Mobile networks - anyone use "3"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jukie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MY11 E350 CDi Avantgarde
Can anyone comment on the "3" network?

I'm looking at a personal moby (I have a work-provided one already) and 3 seem to offer an awful lot of "free" minutes compared to other networks.

Any comments gratefully received.

TIA, David

Not too bad, better than they were 12 months ago. Dont seem to have the problems of calls dropping anymore although the handsets are still pants

Bad points=

-You can only get reception if your in space.

-Handsets are huge

Hi,
I worked on some of the systems in 3 when they were building the network and launching. (I believe that they are in the process of removing parts of the end to end solution that did not meet production levels of service thus the network is getting more stable :) ) The main problem for the network is the fact that the 2G part of the solution is roaming on the O2 network :( call quality is great in 3g areas but fair to very poor in 2G I find that notification of voicemails can be sporadic at the best of times some times days to get them :eek: If you are on a call and you move from a 3g to a 2g network then your call will drop. Its not 3s fault its a GSM thing (O2)

Handsets are truly awful I have a Motorola A925 Its a brick and it keeps rebooting itself. They do not replace faulty phones you have to send it away for repair and borrow a loan phone :( (I am used to Orange and the fact that when you drop your phone in a pint of beer on a night out a new one is on your door step the next morning to greet the hangover :D )

3 took the monumentally stupid approach of limiting Wap browsing to their network only this means that the opportunity to use the mobile as a wireless modem was lost :mad: as a result they spent 100s of millions on a system to bring you a few thumbnails of naked girls, while vodafone have a card that you could use to surf the web ...

Media content is a good gimmick but lasted about 10 minutes for me. I am told that the LG phones are the ones to get if you have to. But given that Orange and Vodafone are launching 3G now and they will have Nokia units and the benifit of a better 2G network I would give 3 a miss no matter how good the free minutes are...

The call centers in are in india, and when they started they were great. Polite good at their job etc but a year on from all the abuse customers have dished out to them, they are just as rude as they would have been if they were back in the UK :rolleyes:

I am very sorry to say that I will be dumping my contract 6 months early after Christmas on the basis of :
Crap handset :(
Never in 3G range :(
When I am in range I cant use it to surf the internet/ get send email :(

These opinions are entirely my own findings, and you might like the network but don't swap purely for the minutes...

Best regards,

Peter

peterchurch said:
3 took the monumentally stupid approach of limiting Wap browsing to their network only this means that the opportunity to use the mobile as a wireless modem was lost :mad: as a result they spent 100s of millions on a system to bring you a few thumbnails of naked girls, while vodafone have a card that you could use to surf the web ...

Media content is a good gimmick but lasted about 10 minutes for me. I am told that the LG phones are the ones to get if you have to. But given that Orange and Vodafone are launching 3G now and they will have Nokia units and the benifit of a better 2G network I would give 3 a miss no matter how good the free minutes are...

The call centers in are in india, and when they started they were great. Polite good at their job etc but a year on from all the abuse customers have dished out to them, they are just as rude as they would have been if they were back in the UK :rolleyes:

I am very sorry to say that I will be dumping my contract 6 months early after Christmas on the basis of :
Crap handset :(
Never in 3G range :(
When I am in range I cant use it to surf the internet/ get send email :(

These opinions are entirely my own findings, and you might like the network but don't swap purely for the minutes...

Best regards,

Peter

I totally Agree , talking to the callcenre in India is like talking to a brick wall ..... ahh well

Having said that about the handsets , i was playing with a Motorola A1000 last night and was quite impressed :eek:

I was on 3. I had the A920 which you could lock permanently on O2 so I had reception everywhere!

Anyway my contract ended in September and I was actually in credit - I am still getting billed to this date.

The 3 call centre in India is SH*T and disapointing.

anyway DONT DO IT!

Thank you one and all. My works phone is on O2 so I will probably go for a different network. How do we feel about Vodafone, Orange & T-Mobile?

Vodafone is utterly reliable as far as coverage goes - have used all the networks now, and its far and away the best.

Closely followed by Orange.

Wouldn't use T-Mobile again.

Have got 2 personal phones on 3 at the moment, and although the offer was so good that they are almost paying me to use the service, I echo everything that has been said above - they will be dumped at the end of the contract in February.

S.

No problems from O2 I find the online tarriffs to be of good value.

Never been on Vodafone or Orange so cant comment there but O2 service is usually quite good whenever I have needed it. Will probably shop around the when the contract runs out next summer.

Im on 3 and so far had no problems. As for handset size, dont understand this as i got an LG8100, small light, all the toys and quite efficient.

I've just cancelled all our company '3' phones and migrated the numbers to O2. The handsets were terrible, and the calls dropped frequestly where I live/work, as well as calls going straight to voicemail when the phone was switched on and in good signal! (That was the most annoying part).

I have had two O2 phones for years and I am fully satisfied . Reception at my home used to be rubbish, dropped out as I came up the drive?? But they have put in additional masts and all is OK now. :rock:

Hmmmm.....I've never had a had a problem with 3. Reception has been fine when I travel around the country and for value for money its been unbeatable....running my own business I need as many free minutes as possible, and on my current tarrif I get 800 minutes for £25 per month.

Granted handsets are rubbish, although I can only assume that they will get better with more networks coming onto the 3G band width.

My current handset is a wierd looking Nokia......which I went for as its the lightest and easiest to put in your pockets

My girlfriend is on "3" and she just doesnt bother with the call centre, she cannot understand what they say as they speak to quick then get annoyed when you ask them to repeat it all again.

She did get a new replacement phone when she kicked up a fuss in the shop when it was full!!!!

She lives in Faversham, Kent and asked why the assistant in "The Link" shop didnt tell her there's hardly any reception in her area.

She also has call's dropping out all the time.

I've been with O2 and rarely have any problems.

Vodafone are expencive , but are fab :) Can't fault them at all..

and they support multi sim ... yay :bannana:

Vodafone.

Not sure if its anything to go by but the company I work for seem to always be getting emails sent round with Vodafone realted problems. If it was anything to serious I would imagine they wouldnt use them though (RMC PLC).

I am on 3 but not when my contract is up. The phones are pants. they are allegedly Bluetooth but you cant pair a bluetooth headset with the phone as it keeps losing the headset. Roll on March when I can change. Anyone know of a mobile that is Bluetooth with no camera, all I want is a decent phone.

smartbrabus said:
6310 or 6310i... but I am slightly biased[/QUOTE

Fail to understand why they stopped making this phone without a direct replacement. OK no gimmicks but so what? Triband, Bluetooth, works very well any where in the world (OK not Japan), battery life is great.

My company switched from O2 to Vodayuk recently and part of the deal was that we could keep our old 6310i' s or could get a free swap for a newer, "better" model.

Most people (heavy mobile users all) would not part with their 6310i' s

Direct replacement for these phones was the 6610 from memory. Not sure it holds up like the unbreakable 62xx63xx series. I remember someone even made a 6 week battery for those monsters!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom