mock interview pulled up for being non PC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricardo62

Car
e320
Hi I had a mock interview test earlier today ran by a training company , I am a bit annoyed and perplexed .
In one of the trial questions I was asked to explain equality in the workplace , my answer was it means companys are not allowed to discriminate on the grounds that a person might be of a different ethnic background or gay or lesbian , or mentally or physically handicapped etc etc .
In the feedback after I was told I can not say handicapped nowadays .
Im annoyed I was not being derogatory , but im told that I was ,well im sorry but that's how it was back in the 80s and it was fine then ,now all of a sudden the pc brigade have stepped in and censor what is allowed , I was also told off later in my interview for using the old saying calling a spade a spade as it could be termed racist ! ffs its an old saying meaning being blunt and to the point! like other old terms , strike while the hammers hot, beat about the bush, hit the nail on the head ,many a slip tween cup and lip etc etc ,well I refuse to change just to please the pc brigade ,and I am not discriminatory I just say it as it is , but I was told unless I drag myself into the modern world and stop using these terms I will be unemployable ,, the worlds gone raving mad!! rant over

Hi I had a mock interview test earlier today ran by a training company , I am a bit annoyed and perplexed .
In one of the trial questions I was asked to explain equality in the workplace , my answer was it means companys are not allowed to discriminate on the grounds that a person might be of a different ethnic background or gay or lesbian , or mentally or physically handicapped etc etc .
In the feedback after I was told I can not say handicapped nowadays .
Im annoyed I was not being derogatory , but im told that I was ,well im sorry but that's how it was back in the 80s and it was fine then ,now all of a sudden the pc brigade have stepped in and censor what is allowed , I was also told off later in my interview for using the old saying calling a spade a spade as it could be termed racist ! ffs its an old saying meaning being blunt and to the point! like other old terms , strike while the hammers hot, beat about the bush, hit the nail on the head ,many a slip tween cup and lip etc etc ,well I refuse to change just to please the pc brigade ,and I am not discriminatory I just say it as it is , but I was told unless I drag myself into the modern world and stop using these terms I will be unemployable ,, the worlds gone raving mad!! rant over

Them's the rules. HR usually have little to do i a an interview other these types of questions. You won't gain a job by the answers, but you might lose it.

Them's the rules. HR usually have little to do i a an interview other these types of questions. You won't gain a job by the answers, but you might lose it.
Thanks for reply ,yes there the rules but in my opinion ridiculous what is wrong with saying handicapped , im not being abusive im just saying it as it is , if a person has spina bifida then there handicapped , and please believe me I do not discriminate I just say it as it is ! and for petes sake cant say a spade a spade anymore !!! in case it upsets a black person , I will try to adapt but it wont be easy.

Thanks for reply ,yes there the rules but in my opinion ridiculous what is wrong with saying handicapped , im not being abusive im just saying it as it is , if a person has spina bifida then there handicapped , and please believe me I do not discriminate I just say it as it is ! and for petes sake cant say a spade a spade anymore !!! in case it upsets a black person , I will try to adapt but it wont be easy.

you are not allowed to say Black person either! Its been like this for ages where have you been?:doh:

Tony.

I guess disabled has replaced handicapped, however, I'd not bounce you for using such a term.

At least it was a mock, so you'll know next time.

you are not allowed to say Black person either! Its been like this for ages where have you been?:doh:

Tony.
working as my own boss last 25 yrs , not answerable to antone but myself so I guess that's had something to do with it , its a whole new ball game now having to gain employment as an employee ? and call me naïve but I didn't realise you could not say black person , after all we are white people so what is the problem , no one gets upset as being described as a white person , its just saying it as it is ?

I think your real mistake was being too detailed. You could have said that company are not allowed to discriminate and must treat all on equal merits.

All contentious terms avoided.

I totally agree its gone crazy but what can you do ? You have to abide by the ridiculous rules or your ****ed!

Tony.

The thing is if I now have to think very carefully of words and phrases I use in an interview instead of letting the words flow naturally I will end up a stammering uming and ahhring wreck and it will give the impression I cant string a sentence together instead of just being natural and myself ..

I dare say your spelling and grammar will be your biggest hurdle to achieving gainful employment. That bit hasn't changed since the eighties...

But funnily enough, although I actually enjoy your off-the-wall posts, I genuinely struggle to make sense of what you're trying to say at times.

David Powell gave the correct answer. Too much detail in your reply.

Having said that the company who you were dealing with need some training themselves. Your response is not incorrect handicapped is a valid term and is not in itself discriminatory or offensive. The manner and context in which it is used may be considered offensive but that could be a debating point and not one that should have been held up to you in the manner you say it was.

Over zealous PC types who earn money training people for jobs that they have never done themselves or are ever likely to be hired for themselves.

Trust me my oratory skills are a damn sight better than my spelling , without trying to sound big headed , but I can hold a very good conversation .

I dare say your spelling and grammar will be your biggest hurdle to achieving gainful employment. That bit hasn't changed since the eighties...

But funnily enough, although I actually enjoy your off-the-wall posts, I genuinely struggle to make sense of what you're trying to say at times.
forgive me but isn't that why Dictaphones were invented , and secretarys to write letters on your behalf ?

forgive me but isn't that why Dictaphones were invented , and secretarys to write letters on your behalf ?

Now you ARE showing your time out of the office workplace :crazy:.

Now you ARE showing your time out of the office workplace :crazy:.
BRING BACK THE GOOD OLD DAYS ! Remington electric typewriters and fax machines , and memos , and P A,s not powere assisted steering or public address systems but the other pa .oh and shorthand typists , does anyone do that still?

Last edited:
I used to use a Dictaphone.

Now I use my fingers like everyone else.

The old ones are the best!........

I've been a wheelchair user for 10 years. Even the term disabled, which I prefer, manages to annoy some of the super PC brigade. I'd correct you if you called me handicapped but wouldn't take any offence. I can't cope with terms like "differently abled" and other such tosh.

As I see it, you were getting a mock interview to help you in the jobs market. Whether the feedback is right or wrong, they have done you a favour and it's more sensible to take it as a useful comment than get all uppity about it.

For the record, calling a spade a spade originated from Plutarch and long pre-dates any concept of racism. If someone pulled me up on it, I'd politely give them the history lesson and suggest that it way in fact they who were racist.

By the way, I know of one council where the term "black plastic bag" for a refuse sack was banned. Their purchasing people were instructed to buy such waste receptacles in other colours. Lunacy.

I used to use a Dictaphone.

Now I use my fingers like everyone else.

The old ones are the best!........
boom boom !! lol
Actually im going to remminise I remember going to work with my late father to his office in stratford London , the company he worked for having left sweda cash registers , was a company called TEC uk ltd , a subsidiary of Toshiba , his title was sales director and his company car was a Datsun 280 c saloon , w reg , the office staff at lunchtime inc some secretarys all used to retire to the local pub for an hour or two , that was the norm back then ,they would have meetings around the table and discuss business , My fathers P A would sit opp his desk and take notes dwn to be typed up , the sales staff had Dictaphones and these would be given to there secretarys to be typed up and letters sent , ahh the days I look back fondly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom