Mobil 1 New Life.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CHRISCHANCE

Car
ML55 AMG
Hi guys, I'm new here and my (new) 2002 ML55 AMG is coming tomorrow.
I have always done my own oil and filter changes; engine, diff, gearbox etc., and I will be changing the engine oil and filter first. The recommended oil is Mobil ! New Life 0w-40, but because the car has done 90k miles I'm wondering if a 10w-40 would be best?
What do you think?
Best,
Chris.

Enjoy your new car in good health !

Oil , no expert but in my 55 Mercedes have always serviced it from new and used shell helix 5w-30w . Rather than 0-40.

Marc

Both excellent oils AFAIK and down to personal choice at the end of the day.
I changed my oil and filter a couple of months back and bought the filter from the dealers, while there I asked the parts guy which oil was recommended and he said Mercedes were recommending Mobil 1 New Life 0w 40 for use in all services they did, both petrol and diesel.

I also checked on the Mobil 'Which Oil For My Car' website, which actually returned Mobil Turbo Diesel for my car, with an also recommended listing of Mobil 1 New Life.
Now being a member here, I realised that it would be cheaper at EuroCarParts with the club discount (MBClub30 or MBClub25 when they don't have other discounted promotions on oils). I asked the question of why don't they stock Mobil Turbo Diesel and their tech guy said that New Life exceeds the spec of Turbo Diesel, so that's what I put in mine.

If you're thinking of buying from EuroCarParts, it has to be an online transaction to qualify for the club discount.
Mine has done just over 80,000 miles.

Last edited:
I would probabbly suggest a 5W40 oil grade in between the 2 and MB approved.

mercedes have a deal with Petronas now - how does mobil1 fit now he asks, tounge in cheek?

As long as the oil meets your Merc's spec, then use it. why chuck money away?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom