Mobile pre purchase investigation recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MOZ

Car
W163 ML270 Inspiration, Leon Cupra TDI
Hi Guy's,
I'm currently extremely interested in purchasing a ML270 for the family. I have been reading as much as possible on this and other Mercedes forums to gain as much knowledge and horror stories.
What I have read has both made me a bit more nervous but not put me off, but I am now looking at an 04 plate (for the galvanised body) and am aware of a number of common problems with this type (inlet manifold and stepper motor, injectors, rear springs, conductor plates etc.) I'm reasonably mechanically minded and am happy with a lot of DIY jobs but admit something like an inlet manifold change would be a bit nerve racking.

I have a few classifieds to follow up and have a look at but for the price of the vehicles would ideally want some outside advice to do a pre purchase check on it. Clearly there is the AA,RAC plus many others advertised on the internet but ideally I would want someone who knows more about Mercs and ML's in particular.

Is there anyone that does pre purchase inspections for these that one of you can recommend (ideally in the Yorkshire area- I know some cover a large area for extra cost).
I would normally be pretty happy with my own abilities and research to know what to look for and spot a potential money pit, but seeing the horror stories that some people have had with these I would feel a bit more confident having had someone who knows the marque better than me check it over. These tend to come with Automatic transmissions which I have no experience of at all so don't really know what signs of wear to look for, and when to know if there is a high range/low range issue.

if anyone could suggest some names I would be grateful, otherwise I may have to look at the AA (but I wasn't impressed with them the last time I used them for a pre purchase check 10 years ago, I found more wrong with the car than they did).
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
MOZ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom