Mobile police unit... Talivan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Koolvin

Administrator
Staff member
Car
W168, W169 & S202
Mobile police unit...

I saw a Van on the A4 this morning (Tan you may have seen it) it was a police van with decals on the side sumin like Mobile Police ....

on the way back from work I had forgot that it was there and trying to show 'boss' to a Vuaxhall omega I went past it at 47+.

It was a 40MPH zone. the back of the windows of the van had 2 big lenses on it, there were no flashes etc but I think I just landed myself 3 points :(

Dave, what was it I encountered?

Have a look at this page

I passwd one at speed on the A55 in north wales about a year ago, and thank god never heard anything about it! They have 14 days to give you 'Notice of Intended Prosecution' , keep your fingers crossed mate.....

YES, it was one of these:

van7.jpg

Koolvin.

You may be lucky, by the looks of the van in the picture its the guys that service the cameras, and they might just have been out doing just that.

You will know in less than 14 days!!

sorry to hear that if it was a flash dude..

What might ease the pain is the thought that somone blew one up with explosives not too long ago :bannana: :bannana:

Other than that , a tyre round the top , filled with petrol and set alight , is also another good way of eradicating the disease from the side of the road .:bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

yeah I wonder if its still there, maybee I can go round a estate and find some crack addicts and give them 50 quid to blow up the van? :bannana:

Originally posted by fuzzer
sorry to hear that if it was a flash dude..

What might ease the pain is the thought that somone blew one up with explosives not too long ago :bannana: :bannana:

Other than that , a tyre round the top , filled with petrol and set alight , is also another good way of eradicating the disease from the side of the road .:bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

You are not giving Glasgow a good name!

what can i say, ive seen it done to a red light camera .....

i believe a chain and a JCB is also quite effective:rolleyes:

"I saw a Van on the A4 this morning (Tan you may have seen it) it was a police van with decals on the side sumin like Mobile Police .... "

I didn't see it but someone in the office just said that its been there all week. Glad i didnt go that way or i'd get done for shaw.

These vans are appearing all over the place. A guy in the office suggested that it may just be tracking cars for anti terrorist reasons, as its on the road up to the Airport??

Hope you don't get any points m8.

Tan

Guys I always used to see these down on the Embankment if they are the ones with all the cameras on them. I believe the monitor the traffic in anterrism they were used alot when we had all the IRA bombs in London.
Regards
Ian

We have similiar vans around Northamptonshire, not your normal mobile safety camera van, much bigger vans that operate from the rear windows.

I saw a thing on the local news once saying that they were used for spotting stolen vehicles, they read the number plates and searched a database of stolen vehicles then sent out a patrol car to stop any they spotted. It might be something totally different down your way though.

Originally posted by jimmy
We have similiar vans around Northamptonshire, not your normal mobile safety camera van, much bigger vans that operate from the rear windows.

I saw a thing on the local news once saying that they were used for spotting stolen vehicles, they read the number plates and searched a database of stolen vehicles then sent out a patrol car to stop any they spotted. It might be something totally different down your way though.

Thats very big up your way Jimmy, they also link it to the cctv in Northampton, and have had major success with stolen vehicles, and the culprits, which i'm sure you'll all agree is a good thing.

All we have to do then is extole the virtues of the death penalty for car thieves to the magistrates, and maybe it will put the car thieves off.

Or am i living in cloud cukoo land :devil:

OMG, today at slough I saw a white transit, no decals no lights no nothing, it had riveted in side windows that had black tints and the rear doors the windows were folded up revealing 2 lenses!! WTF is going on?

I also saw another van with a side door opened on a flyover over the M4 on my way to slough! WTFFFF!!!!

I thinks this is all to do with anti terrorism measures

There has been one of those just off the M62 coming out of Liverpool, for some time now. It has the lenses in a discreet opening flap at the top of the rear doors.

It is marked up as 'Mobile CCTV Surveillance' and says something else on the side (can't recall the exact wording) to the effect that it is in direct contact with an Ops room.

It was there every day for the week of 27 Jan, exactly the same spot.

Koolvin

FWIW, although I've passed it at least 5 times, it has never set off the radar or laser alarms on the car - hope the one you passed is the same! :)

A lot of these vans are what is called ANPR. It is an automated scanning type jobby which reads the vehicle index, and sends a virtually instant report back to tell whether the vehicle is stolen, or has any reports (criminal offence, drive off type things type rather than anything else.) Also I believe DVLA use a similar thing for expired vehicle excise licence.

We operate them in Bristol, and I know that Northampton police are currently trialling them.

They are not the speeding type laser gun.

Hope it helps a bit.
Mike.

Thanks Mike,

Actually quite reassuring stuff!

It can get very depressing as a motorist; the most visible resources often appear to be aimed at road traffic as opposed to criminal (properly so-called) offenders.

Nice to know what is actually going on :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom