Mobilo assistance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Godfrey

Car
211 320cdi Elegance estate, Soon to be sold RR Vouge, Defender, Triumph Daytona and Thunderbird
Just had the motor go into limp home mode and having had to go somewhere did the round trip of 40 miles.
For the first 20 miles the engine diagnostic light did not come on (although there was little power) but after leaving my appointment the light did not go off on restarting the motor for the return trip.

Now I bought this car earlier in the year off a friend who had had it serviced on time so having read about the breakdown backup thought I'd try it rather than taking it to a local independent garage.

Just had Mercedes back on the phone to say that a local approved garage is on it's way to make an initial assessment and they will take it from there.:thumb:
Since I'm 50 miles away from both of the nearest Mercedes dealerships that seems fair enough.

Anything I should be wary of?

Mobilo will diagnose it and simple repairs they will do at the roadside otherwise get it trailered back to MB and get them to repair it.

Right, garage came out and turned off light. Supposedly an upstream oxygen sensor.

If the light comes back on and I'm back to square one, what happens? Does Mercedes cover the cost of the part and labour, or is it not as simple as that?

Is your car still under warranty?

Is your car still under warranty?

I presume so as it has Mobilo paperwork and been serviced on time by a MB dealership

My problem is that I don't know from the paperwork what is covered and if there are any costs?

Last edited:
Car has only done 32000 miles in six years.
Only bought the car from a deceased friends wife 3.5 months ago fully dealer serviced.
Is it true that as long as the car remains serviced by MB that the car is covered for parts and labour for up to 30 years?

Please excuse the multi posting as the internet connection up here is crap as have just lost a detailed post that took 15 minutes to write.

Any info on Mobilo gratefully recieved!

Last edited:
Mobilo is purely a Mercedes breakdown service. Unless the previous owner kept renewing the warranty your car will not be covered, the dealer is your first port of call.
Mobilo will assist for up to 30 years if dealer serviced during that time. The 30 year warranty is for anti rust, but this is to be taken with a very large amount of salt. I hope this helps.

Mobilo is purely a Mercedes breakdown service. The 30 year warranty is for anti rust, but this is to be taken with a very large amount of salt. I hope this helps.

it is the salt that is the problem, along with rather poor paintwork and body protection :D

Mobilo is purely a Mercedes breakdown service. Unless the previous owner kept renewing the warranty your car will not be covered, the dealer is your first port of call.
Mobilo will assist for up to 30 years if dealer serviced during that time. The 30 year warranty is for anti rust, but this is to be taken with a very large amount of salt. I hope this helps.

Ok, so all the cover (except for a dubious anti perforation warranty) is breakdown cover with all parts and labour costing the customer on top as per usual? And there was me thinking that they were that confident in their product:doh:

So I suppose with already having NCI cover that it is not really worth keeping up with a full dealer service stamp just to warrant having an extra breakdown cover?

mobilio will not pay for the part and replace it, as said above, theyy are a breakdown service, if you can still drive the car safely, they will ask you to book it into your local MB dealer.

if you know what it is and it happens again, then prob better to visit a local indi for the work

You can of course renew the warranty yourself. For peace of mind you would want the ' Tier 1 ' I have done this three times. The cost will depend on what car, miles, and service history. There will be varying views on the worth of this warranty. I can only speak from my own experience. The parts replaced and far exceeds the cost of the warranty. Last year a tad over £1000. That's for a CL600 bi turbo. The cover is available for cars with a milage less than 100,000 miles.

Thank you all for the great information and advice!:thumb:

Just one more thing to add....if dealer is fixing it mobilo means they give you a merc to drive around till they fix it, and this is no extra cost. Then again a dealer is always more expensive than an indy.
Kamal

You are correct in your assumptions. They arrange a loan car until your car is fixed.
In my case they arranged the collection of my car, and the delivery of a loan car. All within the same morning.

The ambiguity regarding free repairs are if the car can be repaired at the roadside then there are no charges for minor parts. A little vague.

The ambiguity regarding free repairs are if the car can be repaired at the roadside then there are no charges for minor parts. A little vague.

I would take that to mean maybe something like a fuse or two, no more.

The only time I've had to call on Mobilo was when my C43 conked out a couple of miles from home. I managed to limp it back, rang Mobilo to see if they'd trailer it to the dealer - some 25 miles away, the car wasn't getting there under its own steam.

They said they would try and fix it at home first, and sent a service van round (a Sprinter packed with spares and diagnostic kit). There wasn't any obvious fault, but the tech reckoned it was probably the crank position sensor and did I want him to fit a new one?

How much? I ask cautiously. £52, I think it was so I said go ahead. Car sparks up no problem, I never had another issue with it all the time I had it.

So, I had someone turn up, fix my car, and only charge me for the part (no labour, and I guess he was there over an hour). And if they hadn't been able to fix it on site, they'd have trailered the car to the dealer free of charge (probably the wrong side of £100 if I had to pay someone to do it).

This on a 7 year old car on it's 3rd owner, and simply because it had full manufacturer's service history. You don't get that from Ford as far as I know. It's service like that that makes the difference..

Cheers,

Gaz

Just one more thing to add....if dealer is fixing it mobilo means they give you a merc to drive around till they fix it, and this is no extra cost. Then again a dealer is always more expensive than an indy.
Kamal

That is handy to know as my nearest dealer is 50 miles away. nice to try something else in the current range too

You are correct in your assumptions. They arrange a loan car until your car is fixed.
In my case they arranged the collection of my car, and the delivery of a loan car. All within the same morning.

Mobilo were very thorough in making sure that the problem had been addressed promptly:thumb:

However I'm assuming that the problem may reoccur and only didn't take up the offer of a trip to the local approved independent garage as the tow truck operator didn't reckon on the length of the E class estate fitting onto the very small recovery trucks bed. I didn't fancy the possibility of damage on top of a small issue such as a sensor.

I think that I will be costing the MB warranty as I'm now a bit creaky to crawl around motors and with all the complex electrical gremlins now in motors may start using the services of a garage.

Thanks all again for the advice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom