Mobility scooters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HR17

Car
A Merc.
I wondered whether anyone else has nearly[accidentally] killed a granny on a mobility scooter?

Driving to work this morning, an old dear shot through a give way(she was on the road not pavement), didn't even look in either direction, then crossed both lanes of traffic. While I momentarily stared in disbelief, after my emergency stop and a toot on the horn, she continued to drive into oncoming traffic. Talk about an accident waiting to happen!

I know there's been controversy over whether they should be insured or licenced, but in my eyes, the sooner they do it the better bfore someone like me needs to claim from them. I'm sure there'll be arguments from lefty types saying it will tax the poor, but for a pound or two per week it must be worth it.

I know it may seem a long way away for some people, but we will all grow old and we may be glad to have use of a mobility scooter ourselves...indeed, it may be our only means of getting out and about if we are invalided in some way by ill health etc.

I know some users of mobility scooters can be a bit of a menace, but we should try and be more tolerant and understanding of our elders....as I said, the only certain thing is we will all be there one day!

That said, some form of basic third party insurance may be appropriate but if we let other road users get away without such insurance (bicycle riders in particular) then we can't really insist on one group being insured and the other not IMHO.

Last edited:
I think they shouldn't be on the roads! they are to small and to slow! :ban:

If they go on the roads then I thought that they were classed as vehicles of some description and had to be road legal, registered, taxed(?) and insured.

Generally not a problem but one old boy travels between the two local villages right in the middle of a bendy road, causing a menace to both himself and other road users. The local police simply don't appear to be interested (several people I know have phoned about this because they are worried for his safety), they've got real criminals to catch such as speeding motorists. And, yes, there are no lights, registration or tax disc on his scooter - doesn't even wear a hi-vis vest.

They are a great thing for many people, but only in the right place

If you're ready for a long read there is a consultation document just published regarding mobility scooters. CLICK

There should be improvements to both the provision of advice to potential users when purchasing a vehicle, and training on its use; it is suggested that both could be best provided at the point of sale. It is also recommended that an agreed training programme should be developed, together with guidance on the type and content of advice to purchasers.

Class 2 and Class 3 vehicle users should be required to have third-party insurance.

Such research as is necessary should be undertaken to determine the design requirements for the safe carriage of a child on a vehicle. This research should also consider what the maximum age or size of the child should be. The development of vehicles designed to carry two persons (adults) should be kept under review, but no change in the regulations should be made at present.

Existing maximum speed limits of 4mph in pedestrian environments should remain.

Existing maximum speed limits for Class 3 vehicles should also be continued but should be kept under review.

Work should be started to devise a simple fitness to drive assessment, which should include an eyesight test, ability to control the vehicle and a measure of cognitive / judgment abilities.

Equipment requirements for Class 3 vehicles should remain as at present. Consideration should be given to requiring Class 2 vehicles to have comparable equipment if they are to be used on the road.

Current regulations on permitted users should remain, subject to consideration of the issue of cognitive impairment.

Road Traffic Act sections dealing with driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol and the use of mobile 'phones should be applied to Class 2 and 3 vehicles.

Research should be undertaken into the safety or otherwise of vehicles using cycle ways and bus lanes.

The exemption from Vehicle Excise Duty should continue, but the requirement to display a certificate and to register the vehicle should be re-examined. If no clear benefits can be shown, these requirements should be removed. If there are real benefits, the requirements should be enforced.

No action is recommended with respect to hybrid / petrol engine vehicles, although it is noted that there were safety concerns relating to the use of petrol-engine vehicles, particularly on pavements and in other pedestrian environments.

There may be a case for a new classification for "off-road" vehicles, but further consideration of what regulations should be applied to these vehicles is needed.

There should be definitive guidance made available that explains the distinction between 2-wheeled vehicles, including scooters and other largely recreational devices, and 3- and 4-wheeled Class 2 and 3 mobility vehicles.

An appropriate body (the British Healthcare Trades Association, for example) should assist buyers in researching best value for money, and in comparing the cost and standards of service of different outlets

I know it may seem a long way away for some people, but we will all grow old and we may be glad to have use of a mobility scooter ourselves...indeed, it may be our only means of getting out and about if we are invalided in some way by ill health etc.

I know some users of mobility scooters can be a bit of a menace, but we should try and be more tolerant and understanding of our elders....as I said, the only certain thing is we will all be there one day!

That said, some form of basic third party insurance may be appropriate but if we let other road users get away without such insurance (bicycle riders in particular) then we can't really insist on one group being insured and the other not IMHO.

I have every sympathy for the people who use these, but think that some of them are too incapable, either mentaly or physically, of using them safely.

I've actually been hit by one driven in a supermarket, fortunately while it was barely moving, but they're big heavy things when they contact a soft fleshy body, and it sent me flying and hurt like hell. The 'driver' ignored me. Not a word of apology. Probably wasn't even aware that he'd hit me.

I'm sure plenty of these things are involved in accidents on a regular basis.

I might have to start using them for target practice, much as I use militant cyclists and chavs.:thumb::thumb:

I have every sympathy for the people who use these, but think that some of them are too incapable, either mentaly or physically, of using them safely.

I've actually been hit by one driven in a supermarket, fortunately while it was barely moving, but they're big heavy things when they contact a soft fleshy body, and it sent me flying and hurt like hell. The 'driver' ignored me. Not a word of apology. Probably wasn't even aware that he'd hit me.

I'm sure plenty of these things are involved in accidents on a regular basis.

I might have to start using them for target practice, much as I use militant cyclists and chavs.:thumb::thumb:

Well, I have to agree with you there....

My Aunt was conned into paying £6,000 for one by a door-to-door salesman...she was really incapable of using it and we were all scared stiff she would go out on it....my mother (her sister) banned her from using it and I think my Father found some way of disabling it eventually.

OAP_on_the_A27_Westbound_PicEddie_Mitchell_Image_3_885637217.jpg

As i understand it, if a mobility scooter doesn't have lights & indicators then its not allowed to travel on the road.

+1.

I agree its a lifeline for a lot of older folk and without those scooters they'd probably not be able to leave the confines of their home. It gives them a degree of freedom and independance. But I think there should be some kind of system whereby a doctor examines them first to see if they are fit and able to drive then issues some kind of permission slip which they can then use to purchase or obtain a scooter. Hopefully it should reduce the number of people who get "confused" and end up driving down motorways - and its not just limited to elderly folk, rugby players too!

I've had a guy run over my foot with the front wheel in one of those scooters. It was very heavy and he was heavy as well. I let out a yelp, at which point he stopped the scooter on my foot - this time the rear tyre was stopped on my foot. Then proceeded to reverse off my foot and drive over it for a third time. :mad: I know he didn't do it deliberately, but I was not best pleased.

I was unable to move back much because there was a large crowd of people behind me.

and its not just limited to elderly folk, rugby players too!

The most recent rugby incident managed to achieve the Holy Grail of golf buggy driving.

Motorway. Traffic cone. Flashing orange light.

It doesn't get much better than that :thumb:

I know the hotel he took it from and the strech of the M4 he drove down. Its a good few miles of country road and motorway. Aside from a driving ban, they should give him a medal for endurance or persistence. He must have been absolutely hammered to have thought he'd get away with it.

I'm always surprised by the amount of these things on the road, can't be legal surely? Especially in the case of the picture a few posts up ;)

I have every sympathy for them - BUT - age isnt really the issue here - competence is.

If the person isn't competent to drive / ride any form of transport then they shouldn't be allowed. That includes bicycles and Alfies favourite - horses...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom