Mobilo Life - Amazing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteveG_UK

Car
W221 S320CDI
I just have to post here to say what an astounding company Mercedes are with their Mobilo Life cover.
I've a 2006 W221 S320 CDI. Couple of weeks ago I got a nasty red warning 'Drive to workshop' - switched off - switched back on and everything seemed OK. Got home and rang dealers who said 'Might be OK - use it but if it happens again just ring Mercedes'. I didn't even realise Mobilo Life covered me (couldn't see it would since I'm the third owner, the car's 7½ years old and I haven't paid Mercedes a bean). But the dealer assured me I was covered since they'd serviced it.
Anyhow, couple of days ago it happened again - this time the car wouldn't start (even though message had cleared).
Called Mercedes, technician came out and spent over an hour running diags etc.
Along the way, the car could be started again! I'd only about 5 miles to go to get home - he said I should be OK but car has to go in for repairs.
Following day I ring dealers - ask if they've a courtesy car. They say no, but Mercedes will give one.
Ring Mercedes again - they'll supply me with a rental car for free - 'but it might not be an S-Class'. If they can't deliver to dealers in time for me to drive back in it - they'll pay my taxi fares! What???? All for free???
Anyhow, Europcar didn't have an S Class, best they could offer was an AMG E250.
It'll do! Initial rental is for a week - if repairs to mine take longer, they'll just extend the rental.
All this just for owning a Mercedes and having it serviced. I think it's incredible. Whether I'll be as happy with the repair bill and the response from Warranty Direct remains to be seen.
Why aren't Mercedes shouting about this cover in their sales promotions?

Steve
Unhappy about car breaking
Extremely happy about response from Mercedes
But desperately want my S Class back - didn't realise just what a gulf there was between the 'S' and the 'E'

It's a good service, but think about it.

Mercedes own the courtesy cars, managed by Europcar. They will sell them for more than they paid for them. = Profit
Mercedes recovery = Mercedes workshop doing the repairs. Profit on the labour and parts.
Mercedes Service = to keep Mobilo you have to have servicing done by MB. More profit.

It's a two way street...

But desperately want my S Class back - didn't realise just what a gulf there was between the 'S' and the 'E'

Tell us more of your thoughts on this. An S is more comfortable, but is handling compromised as a result?

Great to hear some good news Steve. Thanks for sharing. It's amazing the high proportion of negative comments on this Mercedes owners forum (thereby I would have thought populated by fans of Mercedes). But I guess that's life; we're all too ready to complain about things but rarely make the effort to hand out praise.

I agree with your comments (hadn't passed me by that Mercedes will supply the prestige cars to Europcar).
But, to keep this cover, I had major(ish) service at dealers a year last August - cost £400.
It's a two year service interval. I consider £200 a year for main dealer servicing (and the all important rubber stamp) a bargain.
And it still remains I paid Mercedes absolutely nothing. I'm not sure if repairs *have* to be done by main dealer - but whoever does it it'll (probably) need Mercedes parts. No different to any other manufacturer.
I've never heard of another manufacturer offering this kind of service (and didn't know Mercedes did until this happened.

Handling Dieselman?
Well, it's a limo - not a racing car.
But!!
I had a V12 XJS - appalling car. S320 handles way better than that.
Other V12/4 litre Jags & Daimlers - S320 wins hands down.
I had a Caterham Supersport - OK that handled better (what a surprise).
I've still got a '67 Elan that I've had for nearly 40 years - so I confess I'm a bit of petrolhead. (Note to self - must get round to selling the Elan - not moved for ten years).
This is the first German car I've ever owned. Also the best car (by far) I've ever owned (and cheaper than some of them).
Even though it's broken down I don't change my view - I just want it back!
To me, it drives like a small car. It sits on 17" rims for comfort - so no (silly in my eyes) low profile stuff.
I find the handling astonishing for a two ton car. I've never come close to losing it and have thrown it about a bit on occasion. Sure, it's not going to handle like a small, sorted AMG (probably). But I've got astonishing ride comfort, decent performance while not breaking the bank on fuel, and room inside to hold a party ;)
I find this rental E250 cramped, miss (what may seem trivial) things like; door stays open at any point, steering wheel and seat move out of the way for easy exit/entry - and just miss my baby!
If you've not driven one - I strongly suggest you do.

Steve
(Mercedes convert)

All this just for owning a Mercedes and having it serviced. I think it's incredible. Whether I'll be as happy with the repair bill and the response from Warranty Direct remains to be seen.
Why aren't Mercedes shouting about this cover in their sales promotions?
'

Quite a few manufacturers offer similar cover - daughter's little Mitsubishi Colt has Mitsubishi Assistance Plan which runs for 10 years if the car is dealer serviced and wife's Honda Jazz has Hondacare Assistance. Both have much more extensive coverage than Mobilo (one of the pains with Mobilo is there are, I think, four different schemes depending on when the car was registered).

What's more surprising to me is how lacking other makes are - bought other daughter a VW Golf a couple of years ago and was amazed to find it only comes with 1yr breakdown/assistance cover and that's yer lot.

At the other extreme, the Lexus scheme covers owners even if they're a passenger in someone else's car!

Last edited:
the only time I've needed Mobilo ..

I had a tyre problem ..

NOT covered :(

the only time I've needed Mobilo ..

I had a tyre problem ..

NOT covered :(

Yes, you do need to be careful, or at least aware, that once the car is over 3-4yrs old most versions of Mobilo only cover breakdown. Other marques Assistance plans carry on with comprehensive coverage for much longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom