Mobilolife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dieselman- i think thats possibly something to do with it

What i quoted to you all was in fact from a policies and procedures handbook for mobilolife but your right the grey side of mobilolife was probably something to do with the company mondial who run the program in the uk for merc.
I have read posts on this forum where members contact Mobilo and they have a private contractor attend.

You are talking as someone who is an authority on this topic so can you explain how you say this is policy..... but here in the South-West ever since Mobilo came out we have always had main dealer coverage? We phone Mobilo, Mobilo contacts the local are where we have broken down and a technician will attend from a main dealer.

I fully accept that other members have had different experiences and the majority might well have private contractors that attend but is that a National policy?

regards
John

Right going to throw a spanner in the works here.. just read the MB website http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/con.../home/ownership/roadside_assistance.0002.html

and there appears to be a differance in the Mobolife service if your car was registered before 1st April 2008 or is in its 5 year of Mobolife compared to cars registered after 1st April 2008.

Not sure exactly the differances are but doesnt come as a surprise since they started messing about with their other post purchase services such as service plus.

Anyone know what the differance is as I am relying on it on for my 4 yr W211 and presumed I was as safe as houses and had European cover??

I travel thousands of miles per year within Europe and have done since 1997 - I have never relied on Mobilife as a 'breakdown insurance' - I strongly recommend a stand alone policy and I have been with Norwich Union Rescue for years - renewed in May 2008 and paid £93.34 for Rescue, Recovery/At Home/Onward travel/European Cover - outstanding value in my book - last trip three weeks ago was 1975 miles completed in eight days with deadlines to meet but security of this policy makes life easy

I have needed to use their service only once when a stone pierced radiator on VW camper en route to Zurich for work - collected vehicle within one hour on Belgium border, taken to VW garage, Hotel and back on the road mid day next day. Aside of replacement radiator costs, all other costs paid for by Nrowich Union - Could not fault this service and will remain with them

I travel thousands of miles per year within Europe and have done since 1997 - I have never relied on Mobilife as a 'breakdown insurance' - I strongly recommend a stand alone policy and I have been with Norwich Union Rescue for years - renewed
Have you ever tried using Mobilo when abroad?

I have only read excellent reviews from members that have broken down
including posts where he car is out of warranty but new parts have been fitted as 'goodwill' gestures.

By out of warranty I mean the car is over three years of age but still under the Mobilo umbrella.

I am NOT suggesting we should not get a separate cover, I am simply saying that those folks that have used Mobilo sing its praises. (No doubt someone will chirp up with a bad experience but that will also apply regarding stand alone policies) :)

John

John

No I have not and will not. I prefer to trust a proven 'breakdown policy' for which I pay peanuts in the overall scheme of things.

The thought of discussions/arguments/grief with 'foreign attending staff' as to whether vehicle is covered or not does not appeal to me one bit - all my MB's have been serviced fully to MB requirements by MB dealers but given other points in this discussion, I prefer to avoid the possiblility of verbal punchups at a time when I need assistance.

I think we all understand that goal posts are sometimes moved by MB without many of us understanding or knowing, service plus being a prime example. I was brought up to stand on my own two feet and as such am more than comfortable with my own supplied emergency breakdown policy which is controlled by me on renewal if any changes in provided cover are identified, not the whim of some number cruncher elsewhere !!!

Bill

I have read posts on this forum where members contact Mobilo and they have a private contractor attend.

Reality is that with AA, RAC, or whoever then there has always been an issue of coverage out of daytime hours and in some areas.

If you ring up the AA these days and it's say midnight and you're in a city you won't necessarily get AA attendance. Same goes for getting stuck in some remote country area.

Point is surely that you have a contact point and they sort out something.

The advantage of Mobilo is that it gets your MB to an authorised MB dealer/service centre. With other organisations then it's their choice of where they recover you to.

John

No I have not and will not. I prefer to trust a proven 'breakdown policy' for which I pay peanuts in the overall scheme of things.

The thought of discussions/arguments/grief with 'foreign attending staff' as to whether vehicle is covered or not does not appeal to me one bit - all my MB's have been serviced fully to MB requirements by MB dealers but given other points in this discussion, I prefer to avoid the possiblility of verbal punchups at a time when I need assistance.

I think we all understand that goal posts are sometimes moved by MB without many of us understanding or knowing, service plus being a prime example. I was brought up to stand on my own two feet and as such am more than comfortable with my own supplied emergency breakdown policy which is controlled by me on renewal if any changes in provided cover are identified, not the whim of some number cruncher elsewhere !!!

Bill
Well said Bill
GREEN FLAG for me great company and give you lots for your money plenty of policies to choose from as well

I travel thousands of miles per year within Europe and have done since 1997 - I have never relied on Mobilife as a 'breakdown insurance' -

I've seen reports of people using it abroad and it's worked fine.

The main limitation seems to be that once the car is a few years old - exactly how old is confusing, somewhere between 2 & 4 yrs old - the minor incident cover ceases, so, for example, if you have tyre that you can't changed (might be an issue even in the UK if your wife drives the car) or if you run out of fuel (or miss-fuel the car) then you have to pay the full cost of their attendance.

I've seen reports of people using it abroad and it's worked fine.

The main limitation seems to be that once the car is a few years old - exactly how old is confusing, somewhere between 2 & 4 yrs old - the minor incident cover ceases, so, for example, if you have tyre that you can't changed (might be an issue even in the UK if your wife drives the car) or if you run out of fuel (or miss-fuel the car) then you have to pay the full cost of their attendance.

Rory

I rest my case !

For me, all my European travel is business and not for annual holidays. I can just imagine the grief should someone be on their anticipated happy annual holiday, venture into Europe and have a minor problem with their vehicle, to then be engaged in a battle or/then find they are not covered, having relied on a 'add on' flexible MB product with no clear guidelines. Not my cup of tea.

Rest assured, costs for breakdowns etc on European roads are not cheap and holiday funds/credit card funds will quickly diminish for the sake of 'a proper policy'.

I have also seen the grief that can occur when travellers do not have a seperate 'medical policy' which again is cheap given the cover provided. I will not go into this aspect of travel common sense but be warned, getting you back to UK is no cheap exercise should you not be able to travel as a normal passenger or indeed you are dead !!

Bill

Rory

I rest my case !

For me, all my European travel is business and not for annual holidays. I can just imagine the grief should someone be on their anticipated happy annual holiday, venture into Europe and have a minor problem with their vehicle, to then be engaged in a battle or/then find they are not covered, having relied on a 'add on' flexible MB product with no clear guidelines. Not my cup of tea.

Rest assured, costs for breakdowns etc on European roads are not cheap and holiday funds/credit card funds will quickly diminish for the sake of 'a proper policy'.

I have also seen the grief that can occur when travellers do not have a seperate 'medical policy' which again is cheap given the cover provided. I will not go into this aspect of travel common sense but be warned, getting you back to UK is no cheap exercise should you not be able to travel as a normal passenger or indeed you are dead !!

Bill
Whilst resting your case here is some interesting reading

Whilst resting your case here is some interesting reading

Glojo

I still rest my case having read this saga - at least it was a warranty job regarding replacement and best part of one week of his holiday up the creek, plus the stress and worry - just imagine if this vehicle was outside of MB warranty, and you are paying, what fun !

Bill

Bill

I think the point was that it was outside the warrenty, but MB repaired Free of Charge under the goodwill scheme. Had the car been recovered by a non MB recovery, it may not have ended up at an MB dealership, and then Brian could really have been out of pocket!

David

Glojo

I still rest my case having read this saga - at least it was a warranty job regarding replacement and best part of one week of his holiday up the creek, plus the stress and worry - just imagine if this vehicle was outside of MB warranty, and you are paying, what fun !

Bill
Hi Bill,
I fully endorse what your doing regarding European cover, it is belt and braces.

I am merely suggesting that Mobilo is not the ogre some folks try to make it out to be. The repair I highlighted was done when the vehicle was completely out of warranty, plus the problem could not have been repaired any quicker. If I were a business person and I plied my trade in Europe then yes I might consider a European break-down option, BUT..... my first port of call would always be Mobilo. I have used it on a number of occasions since its inception and cannot sing its praises highly enough.

We live in South Devon and at the height of the Holiday season it is not uncommon for the AA\RAC to quote a four to five hour delay. The longest I have had to wait with Mobilo has been about fifty minutes and we must remember our dealership is at Exeter.

John

Hi Bill,
I fully endorse what your doing regarding European cover, it is belt and braces.

I am merely suggesting that Mobilo is not the ogre some folks try to make it out to be. The repair I highlighted was done when the vehicle was completely out of warranty, plus the problem could not have been repaired any quicker. If I were a business person and I plied my trade in Europe then yes I might consider a European break-down option, BUT..... my first port of call would always be Mobilo. I have used it on a number of occasions since its inception and cannot sing its praises highly enough.

We live in South Devon and at the height of the Holiday season it is not uncommon for the AA\RAC to quote a four to five hour delay. The longest I have had to wait with Mobilo has been about fifty minutes and we must remember our dealership is at Exeter.

John

Hi John

Thankyou for your comments and belt and braces is indeed my philosophy when it comes to travel.

I do not consider that Mobilo is an 'ogre' but I am of the opinion that its not what people think it is, bit like Medical Form E111 for use in EU and travel/breakdown given with Bank Accounts, all very limited in their cover.

MB do make the situation more complicated by changing/altering rules by year of registration for example, hence this discussion and confusion amongst some owners.

Spending most of my recent working life outside UK in such diverse places as Iraq, Sudan and Europe and so on, does make me a touch wiser with checking what is what with regard to any policy cover. I am 61 years of age and consider myself 'worldly wise' by experience. Hence, my use of independant insurance travel/medical/breakdown. For what it costs, its peanuts and at least you are fully aware of all conditions etc and make a calculated decision based on these. They are not normally open to interpretation as terms and conditions are laid out.

It all comes to trust in a product which is suitable for its purpose for you as an individual

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom