staff taking home all the genuine stuff. :crazy:

Rory said:
Apparently it's hugely cheaper if you have the ability to buy it in France.
In the US this year, Mobil 1 was around $25 in Walmarts and that was for 5 US Quarts (just under 5Litres). I wanted to bring some home with me!

It's pretty cheap at Costco although I didn't buy any as they don't supply the diesel specific version.

MangoMan said:
Mobil reccomends Mobil 1 0W/30 for my 300ce 12v. Is that right?

That sounds a bit thin to me.
Lower viscosity oils have been specified by manufacturers as a way of reducing fuel consumption but there is a downside, they don't offer the same level of protection for the bearings and sliding surfaces that a heavier viscosity oil will.

MangoMan said:
Mobil reccomends Mobil 1 0W/30 for my 300ce 12v. Is that right?

check your owners handbook but I think MB specify 5W/40 for most of the W124 engines

HTH

Andy

Dieselman said:
It's pretty cheap at Costco although I didn't buy any as they don't supply the diesel specific version.

Can you remember how much the petrol version of Mobil 1 was?

I really must find out where these Costco places are? Seen several references on here but yet to see one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom