MOBILO-LIFE and MOBILO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hawk20

MB Enthusiast
Car
ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
MOBILO-LIFE and MOBILO

There seems to be much confusion about Mobilo-Life and its replacement MOBILO. I hope this summary may help.

Subject to terms and conditions on servicing at an MB dealer, all cars with Mobilo-Life or more recently Mobilo are covered for 30 years from 1st registration for such things as breakdowns due to mechanical or electrical defects. In addition, there is Minor Mishaps cover for a broad array of problems including punctures (single puncture in some cases and multiple punctures in others), flat battery due to lights left on, wrong fuel, out of fuel, keys locked inside vehicle, keys lost or stolen, incorrect oil or coolant levels, and for some age brackets cover is given for Water ingress, Multiple flat tyres and Accidents/Vandalism.

My brother had two tyres slashed on a three year old A class. He needed to get to a golf match. He phoned Mobilo and they rushed him a hire car and while he was playing sent out a local tyre firm to replace the damaged tyres.

The first two years of Minor mishaps cover comes from the manufacturer; in the UK minor mishaps cover is topped up for a third year by MBUK.

Vehicles registered between 24 October 1998 to 31 December 2003

Period of unconditional cover: - 4 years (48 months) from initial registration. This includes minor mishaps cover.

Once the vehicle is 4 years old, it must be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions by a Mercedes-Benz Authorised Repairer to retain breakdown cover for a maximum of 30 years. If after year 4, the vehicle misses a service or a service is carried out outside the Mercedes-Benz network, MobiloLife does not apply and cannot be reinstated.

It is not possible to extend the length of cover for minor mishaps beyond the initial 4 years.
Water ingress, Multiple flat tyres and Accident/Vandalism are not covered for cars in this age bracket. Wrong fuel is not covered for cars registered after July 1st 2002 and before 31st December 2003.

Vehicles registered between 1st January 2004 to 31st March 2008

Period of unconditional cover: - 2 years (24 months) from initial registration

Once the vehicle reaches it's 3rd year, cover is renewed each time a scheduled service is carried out by a Mercedes-Benz Authorised Repairer and remains valid until the next service is due, for a maximum of 30 years. If a service is overdue or has been carried out outside the Mercedes-Benz network at the time of assistance, from the 3rd year, Mobilo does not apply. This can be reinstated by the completion of a Mercedes-Benz service.

3rd year is covered only by Additional Benefits (Top-up) for vehicles registered in the UK within the above dates, and if the service has continued to be carried out by a Mercedes-Benz Authorised Repairer. This includes the full list of minor mishaps cover which for this age group includes Water ingress, Multiple flat tyres and Accident/Vandalism.

So minor mishaps such as punctures are covered for three years subject to MB servicing after year two –BUT sadly IMO cannot be extended beyond three years.

Vehicles registered from 1 April 2008

Period of unconditional cover: - 4 years (48 months) from initial registration

For this age bracket –joy of joys – all the minor mishaps are covered for 30 years subject to MB servicing.

Once the vehicle reaches it's 5th year, Mobilo is renewed each time a scheduled service is carried out by a Mercedes-Benz Authorised Repairer and remains valid until the next service is due, for a maximum of 30 years. If a service is overdue or has been carried out outside the Mercedes-Benz network at the time of assistance, from the 5th year, Mobilo does not apply. This can be reinstated by the completion of a Mercedes-Benz service.

From 5th year, it is planned that cover can be renewed through a purchasable extension offer, which has yet to be determined or confirmed.

ALL AGE GROUPS get Roadside Assistance with minor repairs at location; Recovery to nearest MB Authorised Repairer; Vehicle delivery service within 25 miles of MB Authorised Repairer; Transport provision within 25 miles of MB Authorised Repairer; Replacement vehicle for 5 days (but 3 days for those registered after April 2008); train plane fares and hotel accommodation, and even repatriation if abroad when the breakdown occurs (see T’s and C’s).

(for vehicles registered from 1 April 2008): "From 5th year, it is planned that cover can be renewed through a purchasable extension offer, which has yet to be determined or confirmed."

As an alternative to maintaining MobiloLife cover through fulfilling the servicing condition presumably.

MOBILO-LIFE and MOBILO

There seems to be much confusion about Mobilo-Life and its replacement MOBILO. I hope this summary may help.

Subject to terms and conditions on servicing at an MB dealer, all cars with Mobilo-Life or more recently Mobilo are covered for 30 years from 1st registration for such things as breakdowns due to mechanical or electrical defects. In addition, there is Minor Mishaps cover for a broad array of problems including punctures (single puncture in some cases and multiple punctures in others), flat battery due to lights left on, wrong fuel, out of fuel, keys locked inside vehicle, keys lost or stolen, incorrect oil or coolant levels, and for some age brackets cover is given for Water ingress, Multiple flat tyres and Accidents/Vandalism.

My brother had two tyres slashed on a three year old A class. He needed to get to a golf match. He phoned Mobilo and they rushed him a hire car and while he was playing sent out a local tyre firm to replace the damaged tyres.

The first two years of Minor mishaps cover comes from the manufacturer; in the UK minor mishaps cover is topped up for a third year by MBUK.

Period of unconditional cover: - 4 years (48 months) from initial registration. This includes minor mishaps cover.

Once the vehicle is 4 years old, it must be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions by a Mercedes-Benz Authorised Repairer to retain breakdown cover for a maximum of 30 years. If after year 4, the vehicle misses a service or a service is carried out outside the Mercedes-Benz network, MobiloLife does not apply and cannot be reinstated.

It is not possible to extend the length of cover for minor mishaps beyond the initial 4 years.
Water ingress, Multiple flat tyres and Accident/Vandalism are not covered for cars in this age bracket. Wrong fuel is not covered for cars registered after July 1st 2002 and before 31st December 2003.

Vehicles registered between 1st January 2004 to 31st March 2008

Period of unconditional cover: - 2 years (24 months) from initial registration

Once the vehicle reaches it's 3rd year, cover is renewed each time a scheduled service is carried out by a Mercedes-Benz Authorised Repairer and remains valid until the next service is due, for a maximum of 30 years. If a service is overdue or has been carried out outside the Mercedes-Benz network at the time of assistance, from the 3rd year, Mobilo does not apply. This can be reinstated by the completion of a Mercedes-Benz service.

3rd year is covered only by Additional Benefits (Top-up) for vehicles registered in the UK within the above dates, and if the service has continued to be carried out by a Mercedes-Benz Authorised Repairer. This includes the full list of minor mishaps cover which for this age group includes Water ingress, Multiple flat tyres and Accident/Vandalism.

So minor mishaps such as punctures are covered for three years subject to MB servicing after year two –BUT sadly IMO cannot be extended beyond three years.

Vehicles registered from 1 April 2008

Period of unconditional cover: - 4 years (48 months) from initial registration

For this age bracket –joy of joys – all the minor mishaps are covered for 30 years subject to MB servicing.

Once the vehicle reaches it's 5th year, Mobilo is renewed each time a scheduled service is carried out by a Mercedes-Benz Authorised Repairer and remains valid until the next service is due, for a maximum of 30 years. If a service is overdue or has been carried out outside the Mercedes-Benz network at the time of assistance, from the 5th year, Mobilo does not apply. This can be reinstated by the completion of a Mercedes-Benz service.

From 5th year, it is planned that cover can be renewed through a purchasable extension offer, which has yet to be determined or confirmed.

ALL AGE GROUPS get Roadside Assistance with minor repairs at location; Recovery to nearest MB Authorised Repairer; Vehicle delivery service within 25 miles of MB Authorised Repairer; Transport provision within 25 miles of MB Authorised Repairer; Replacement vehicle for 5 days (but 3 days for those registered after April 2008); train plane fares and hotel accommodation, and even repatriation if abroad when the breakdown occurs (see T’s and C’s).
Thanks for the most comprehensive and informative breakdown of the subject,I know most members will find this instructive,as I did.I once slammed the door on the seat belt and it went through the plastic door speaker,as common problem on the C180 K Sports Coupes,as the belts dont retract so freely - this has happened a second time since - as the car was registered as a 55 plate and carries a mb extended approved used warranty,until July 09 - do you think they may do this again,under minor mishaps ?

Thanks for the most comprehensive and informative breakdown of the subject,I know most members will find this instructive,as I did.I once slammed the door on the seat belt and it went through the plastic door speaker,as common problem on the C180 K Sports Coupes,as the belts dont retract so freely - this has happened a second time since - as the car was registered as a 55 plate and carries a mb extended approved used warranty,until July 09 - do you think they may do this again,under minor mishaps ?
Might do it under the extended warranty if you are lucky (but not under breakdown cover IMO).

MOBILO-LIFE and MOBILO

QUOTE]

Have I been misled. I bought my ML in October 08, car registered March 2003. Before buying I noted that 2 services had been carried out by independants. I asked the salesman about Mobilo-Life and he assured me that when they serviced the car (before handing over to me) that it would be automatically re-registered in the Mobilo-Life scheme.
Having read the above I have found my purchase details and find 3 bits of related information:-
1) On the Customer Colection Checklist, under "emergency assistance" they have written "12 months Mondial Assistance"
2) Also on the Customer Colection Checklist, under "Checklist" they have ticked a box stating that they have provided "Full membership details for Mondial Assistance or Mobilo guarantee"
3) On a seperate sheet headed Warranty Summary Information, under "Benefits" they list Roadside Assistance for 12 months.

From my discussions with the salesman I understood that Mobilo-Life would be re-activated with their service and would be renewed each time I had it serviced so long as there was no more than 24 months between services.

I should have checked the paperwork more thoroughly when collecting the car, however, as this was discussed when leaving the deposit 2 weeks earlier, surely the salesman should have brought this to my attention?

As an aside, no Mobilo-Life or Mondial Assistance information has been provided.

The reference to mondial assistance will come from the car having an MB warranty - in your case probably 'approved used car', but also true for 'extended' Tier 1 or Tier 2 warranties. It's just part of the package, as is MOT cover. Mondial operate these warranties, and the recovery service for MB, and other marques.

Based on what you describe, you have breakdown cover for 12 months, but not Mobilo. Not sure what you can do about it now either.

Piff, I would take in a copy of what I have posted. Remind them what they told you. Ask them to put in writing that Mobilo has been re-instated. If they will. If they won't they are guilty of misrepresentation. It was probably an honest mistake by the salesman as the situation is complex as my posting shows. But I think -if they won't put matters right- that you have a good case to raise with MBUK if the car was approved used from an MB dealer.

Piff, I would take in a copy of what I have posted. Remind them what they told you. Ask them to put in writing that Mobilo has been re-instated. If they will. If they won't they are guilty of misrepresentation. It was probably an honest mistake by the salesman as the situation is complex as my posting shows. But I think -if they won't put matters right- that you have a good case to raise with MBUK if the car was approved used from an MB dealer.

Car was from an approved uk MB dealer, (part of a large independant multi-franchise chain).

There is another issue with the car. On inspection, before deposit paid, a number of faults were noted which the salesman agreed to rectify. As the price had just been dropped, he would not negotiate on price, I therefore paid the full asking price, even paid extra for tax disc!

One of the faults was rust around wheel arches & tailgate release handle. Salesman claimed not to have much money in the car (hence not moving on price). He said that they have a very good bodyshop & would speak to the foreman/manager to sort out the rust. I was of the opinion that we were dealing with all 4 wheel arches.

When collecting the car the salesman showed me round (and again I thought he pointed to all 4 wheel arches) to show me what a good job had been done.

I washed the car just before Christmas (2 months after purchase) to find that the rust had returned around the tailgate release handle, both rear wheel arches, a tiny spot on the front offside wheel arch & peeling/wrinkling paint on the front nearside arch.

I advised the salesman by e-mail (dealership is 180 miles from home) and he replied that they could not do anything before christmas but would be in touch in the new year to arrange to collect the car for inspection. He also advised that they had not touched the front arches!!!

Over christmas, the front & rear cigar lighters packed up (not the fuse, I've checked that).

Last Friday, as I hadn't heared from him, I e-mailed him again to remind him of the rust issues & to ask them to sort out the cigar lighters (warranty?). To date no reply.

Then reading this post last night caused me to get out the paperwork.

I'm now quite concerned. When purchasing the car he asked me how long I intended to keep it (no doubt to find out when they could sell me a replacement) I answered 10 years as I intended to use it as a work vehicle which included heavy towing, possibly running it into the ground!

With this intended long term ownership, the mobilo-life was important to me. Without it, I might as well have bought a Nissan/Mitsubishi/Discovery (delete as appropriate!)

Informal legal advice would be appreciated.

Should I be looking to reject/return the car? Should I be looking for compensation equal to 25 years roadside assistance (etc)? Does the lack of Mobilo-Life seriously devalue a complex vehicle to the extent that I would be unable to sell it if I needed to?

Then reading this post last night caused me to get out the paperwork.

I'm now quite concerned. When purchasing the car he asked me how long I intended to keep it (no doubt to find out when they could sell me a replacement) I answered 10 years as I intended to use it as a work vehicle which included heavy towing, possibly running it into the ground!

With this intended long term ownership, the mobilo-life was important to me. Without it, I might as well have bought a Nissan/Mitsubishi/Discovery (delete as appropriate!)

Informal legal advice would be appreciated.

Should I be looking to reject/return the car? Should I be looking for compensation equal to 25 years roadside assistance (etc)? Does the lack of Mobilo-Life seriously devalue a complex vehicle to the extent that I would be unable to sell it if I needed to?

I do not think lack of MobiloLife will affect your resale much -if at all - in later years. Most people don't know the details and many owners use indies for servicing. However, it is important to you, and IMO is of considerable value (even if many others do not appreciate that fact.

Yes I would try to hand the car back and insist on one with full MBSH and MobiloLife. That should -at the very least- prompt some serious action at their end. Ask to deal with the Sales Director.

The AA want £150 per year for full breakdown cover for me and my wife and want a further £100 if you like to go to France for Hols/ weekend breaks etc. Mobilo is important to some and of considerable value.

MobiloLife offers a lifetime warranty – for up to 30 years – for all Mercedes-Benz cars. This only applies where maintenance services have been carried out regularly in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and by a Mercedes-Benz Service Station from the fifth year after delivery of the vehicle by the DaimlerChrysler Organisation. The car should have been serviced not more than 2 years prior to the date of the claim. This can easily be verified by the workshop entry in the following Service Booklet.
My registration date is 31/3/03
Services were at
19/4/04 Main Dealer
21/4/05 Main Dealer
26/6/07 Indi
9/7/08 Indi
Does this mean that mine is still in the MobiloLife scheme? Was I right or wrong to base my case for rejection on the lack of MobiloLife?

edit:
I've just done the sums - the fifth year would have commenced on 31/03/07, therefore both indi services are after the start of the fifth year. I guess that should be proof enough.

Further question:
I've had a removable towbar fitted with dedicated wiring at a cost of nearly £470. Should I push them to "buy" this off me?

Last edited:
Piff, I don't know details of your case, but is this the relevant section for your car from the 1st posting?

"Vehicles registered between 24 October 1998 to 31 December 2003

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom