Mobilo to the Rescue, Eventually!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450h F-Sport with Takumi Pack 2020
I suppose it had to happen at some point.

I went out to car this morning 10:15, pressed the remote and nothing...
Used the blade key to open the car, alarm went off (first time I'd heard it!!) pushed the key into the ignition, nothing, couldn't even turn the thing.

Back indoors, called Mobilo. Was asked for car reg, mileage and does it have FMBSH? Which it does. I was told they were exceptionally busy this morning and she would ring back with an ETA.

20min later I was called back to say technician would arrive in approx 40min. After a couple of more updates the tech arrived around 12:40! He checked the battery - 6.4V, obviously dead! Jump started the car checked again - 14.4V, charging ok.

I called my MB dealership explained the situation said I would be calling in for a new battery in 10min. When I arrived I was greeted by name as soon as I walked in, my car taken into the workshop and new battery fitted. 40min later I was driving home.

So, approx 4hrs later (and a missed lunch appointment) all sorted, no charge, covered under Service-Plus.

That's good service.
Did they check for a constant current drain, as this would be the most likely culprit (IMHO of course)
Wouldn't want it to happen again.

My dealer would probably have pretended to test the battery and told me it was fine!

When did you last use the car? I'm hardly using mine at the moment - hope it survives the cold weather.

That's good service.
Did they check for a constant current drain, as this would be the most likely culprit (IMHO of course)
Wouldn't want it to happen again.

I would have expected MB to do this, otherwise it's another battery from Service-Plus?

My dealer would probably have pretended to test the battery and told me it was fine!

When did you last use the car? I'm hardly using mine at the moment - hope it survives the cold weather.

It's been in daily use ~ 60mls min each day. It did rest Sunday but the tech's opinion was it had reached the end of it's serviceable life. One or more cells gone.

I had the same happen on my previous diesel battery fine in the morning, dead in the afternoon. Diesels are very hard on batteries

the tech's opinion was it had reached the end of it's serviceable life.

I'm not sure I've ever bought a new battery, even on wifey's cars, which we usually keep for 5-6 years. I did send a possibly dodgy one of hers back with a company car once (it was as if it was too big for her car but was fine in heavily used company car). Company owned so no leasing company to notice.

Was your's a heavy duty battery? It's shown on mine as a fitted option (no. 673). It will no doubt fail the day after ServicePlus expires!

Was your's a heavy duty battery? It's shown on mine as a fitted option (no. 673). It will no doubt fail the day after ServicePlus expires!

Yes, high capacity battery 673 but the tech commented it was a small battery for a big diesel with so much electronics :dk:

It's been in daily use ~ 60mls min each day. It did rest Sunday but the tech's opinion was it had reached the end of it's serviceable life. One or more cells gone.

I had the same happen on my previous diesel battery fine in the morning, dead in the afternoon. Diesels are very hard on batteries
4 years is quite short life though, my last few battery replacements have been farily consistently when the battery has been 6 years old (petrol cars though - will glow plug starts really make that much difference).

The result has very similar though, no warning, just flat one morning - the last one wouldn't hold charge until lunchtime, after driving 40 miles to work, had to get a jump to go to the dealers for a new battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom