Mobile Wi-Fi Abroad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian_Mac

Over the weekend the wife and I booked a week away in Zante.

Rather than get well and truly shafted by the mobile companies for using Internet abroad I'm looking into taking my own mobile WI-Fi device.

I've already got one of these http://www.store-3.co.uk/3-three-broadband-3-e586-mifi-mobile-wifi.html which I use while working away in this country.

All I do at the moment is buy a Three Sim off EBay every now and again which gives 3GB of data over 3 months costing approx £12.

Does anyone know of an equivalent sim I can buy which will work in Zante and where they can be purchased from?

I'd rather take a sim with me than start hunting round the shops once I get there.

Thanks

Why not just making do with logging on to the wifi network of the hotel you are staying in....that is likely to be free and no hassle.

Why not just making do with logging on to the wifi network of the hotel you are staying in....that is likely to be free and no hassle.

Hah" Hotels are the biggest rip off going. £10 a day is not unusual for wifi.

ETA talk to your mobile operator. I paid £3 a day to vodafone for Europe passport, and got the same call package including data. Therefore I did email from my phone only.

x332race said:

If there is free wi-fi in the room that will be a bonus. The hotels website is a tad unclear in that it says "free wi-fi (Internet surcharge)".

We stayed at the Radisson in Sharm a couple of years ago which was supposed to have wi-fi, to say it was hit or miss is being kind.

Those Vodafone sim cards could be just the ticket though, I feel a question coming on to the eBay seller.

Darrell said:
We offer free wi-fi and it costs our guests nothing at all, but then I suppose alot of members here know that. :wallbash:

Don't suppose you fancy opening a bar in Argassi in the next 4 weeks ;-)

So first of all you need to get your Three MiFi unlocked. If you don't do this, then the rest ain't going to work.

Once you get out there, pop into any mobile phone shop (there are loads where you are going) and tell the guy behind the counter that you need a PAYG SIM for mobile internet and he will sell you something suitable. Expect to pay no more that about €20 for something giving you about 1gb of data that will last for about a month.

I have started doing this on all trips now and it saves me a furtune.

It's always easier in countries that have T-mobile as they tend to have a tourist page in english on their website that lets you check out options before hand.

Greece will be easier as they tend to speak English but considering I managed to buy a PAYG SIM in Budapest earlier this year with 3gb of data for €15, where the people in the shop spoke no English and I spoke no Hungarian, anything is possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom