Mobilo-life /servicing on the NEW 'A' Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lofty

Car
MercedesA160/2002
Had a word with MB yesterday about the value of Mobilo-life or otherwise!
I was surprised to hear that membership ceases at twelve months I.e. the service span on the 'A' Class, if you have not had the car serviced within the twelve months from the last service date.
When you get your car serviced BY MB the membership continues unhindered.

Also, NEW 'A' Class owners, I have been told that the service span between services is 2 years, HOWEVER when you book your service MB will not be able to give you the cost, because they cannot determine which service (A B C D to H) is due on the car until they connect it to the diagnostics.
Can owners of the New 'A' throw any more light on this, I appreciate you will not have had your cars serviced yet! Are there any running problems?
Would love to know before I replace my 'A'
Lofty :bannana:

Only 500 miles in, but we have had one problem, the engine was a bit noisy/rattly at certain revs. It was like that from day one. Took it to the dealer and compared it with another A170 and ours was noisier. The dealer had a look on the database and it seems that there is a TSB on the timing chain tensioner. The tensioner was replaced with a modified part (today actually) and the engine is much quieter. Probably just first model year teething problems.

Just checked the wifes new A180 CDI manual and had a quick peek inside. The manual say's as per service indicator or twelve months and the service indicator says Service B in 11606 miles.

No problems either other than the silly mare managing to kerb the gorgeous 17" alloys already and then blaming the kerb height, not the fact that she can't bloody park :mad:

So 50% answering the thread have had problems Wow that's not good.
I will have another go on Monday and see if I can get further information out of MB head office. It seems to me that these services are set to keep MB in business not to keep the car running well?
I let you no the outcome but don't hold your breath, Head Office won't know a NEW 'A' Class has been released yet!
lofty :bannana:

Hi Lofty,

I dont think a sample of two people is statistically very significant :)

Personally, I think it is asking a lot for any modern car to be 100% perfect. There is always going to be the odd thing that needs looking at, especially in the first year of a new model. Thats what the warranty is for. As long as it is just the odd thing and not a long list of problems, I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Edit: If it helps, in 12 months of the New A class being on sale, mine is one of the first ones my dealer has had in for work.

Last edited:
My wife is very pleased with her new car and I'm impressed too. It feels very solid, defies it's size, loads of smart little touches that set it aside from the rest and is a pleasure to drive. I still prefer mine but if I had to have a small car a new A Class would be top of the list. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom